Still going strong

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Still going strong

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2007, 22:45

New Swedish article, I guess there's nothing new to learn from but as the title says, Dolph is "still going strong"!

http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/artikel_559969.svd

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on 07 Nov 2007, 10:43

Always nice to see publicity tho.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Nathan on 07 Nov 2007, 20:16

Are Dolph movies still released in Swedish cinemas?
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 07 Nov 2007, 20:41

It says that his dream is to make a movie about Sweden back when it was a "super power" in Europe (between 1611-1718 Sweden invaded a bunch of our neighbouring countries) (good times, good times)

Other than that, nothing new... It is his background story again. And we all know that.

They say that he has been offered roles in action movies in Sweden and declined them all (smart move, all Swedish "action" movies suck ace).

And no, his movies don´t get theatrical releases in Sweden.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2007, 00:34

dolphage wrote:It says that his dream is to make a movie about Sweden back when it was a "super power" in Europe (between 1611-1718 Sweden invaded a bunch of our neighboring countries) (good times, good times)

He's had this in mind for a long time, one project set during the Swedish civil war almost got made, hope we can see that sometimes...

They say that he has been offered roles in action movies in Sweden and declined them all (smart move, all Swedish "action" movies suck ace)

Didn't even know they were making action movies, but I think they do quite good thrillers, like "Sleepwalker" i heard was pretty good...

Nathan wrote:Are Dolph movies still released in Swedish cinemas?

Very few were released in Swedish cinemas, even in his earlier days of glory, "Red Scorpion" and "The Punisher" were banned for their violence and only released later in video, not sure if "Dark Angel" got his way to the silver screen and in the end I guess only R4, MOTU, UniSol and JM got this privilege (and possibly "The Shooter" because I saw a theatrical poster on sale too)... Dolph was really overlooked, people mocked him because he wouldn't do an interview in Swedish (his coach had advised him not to for his American accent), and moreover some Swedish lobbies called for a boycott of his movies after "Red Scorpion" went shooting in South African-ruled Namibia...
But I guess now the big D has grown more of a cult following there among young Swedish generations that he makes very proud of...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2007, 00:49

And btw Dolph is second (out of 9) smartest dumb guy on Maxim's stupid fun thing ("Sometimes, to play stupid you have to be a genius. Those other times? You´re probably Keanu Reeves.")

http://www.maximonline.com/StupidFun/2Dolphlundgren/slideshow/5770/376.aspx
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 08 Nov 2007, 11:44

dolphage wrote:It says that his dream is to make a movie about Sweden back when it was a "super power" in Europe (between 1611-1718 Sweden invaded a bunch of our neighbouring countries) (good times, good times)

Bad times. ;-) I wondered how to find older ancestors than the oldest one on my family tree (born 22.05.1650). Ony recently I read that the Swedes have burned the church books during their invasion - must have been a grudge against all catholics.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 08 Nov 2007, 21:55

Damn... I actually subscribe to that paper and the one day it does not arrive in my mailbox its got an interview with Dolph in it.... must be some kind of conspiracy against me.

Very few were released in Swedish cinemas

One bit of good news is that his films are getting released on DVD up here again. This summer The Mechanik dropped and now we seem to get an early release of MM (That danish release date submitted by Jox seem to apply for sweden as well!). Last new Dolph-film released before that was Hidden Agenda.
preacher
Regular

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2007, 22:10

preacher wrote:Last new Dolph-film released before that was Hidden Agenda.

I guess Detention also came out there since (late though)...
http://x6.no/images/omtaler/DVD/detention.jpg
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 09 Nov 2007, 17:29

Mosquito wrote:
dolphage wrote: the Swedes have burned the church books during their invasion - must have been a grudge against all catholics.
You´re welcome!!! (Only kidding. They were bad times, in deed, and they are not looked upon as anything else in the eyes of Swedes today - except for self proclaimed "patriots" and neo-nazi´s and those types of people, who are very proud of those "acomplishments" )

R4, MOTU, UniSol and JM are as far as I can remember the only movies that have gotten theatrical releases in Sweden. I don´t recall the Shooter opening up in cinemas...
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2007, 20:21

dolphage wrote:I don´t recall the Shooter opening up in cinemas...

probably very limited as in other European countries (UK, France, Italy, Spain etc)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 10 Nov 2007, 14:31

guess Detention also came out there since (late though)...

You are right ofcourse. I remember now seeing that cover.
I think rental only though.
Must have been a very limited release since I have only seen it once (And I tend to look for Dolphs films).

As for the Shooter: It was released DTV. For some reason I remember the Poster hanging on the wall of my local rental place when it was first released.

Dolph was really overlooked, people mocked him because he wouldn't do an interview in Swedish

Its funny. That is something people still remember. The story goes "Dolph Lundgren had been away from sweden one year and claimed to have forgotten how to speak swedish".
That rumour gave him sort of a Diva-image I guess. Going away and forgetting all about his roots...
It also makes him look kinda stupid. I mean who forgets there first language in 1 year? That promoted an image of "all muscle, no brain".
preacher
Regular

Postby Geoff on 12 Nov 2007, 11:00

Which we all know isnt fair.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Nathan on 12 Nov 2007, 20:10

Thanks for answering Jox
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 13 Nov 2007, 21:59

Nathan wrote:Thanks for answering Jox

?
dolphage
Regular