Lundgren vs Taktarov

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mosquito on 12 Jun 2007, 21:52

What do the statistics at time 4:02 mean? 198 is the height in cm I guess and 108 maybe weight in kilograms. But what does the first number, 47, mean? Oh.. now that I'm typing it. The age? So the official year of birth is 1959.

Interesting. At the imdb, many people claim that he's shorter than 198 cm and the year of birth is still controversial. Do they check the papers for such boxing statistics or do they believe what the person tells them?

PS: Great video! Now who creates a subtitled version? ;-)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 13 Jun 2007, 00:08

Oleg is 6ft, and Dolph towered above him.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Jun 2007, 15:10

I'm not sure I got it right at the end, when Oleg asked Dolph the question in english, did he mention Dolph will come to "work in Russia in August"?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 15 Jun 2007, 18:07

Cool.
I find it difficult to really make an assessment of the skill of either fighter. They seem to be holding back/pulling their punches a bit and that will always be a disadvantage to the bigger, heavier punching guy(Dolph), while it benefits the smaller/quicker guy (Oleg).
Dolph is the aggressor but Oleg earned the win (unfortunately).
But if this is NOT a glamourized sparringmatch and what we see really is the "Dolphmeister"´s true puncing power then he hits like a (newborn) girl and if that would be true then my whole world would come crashing down. But it´s not true.
Dolph never was a boxer. And you see it in his style. His stance is a bit inefficient for boxing and his guard often slips back to a kyokushinstyle defence.
But undoubtadedly there is no actionstar who can stand up to him in bout of knock down karate. He was/is a force of nature.
That´s my two cents

edit: spelling
Last edited by dolphage on 03 Jul 2007, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Jul 2007, 21:48

Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 12 Aug 2007, 10:15

Dolph should have said no to this "fight".
Someone should have stopped him.
He needs better advisors in general.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Geoff on 12 Aug 2007, 12:05

It was a good fight as Doplh stills shows he has what it takes to compete at this type of level.

Well done D, you might have missed out via points but we all still think you is a winner!!!!
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Wol4ica on 01 Sep 2007, 20:42

I saw it. I did not like the show at all, but them my dad coled me and thold, that Dolph is on the air. So I wached...
Well, yeah.. Since, Dolph is a boxer only in movies such as "Rokky IV", I forgive him his lost..
Aldo, I was disepointed. But russian fans still love you!
Wol4ica

Postby Rover on 02 Sep 2007, 12:02

I saw this fight on Youtube...it was horrible :(
It could have been great if it wasn't boxing. Oleg was excellent in the UFC and had a really nice style in my opinion, while Dolph is waaay better in his karate thing. They should both have joined the UFC and have a karate vs sambo fight :D
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Jox on 09 Jan 2008, 00:18

Podcast interview of Tagtarov briefly talking about the fight
http://www.strictlymma.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=219&Itemid=1
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 07 Jun 2008, 19:09

Oh My God!
I haven´t had the time to sit through this interview until now, but.... WOW!
Oleg claims that Dolph put it into the contract for the fight that they Oleg couldn´t hit him in the face and then Dolph himself broke the rule and tried to hit Oleg wherever he could. And he goes on to say that in all the 5 rounds Dolph Lundgren wasn´t able to connect with one single blow!
That´s not excactly how I saw it... I mean Dolph lost the "glorified sparring match" but he did land some OK body shots in the process.
The only compliment he pays the Dolphster is that he had an "iron stomach".
BTW you have to sit through, like, a half hour of Oleg bragging about other stuff before he mentions Dolph.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Tom on 07 Jun 2008, 21:07

dolphage wrote:Oh My God!
I haven´t had the time to sit through this interview until now, but.... WOW!
Oleg claims that Dolph put it into the contract for the fight that they Oleg couldn´t hit him in the face and then Dolph himself broke the rule and tried to hit Oleg wherever he could. And he goes on to say that in all the 5 rounds Dolph Lundgren wasn´t able to connect with one single blow!
That´s not excactly how I saw it... I mean Dolph lost the "glorified sparring match" but he did land some OK body shots in the process.
The only compliment he pays the Dolphster is that he had an "iron stomach".
BTW you have to sit through, like, a half hour of Oleg bragging about other stuff before he mentions Dolph.

I kind of get the impression Dolph didn't take it as seriously as the others involved. He saw it more as a fun sort of excersise, plus as for the face thing, the guy doesn't want to walk into his next (very high paid) movie set with a shiner. When Oleg gets as iconic and well known in the movie bus as Dolph, and becomes a headliner, he might appreciate that fact a bit more.
Tom
Regular

Re: Lundgren vs Taktarov

Postby Jox on 30 Jan 2009, 11:43

Moscow-based producer and friend of Dolph Bob van Ronkel talks about how it happened:
http://www.mnweekly.ru/interview/20090130/55365445.html
On another occasion, in May 2007, friends of mine from the First Channel said they had a high-rated television show called ‘Ring King,' which involved actors participating in boxing matches. They said they wanted an exhibition fight for the final show with Mike Tyson, Mickey Rourke or Steven Seagal fighting against Russia's former fighting champion, Oleg Takarov.

I agreed and called all of them, but these guys were either uninterested or unavailable. So, with less than 10 days until the event I suggested Dolph Lundgren [of "Rocky" fame]. ORT approved the idea, so I called Dolph, thinking he would tell that I am crazy and that would be the end of it. After all, Oleg Takarov is a killer in the ring. But to my surprise Dolph immediately said, "I'm in." At this point, I began to watch some videos of Oleg's past fights, which really made me worried about what I had done. I mean, if Dolph gets knocked out or injured, possibly endangering his career, it would be my fault. Moreover, Dolph had just flown 13 hours from Los Angeles, was on an 11 hour time difference and only had one day to train before the big bout.

Sunday morning, the day of the big fight, Dolph saw that I wasn't eating lunch and asked what was wrong. I told him. Dolph looked at me and said with a smile, "Relax, I'm fighting Takarov, not you. Don't worry about a thing, I've fought bigger, tougher and younger and am still here to tell about it."

Well, Dolph was right. The fight went the entire distance and both fighters fought hard. Dolph lost by a decision, but he didn't have a mark on his body and was smiling the whole time.
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Lundgren vs Taktarov

Postby The Robin on 31 Jan 2009, 13:50

That fight was too close to call IMO, I think it was a draw, but whatever.

That was a cool piece of info. I think if DL had more than ONE DAY to train for the fight, then maybe he could have came with a better game plan. Again, the fight was really close.

I think DL should have gone for some of the punches he didn't throw. I recently saw the video and there was a part where DL could have throw a solid punch right to Oleg's face, but he stopped when he was going for it. I was like "NOOO! Hit him!" LOL.

It was a very hard fought battle, but if DL steps back into combat, it'd better be on his grounds, where he can throw body-bruising knees and organ-smashing kicks! :lol:

They really should have done an MMA fight!
RIP Charles "Mask" Lewis! TapouT will never be the same.
^^ My Avatar ^^
Always an active American Gladiator!
The Robin

Previous

Return to General Discussion