MELODIFESTIVALEN 2010: Swedish Eurovision qualifications

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dolph to host swedish Eurovision Song Contest qualifications

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2009, 15:33

Aftonbladet seems to have a long interview with Dolph but can't read it unless registered
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article6122919.ab
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 14 Nov 2009, 15:59

MikeR wrote:
I was just thinking she looks like a take-charge kind of girl and I could put up with a small amount of pain... ;)

M.

Masochist, eh? Hey, why not? Whatever floats your boat.

The most interesting thing in that Aftonbladet article is that Dolph reveals that he was so happy to be accepted in Sweden again that it made him cry. I'm not joking, ask one of the other Swedes on here.

He's really going with this "sensitive guy" angle these days. That makes me (and my macho complex) very uncomfortable.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2009, 16:07

Well that what made hit a nerve with the Swedish crowd and notably women so he's playing of it now. To be honest I would have never been here if I didn't see a glimpse of this sensitive side myself. This paradox of the ultimate he-man with a sensitive side is his killer weapon, otherwise yeah he might just be another poor man's Arnold...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 14 Nov 2009, 17:44

I'm not sure about that. Van Damme and Stallone were really the guys who got to play sensitive action heroes. Either dumb (Stallone) or childlike (Van Damme) but DL was completely stuck with his one man army image. He looked (and looks) to tough to really sell a sensitive character. To this day people find it hard to buy him as anything but a bad guy (except hard core Dolphamaniacs). For the vast majority of people his face is too hard and masculine to empathize with. In fact it is nothing short of incredible that he was able to carve out a place for himself as a leading man in action. That's why he's amazing. You'll find all the other "double Y chromosome" looking actors stuck in evil henchmen roles. But not the Big Guy.

IRL, obviously, it's a different matter. He is known as an intelligent guy - and NOW as a sensitive guy too. We'll see what that leads to.

I'm happy that HE is happy.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 14 Nov 2009, 21:38

dolphage wrote:I'm not sure about that. (...) He looked (and looks) to tough to really sell a sensitive character. To this day people find it hard to buy him as anything but a bad guy (except hard core Dolphamaniacs).

He also said in a recent interview that he wouldn't do what Van Damme did with JCVD. I think he still distinguishes between his movies, where he plays a role, and his public appearances, where he also plays a role, but closer to his real self. And I think people can distinguish, too. So while he is still the Mega Macho in his movies, why should it hurt to be the nice, sensitive and intelligent actor in interviews? Everyone should know by now that all the evil killers on screen are pretty normal (well, kinda) persons in real life. I guess that wrestling nonsense is the only business where they always keep up their mad and evil image. Unless they decide to do Disney movies and get rid of that old image and their old names, too.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Nov 2009, 12:33

dolphage wrote:I'm not sure about that. Van Damme and Stallone were really the guys who got to play sensitive action heroes. Either dumb (Stallone) or childlike (Van Damme) but DL was completely stuck with his one man army image.

I didn't say he sold this image to the public especially not explicitly in his movies (although I could argue certain scenes and attitude totally attest of it, say in RED SCORPION for instance) but that I perceived him as a sensitive person and not a dumb foolish hard-ass (but of course you're talking to the nut case I am who never saw the world like most people do).
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Dolph to host Swedish Eurovision Song Contest qualifications

Postby Catty on 04 Jan 2010, 10:48

This sounds like really fantastic stuff and it's going to be cool. I hope that someone can translate Swedish for those of us who haven't yet learned the language. :D
Catty
Catty

Postby dolphage on 13 Jan 2010, 21:25

Jox wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2s_tgS5O_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8F-8GAbvpg

Right, so the joke is that they do a (quite) deadpan send up of "company kick offs". With games and stuff to help them bond before they host the Eurovision together. The first skit was pretty OK, but the second one has been done a million times before.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby dolphage on 19 Jan 2010, 20:11

"Dolph's secret list of demands", is the (bullshit) title of that article. DL is going around Sweden filming skits for Melodifestivalen and his "secret list of demands" is just the fact that he can't commit to the show full time but has been allowed to do it part time and do his other stuff as well. So, NOT news and NOT a "secret list of demands". It's a tabloid magazine, they're the same all over the world, I think.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion