Has Dolph ever made any movies he has liked?

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Has Dolph ever made any movies he has liked?

Postby Travis on 09 Dec 2012, 20:53

I don't think I've ever heard Dolph say he liked one of his movies (other than Rocky IV). Usually he either trashes his movies or says he doesn't watch them.

My question is which movies has Dolph made that he is proud of or happy with the way they came out? The only ones I can think of is maybe Missionary Man and Command Performance.
Travis
Regular

Re: Has Dolph ever made any movies he has liked?

Postby Jox on 09 Dec 2012, 22:16

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER, MEN OF WAR, THE MECHANIK, maybe THE DEFENDER, COMMAND PERFORMANCE, to a lesser extent HIDDEN AGENDA when it came out, JOHNNY MNEMONIC (at least his role his one of his favorite with Drago, Andrew Scott and Gunnar)... But he isn't that happy about MISSIONARY MAN, how it was produced or how the studio messed up the DVD.

I don't know what he thinks of JOSHUA TREE (will find out on the Blu-ray), SILENT TRIGGER or JILL RIPS. His earlier work (like DARK ANGEL for instance, or SILT) he's a bit more indulgent about now seeing how old-school they were and holds up better than some more recent experience, and the fact that they've become cult-classics over the years make him feel better about them, but he was always demanding and hard on himself so he couldn't see himself on screen or not think it could have been better. We also don't know all the behind the scenes with the producers and what not which also must also have had a big influence on how his sees them.

The fact that he doesn't watch his past movies frequently is understandable, he's focused on his present career not what he did 20 or 25 years ago, that would sound self-absorbed of he watch them frequently! (personally I don't revisit what I did in school when I was in first grade haha!) Plus making a film can be so grueling for months (not mentioning if you're doing the promo a year later), once you're done you want to move on, I can totally understand that.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 09 Dec 2012, 22:42

You also often find that actors never usually watch their performances because they tend to see all the wrong choices they feel they made as actors, and it ruins their experience of watching it as a piece of detatched entertainment. Besides, most actors only usually watch their own movies at premieres and things like that, and even then because they HAVE to, and to be fair Dolph stopped getting that opportunity after UNISOL... that's why he only has opinions on the early years. It's possible he's not narcissistic enough to rent one of his own films, so why WOULD he have an opinion on, say, Silent Trigger, Minion or Detntion? It's possible he hadn't seen any of his films for entertainment purposes between UNISOL and Direct Action. And why would he? His ego isn't that big.
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 09 Dec 2012, 23:05

Oh he's seen them believe me except me a small few (but not foe entertainment that's for sure), but most of the time he's been around during post or got a copy when it was finished. But he also sees the takes on set a lot of the time, so how it's probably even harder to see a the movie with a fresh eye after all that.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 10 Dec 2012, 02:03

I can imagine... out of interest, what does he consider his best/"favorite" of the films he's directed?
leigh1975

Return to General Discussion