Does Dolph Deserve An Oscar?

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Poll ended at 13 Jul 2004, 02:59

YES!!!!!!OF COURSE!!!!!!!!
50%
NO
50%

Total votes : 8

Postby njonesky102 on 03 Jul 2004, 02:59

I think that Dolph is an incredible guy for all he has acheived in his life and all the bias he has to face for being dismissed as an action hero guy. He deserves to have the kind of fame of that of Stallone and Arny.
Above all Dolph really does Deserve an Oscar for all he has done over the years and all the great movies he has brought to his fans!

p.s. Please vote in the poll!
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Mosquito on 03 Jul 2004, 12:13

Uhm, let's face it. We all love Dolph and his movies but and Oscar is a totally different story. Besides: Arnie doesn't have one.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 06 Jul 2004, 04:58

Mosquito wrote:Uhm, let's face it. We all love Dolph and his movies but and Oscar is a totally different story. Besides: Arnie doesn't have one.

AGREED!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby shooby on 08 Jul 2004, 12:42

But he had already won a little award fot his role in Rocky 4 !!!
shooby

Postby Tom on 10 Jul 2004, 13:09

As much as I enjoy Dolph and his movies I think that an Oscar is about as far from him as Mars. It would put him up there with the likes of De Niro, Sean Penn, and all those other talented actors. Dolph would be the first to admit he's not a great actor. If he could ever get an Oscar that means that people like Van Damme could and owuld mean that Arnold Schwarzenegger should have a cabinet full of them. Firstly he owuld have to do the impossible and get back to doing A-movies, which seems unlikely. Maybe if he did a TV show and had a character that could be developed and that he could develop in as an actor he could get an Emmy or a Golden Globe, Lorenzo Lamas got a Globe nomination years ago for Falcon Crest. Dolph has never done a role with anywhere near the sort of depth or the ocnviction to be ocnsidered for Awards like that.

I stil think that he could get a Video Premiere Nominaiton given a decent role. He owuld probabaly have got a nod for Jill The Ripper if those awards had been around then. VD got one for Replicant. Dolph certianly won't get one for Detention because he had nothing testing to do. Also you like at the list of former Oscar winners or nominees doing DTV these days, Tom Berenger, Gary Busey, Eric Roberts, Roy Schieder, Dennis Hopper. There's quite a lot to contend with.

The best thing for awards in actino movies are things like the Saturn Awards, Mtv Awards and BlockBuster Awards. The Oscars are notorious for hating action movies and other certain types of movies.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 10 Jul 2004, 13:45

Tom wrote:Firstly he owuld have to do the impossible and get back to doing A-movies, which seems unlikely.

It hurts to read that but it sounds so true. Well, never give up hope!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 10 Jul 2004, 13:57

The problem is Dolph is a good actor ... when he is good encircle : remember his good performances in movies like Univesal Soldier, Blackjack, sweepers, johnny Mnemmonic ...

That's the reason why he deserve this kind of title more like others actions stars
shooby

Postby Tom on 10 Jul 2004, 18:01

I hope the Dolphster gets back to cinemas. It won't happen as a leading man, there is just no market for action men any more, Sly and Arnold can't sell tickets like they used to unless they fall back on their big frnachises and the Rock is the biggest star of the action world at the moment and his last two films have flopped. Studios are brining in actors who can add more depth like Cruise and Matt Damon for action movies. Van Damme and Seagal have far bigger followings than Dolph and they seem resigned to doing straight to videos. The advantage now is that DTV standards are generally getting a bit better, seeing as there are more films settling for that market. If you look at some of the films nominated in the DVD exclusive awards they have some failry high ratings on IMDB. The thing for Dolph isthough that doing aciton films all the time makes it much harder to do something good.

I think it would be good to see Dolph have a bit part in a decent high profile movie. The next Quentin Tarantino would be great, and Quentin likes strange casting. I also think that if Dolph got to work with someone like Tarantino he could surprise people.
Tom
Regular

Postby Krom on 11 Jul 2004, 01:14

Tom wrote:I hope the Dolphster gets back to cinemas. It won't happen as a leading man, there is just no market for action men any more, Sly and Arnold can't sell tickets like they used to unless they fall back on their big frnachises and the Rock is the biggest star of the action world at the moment and his last two films have flopped. Studios are brining in actors who can add more depth like Cruise and Matt Damon for action movies. Van Damme and Seagal have far bigger followings than Dolph and they seem resigned to doing straight to videos. The advantage now is that DTV standards are generally getting a bit better, seeing as there are more films settling for that market. If you look at some of the films nominated in the DVD exclusive awards they have some failry high ratings on IMDB. The thing for Dolph isthough that doing aciton films all the time makes it much harder to do something good.

I think it would be good to see Dolph have a bit part in a decent high profile movie. The next Quentin Tarantino would be great, and Quentin likes strange casting. I also think that if Dolph got to work with someone like Tarantino he could surprise people.

A G R E E D !
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby shooby on 11 Jul 2004, 10:35

And tarantino knows Dolph
shooby

Postby Mosquito on 11 Jul 2004, 11:20

Tom wrote:The next Quentin Tarantino would be great, and Quentin likes strange casting. I also think that if Dolph got to work with someone like Tarantino he could surprise people.

Wow, yes, that would be fantastic! Remember what Pulp Fiction did to Travolta's career. Not that I like the guy but that was one hell of a comeback!

Let's see if Tarantino can create something like Pulp Fiction again. I mean, Kill Bill was great but PF is still his very best movie I think. Man, that scene where they give Uma that adrenaline shot was the most tantalizing moment I've seen in years.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 12 Jul 2004, 06:25

shooby wrote:And tarantino knows Dolph

He knows Dolph, but he does not like Dolph. He has referred to his start and says that when he saw Dolph later that Dolph did not remember him. It really ticked him off apparently. But who honestly would remember a guy who cleaned dog poo off a lawn?
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Dolph_Fan on 17 Jul 2004, 22:00

Maybe (Most probbably) Yes if this was the time around after Red Scorpion + The Punisher + Dark Angel was made....

But after that and today. Most probably no..............
Dolph_Fan
Regular

Return to General Discussion