"I MUST BREAK YOU" festival in LA!!! (April 18, 2009)

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: "I MUST BREAK YOU" festival in LA!!! (April 18)

Postby Jox on 17 Apr 2009, 09:45

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40782
Does it get any better than that? Perhaps. How do you feel about Dolph Lundgren? Me, too. Now how do you feel about an all-day, five-film Dolph-a-thon?

From Phil Blankenship, the mad genius who brought you January's Festival of Swords and Sorcery, it's "I Must Break You: The Films of Dolph Lundgren". It all starts at 4 PM on Saturday at the New Beverly, and it's going to be a Creed-killin' good time. Here's the lineup:

Red Scorpion (1989) 4pm
dir. Joseph Zito, starring Dolph Lundgren, M. Emmet Walsh, Al White, T.P. McKenna, Brion James

Universal Soldier (1992) 6pm
dir. Roland Emmerich, starring Dolph Lundgren, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Ally Walker, Jerry Orbach

Rocky IV (1985) 8pm
dir. Sylvester Stallone, starring Sylvester Stallone, Dolph Lundgren, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Brigitte Nielsen

The Punisher (1989) 10pm
Original Director's Cut - Director Mark Goldblatt IN PERSON
dir. Mark Goldblatt, starring Dolph Lundgren, Louis Gossett Jr.

I Come In Peace (1990) Midnight
dir. Craig R. Baxley, starring Dolph Lundgren, Brian Benben, Betsy Brantley, Matthias Hues

Please note that's the "Original Director's Cut" of THE PUNISHER with Academy Award-nominated editor (for TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY) Mark Goldblatt in attendance. His other film as a director? DEAD HEAT. You're so there.

You might as well just call in sick for the next two days and pitch a tent out front of The New Beverly tonight. I'll see you there.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 17 Apr 2009, 22:14

Did you check out the user comments? They're all crazy about it! Gosh I wish they would do this over here...
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 20 Apr 2009, 03:36

Too bad i don't live in LA or else i would attend, but did anyone in this forum who lives close by attend??
Warchild
Regular

Postby The Robin on 20 Apr 2009, 10:43

I feel like a huge jerk for not going. :oops:

I live BARELY 20 minutes from the theater, and I didn't freaking go.

I am SHAMED!
RIP Charles "Mask" Lewis! TapouT will never be the same.
^^ My Avatar ^^
Always an active American Gladiator!
The Robin

Postby Luigi on 20 Apr 2009, 12:25

Did anyone go? It's a shame that a swedish cinema never have thought of this idea before. With all the new hype surrounding Dolph in Sweden, it would not be such a bad idea!
Luigi

Postby Jox on 20 Apr 2009, 14:07

The Robin wrote:I feel like a huge jerk for not going. :oops:

I am SHAMED!

You should! :evil:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 20 Apr 2009, 14:23

The Robin wrote:I feel like a huge jerk for not going. :oops:

I am SHAMED!

WHAT!? Thas insane. Why didn´t you go? I live in Sweden and I almost went!!! We´ve gotta support the Big Guy, people!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2009, 01:51

Review of THE PUNISHER
http://www.entertainmentbuff.com/the-punisher-1989/

And by the way another fan (he knows who he is) living close-by managed to ditch the Dolph fest when none of us could: shame on you guys, don't you realize how rare this event was anywhere anytime in the world?! It makes me so mad I could ban you for this but lucky you I'm such a nice guy ;) :mrgreen:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2009, 01:59

From Max Goldblatt's blog (Mark's son)

And........

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 21 Apr 2009, 21:37

Hah, the last one is hilarious! Dolph looks so sinister while Louis Gossett jr. is so silly and the little one is so cute. Is that Max? Great childhood memory I must say! I wonder... is that director's cut on any of the current DVD releases? It seems that there's a whole bunch of version out now all over the world but I'm not sure which one would be the best. And if there will be a Blue Ray soon (if the quality of the existing material allows for something better than DVD quality).
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Apr 2009, 00:57

In a nutshell because this could be a lengthy topic:

No PUNISHER director's cut on DVD.

And all the DVDs available (most not legit) were made from the same main source (region 1) + VHS for restored cuts...

Probably no Blu-ray any time soon because as I might have mentioned before:
It sounded unlikely that the uncut version of the film will ever wind up on DVD in the States, since nobody seems to know who owns the rights.
from http://www.entertainmentbuff.com/the-punisher-1989/
...and that's a worldwide issue, a friend of mine wanted to launch his French DVD company by releasing a PUNISHER collector edition (for which I would have worked on) but couldn't because we found out all the rights were kind of MIA...

P.S. I think Dolph was kind of doing method acting on this film so he was staying in character as much as possible, although it didn't keep him from partying...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 22 Apr 2009, 02:15

I did hear Dolph liked partying during the late 80's/early 90's. You never hear many bad stories though so thank goodness he was sensible enough not too provoke too much media coverage of sandalous stories.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 22 Apr 2009, 10:21

Nathan wrote:You never hear many bad stories though so thank goodness he was sensible enough not too provoke too much media coverage of sandalous stories.

A couple of years ago there was some chick in London (was it?) who claimed that Dolph "duffed her up (that´s what the reporter called it)". The story died out pretty fast since Dolph, reportedly, was not even in the country at the time of the event. But it stirred some emotions on this forum.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion