Should Dolph return to playing the one-man-army?

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Should Dolph return to playing the one-man-army?

Postby dolphage on 10 Mar 2009, 18:08

I am of the opinion that he SHOULD.

I feel that moviegoers are just waiting for him to put on some muscle and return as a Reagan-era one-man-army. He sort of did in MM and it was AWSEOME and peolpe loved it (not just Dolphamaniacs).

I think that´s his niche. Of course, he should branch out and try different things, but his "bread and butter" should always be the "undefeatable superhuman".

Steven Seagal stuck to a similar concept and he has therefor (INCREDIBLY) remained a bigger star than Dolph (in peoples eyes) even though he kinda sucks.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Re: Should Dolph return to playing the one-man-army?

Postby Jox on 10 Mar 2009, 23:53

Good question, on one hand yeah for sure, on the other hand that's getting really old.
... and maybe in some way why he never got more because he never really departed from that concept...

I don't know, this is actually a vast question that could take endless reflection and debate, it also depends in which sense we take the question...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 11 Mar 2009, 01:24

Dolphage, I'm glad you post here, because you always seem to post things that have been running around my head, exactly the same thoughts and questions.

I have been waiting for Dolph to bulk up a lot, strap on a machine gun and rock a tattered, bloody vest for a while now!! I know it's not the 90's anymore and I know Dolph isn't as young as he used to be and that in the 2000's he's went for the slightly more mature action hero character like in Hidden Agenda or The Defender. But I think one final hurrah would be great from the man. I always LOVED Joshua Tree... :wink:...and I would love to see hundreds of unsuspecting henchmen getting blown apart in slow motion as Dolph slides along on a small wooden trolly with twin berettas. I LOVE one-man-army movies. I hope that we will see something like that in the future from Dolph, who knows if he sees some sort of a comeback he could do a proper sequel to Red Scorpion if the rights aren't tied up in legal bullshit.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 11 Mar 2009, 02:38

Nathan wrote:Dolphage, I'm glad you post here, because you always seem to post things that have been running around my head, exactly the same thoughts and questions.

Let´s get married.

Just kidding, but thank you. And I also feel that it would be great to see him revisit the old style of action again. And with the new Rambo, I think it showed that you CAN touch up on the one man army concept and make it work.

I read an inteview recently where Dolph points out that, what people want to see in their action heroes, runs in cycles. It might be time for some Joshua Tree sort of-roles on the big screen again!

I know that DL has always had bigger ambitions, and to some extent he still does, but maybe he could mix it up and play a badass in one movie and then direct a serious drama in the next. Like Clint Eastwood did for a long time before he was really aknowledged as a director. He directed films about jazz musicians (Bird) and starred as Dirty Harry (The Dead Pool) at the same time.

That should totally be the Big Guy´s future!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Warchild on 11 Mar 2009, 05:13

I agree, Army of One, Silent Trigger and even Bridge of Dragons i loved seeing him blowing hundreds of henchmen, i missed that in dolph's movies, also the military uniform, he always looks awesome, the last time we saw him in military uniform was in the last warrior, the year 2000. Loved to see him carry a Pistol, Shotgun, a Sniper Rifle and a samurai sword hehe :D Just like Gears Of War.
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2009, 17:45

dolphage wrote:I know that DL has always had bigger ambitions, and to some extent he still does, but maybe he could mix it up and play a badass in one movie and then direct a serious drama in the next. Like Clint Eastwood did for a long time before he was really aknowledged as a director. He directed films about jazz musicians (Bird) and starred as Dirty Harry (The Dead Pool) at the same time.

I guess that's he already does to an extent, going from THE DEFENDER to THE MECHANIK and now from COMMAND PERFORMANCE to ICARUS. And you know how much Dolph is a fan of Eastwood and takes him as an inspiration model, so he's very aware of how Clint led his career!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 16 Mar 2009, 12:49

Jox wrote:I guess that's he already does to an extent, going from THE DEFENDER to THE MECHANIK and now from COMMAND PERFORMANCE to ICARUS. And you know how much Dolph is a fan of Eastwood and takes him as an inspiration model, so he's very aware of how Clint led his career!

Absolutely, however they ARE still action movies. I mean, if DL would like to try his hands at real drama type stuff, he could make an action flick to please us fans and help finace his more artistic projects that he would direct himself. There are lots of actors that do that.

I beleive read an interview with Morgan Freeman where he, quite openly, said that he makes one good movie( wich he beleives in) and one not-so-great movie ( wich pays a lot) every year.

I´m not sure that´s a great idea (to have your name be associated with bad movies) but it is similar to what Clint did in some ways.

DL could try to excel at both. Amazing action flicks (as an actor) and great dramas/thrillers (as a director). If that´s what he wants.
Last edited by dolphage on 18 Mar 2009, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jack Caine on 18 Mar 2009, 22:59

Direct Contact looks like a one-man-army flick to me, as does Command Performance, with the exception of that hot fox tagging along.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby Craigie-Boy on 26 Mar 2009, 04:43

The recent Rambo movie proved that it IS possible to revive the 80s-era one-man-army movie genre. By all means, modify it to fit in a little more with todays' movie-making style if need be. Okay, Sly didn't get as physical as he did in the previous Rambo films - he didn't run around bare-chested getting into fistfights with 7-foot hulks, but he still managed to portray the invincible superhero style of action hero that we know and love from the 80s.

And if Dolph were to pack on some more muscle and do sequels to some of his earlier films, then a new Red Scorpion would be a must! Maybe even a second SILT, perhaps with Mark Dacascos replacing Brandon Lee; Dacascos took over from Lee as The Crow, after all, and the two men do look uncannily alike.
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 26 Mar 2009, 21:53

I wasn't too impressed by "John Rambo". Didn't seem like the old superhero type to me. I mean, Rambo never was a super hero anyway.

But SILT 2 with Dolph and Mark D.? Hell yes!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 30 Mar 2009, 05:51

QUICK NOTE: "One Man Amry" definitely describes Dolph in "Direct Contact."
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 07 Apr 2009, 04:19

I've seen a screener copy of "Direct Contact" and Dolph definatly returns to the one man army mode in it. I'm suprised any of Bulgaria is still standing after all the explosions in the movie. Now I just have to wait for "Command Performance" to be released on DVD in the US to see if he continues....Long live the Dolph!!
Ivan, Jr.

Return to General Discussion