Just a thought..

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Just a thought..

Postby thundereyes on 25 Feb 2009, 20:13

Would it be nice to have him in new movie , "The Karate Kid"..playing a mean karate teacher opposite with Jackie Chan..? It 'll be a blast to see them together.
thundereyes

Re: Just a thought..

Postby Nathan on 25 Feb 2009, 20:27

That'd be really great. Hopefully The Expendables will do wonders for his career and he will be offered a few high-profile co-starring roles in the coming years if his performance is great.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Warchild on 26 Feb 2009, 05:17

I really don't like Dolph playing all of a sudden just bad guys, i mean US3 is an exception and expendables but i hope i doesn't start going that route just makin movies as villain all the time
Warchild
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 26 Feb 2009, 09:38

I'm all for him playing more villains. He hasn't done any since MNEMONIC and it's his bad guy turns that have gotten him the most mainstream success. Of course I want to also see him playing good guys as well but he has always excelled at being an antagonist in the past so he should play to that strength.

The KARATE KID remake probably has zero chance of being any good, but getting Lundgren to play the part that Martin Kove had in the original would be clever casting.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 26 Feb 2009, 10:55

Interesting idea, but I'm a huge fan of the original KARATE KID and utterly despise this remake project. (Hollywood wouldn't be that smart to give Dolph a part in such a mainstream movie anyway)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 26 Feb 2009, 18:17

You know I have never seen the Karate Kid but I hate remakes, especially to classic movies. Why don't they remake bad movies? Some people might say, because they are bad...but surely it's better to make something bad into something good than to ruin classic movies...
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby MikeR on 27 Feb 2009, 00:12

I was probably just abit too old to ever think of the KK as a 'classic' - but what is it with Hollywood at the moment? The 80s and 90s are being stripmined for remakes almost as if the original movies are somehow defective.

My eyebrows were raised when they said they want to redo Robocop, but today they nearly hit the ceiling with news that there are plans to do another version of 'Total Recall'! I admit I nearly fell off my seat when I saw TR was originally released in 1990, but does it really need a remake just because movie-making technology has advanced?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53284

And, I for one, would be heartbroken to think that anyone would try to top Sharon Stone kicking the living daylights out of Arnie scenes.

The original 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' isn't even Philip K Dick's best story and there's plenty in his back catalogue that could be filmed. Or (and this really is a radical idea) how about a genuinely new idea for a movie?
MikeR

Postby Craigie-Boy on 26 Mar 2009, 04:53

MikeR wrote:Or (and this really is a radical idea) how about a genuinely new idea for a movie?

That's just it, though. Hollywood churns out hundreds of movies every single year - so many, in fact, that the writers seem to have all but run out of original, fresh concepts for movies. Every conceivable concept has been done to death, and it seems that all they can do now is give us remakes, sequels, spin-offs and adaptations.
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby dolphage on 26 Mar 2009, 11:23

Craigie-Boy wrote:
MikeR wrote:Or (and this really is a radical idea) how about a genuinely new idea for a movie?

That's just it, though. Hollywood churns out hundreds of movies every single year - so many, in fact, that the writers seem to have all but run out of original, fresh concepts for movies. Every conceivable concept has been done to death, and it seems that all they can do now is give us remakes, sequels, spin-offs and adaptations.

That, plus the the film companies beleive that there is a built in audience from the older version of the movie. A remake has, in a way, already been advertised and developed a following from the previous version so it´s considered a safer bet.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Craigie-Boy on 28 Mar 2009, 04:29

Yeah, but some remakes have been known to alter or even remove all but the most fundamental aspects of the original film that they're proposing to be a 'remake' of. You can't claim to be 'remaking' a movie if you're going to drastically alter the original movie's storyline, to the point where you're practically filming a completely new movie that bears little or no relation to its supposed predecessor.

Instead of looking to remake movies that are considered to possess classic status (and doing a terrible job of it nearly every time), movie studios should be trying to remake some of the WORST films that Hollywood has produced. I'd much rather see a bad movie be remade into a semi-reasonable (or, dare I say it, good) movie, than have to stand by and watch a truly great film receive a terrible remake.
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Return to General Discussion