THE MINION (Jean-Marc Piché, 1998)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE MINION (Jean-Marc Piché, 1998)

Postby lhz on 04 Mar 2022, 20:52

Hey, look what was waiting for me in the mailbox today. :D
Can't wait to watch it and listen the audio commentary.

I suppose we got here only the original cut, not the new one released in Germany with the prologue and so ?
lhz

Postby Jox on 07 Mar 2022, 01:06

Original cut, yes.

Aside from if you had seen it on the big screen at the Cannes market or during its theatrical release in South Korea and a couple of other places, that's the first time anyone has seen it in a version this good, in HD and original 1.85:1 aspect ratio... The movie is still not the greatest but it's not the worst either and it's a lot more pleasing to watch in good conditions.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 12 Mar 2022, 22:10

After watching THE MINION for the first time in HD thanks to the good folks from Kino Lorber (Classic label) I can say the editor bring is usual excellency to this modest, often disliked Dolph's vehicle and the least I can tell is that it was worth the expensive shipping and import fees !

The transfer reach the label of excellence yet still feel so natural. It feels really like a second birth for this movie and it felt like a little treasure, or even candy, to watch the police station sequence or the final in the church in HD and correct aspect ratio.

Sometimes released titles has no logic. We could never had imagined that what I am considering as one of the pretty best editor in activity released a Dolph's back catalogue physically with such care.

They even gratified us with an audio commentary from Jean-Marc Piche that I still have to listen carefully.

Outside from the upscaled German blu ray release, is there any release somewhere which got the director's cut ? (or whatever it is called)
lhz

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2022, 11:59

From what I gathered neither of the two released versions are a director's cut. Seems the movie was taken away from Piché during post.

I don't remember of any other release on Blu-ray.

lhz wrote:Sometimes released titles has no logic. We could never had imagined that what I am considering as one of the pretty best editor in activity released a Dolph's back catalogue physically with such care.

That's for sure! I guess Kino Lorber picked it up in a package deal with other titles, but it could have been a very basic release...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 13 Mar 2022, 12:04

Thanks for the clarification.
I definitely need to refresh my memory with this alternate cut on my German disc (especially regarding the opening sequence / prologue, which was cool in my memory). I've got the 2011 initial release, not the new one with the new cover :mrgreen:
lhz

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2022, 12:13

According to Piché, there were disagreements between the producers, which may explain the existence of this newer cut. It's a shorter cut per say that's made longer by the additional prologue, and they had a completely different music composed (by the Wurst brothers who later did STORM CATCHER) that's sounds more like an orchestral score (even though it's made on a computer), but it's way too epic for for the low budget scale of the film...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 13 Mar 2022, 13:16

lhz wrote:After watching THE MINION for the first time in HD thanks to the good folks from Kino Lorber (Classic label) I can say the editor bring is usual excellency to this modest, often disliked Dolph's vehicle and the least I can tell is that it was worth the expensive shipping and import fees !

The transfer reach the label of excellence yet still feel so natural. It feels really like a second birth for this movie and it felt like a little treasure, or even candy, to watch the police station sequence or the final in the church in HD and correct aspect ratio.

It's been a while since I watched the Kino release, but I do remember hating the audio track on it. Regular dialogue scenes were decent, but every time music was on or action was happening, all dialogue became entirely inaudible. Such a shame they didn't include a subtitle track on it because this definitely could've used one.
JuV

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2022, 13:39

Humm, it's been a couple years since I saw it as well, I usually watch movies with headphones and don't remember hearing that issue. :?

EDIT:
Jox wrote:According to Piché, there were disagreements between the producers, which may explain the existence of this newer cut.

Those disagreements would also be why the movie was retitled FALLEN KNIGHT in Canada...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 13 Mar 2022, 16:26

JuV wrote:It's been a while since I watched the Kino release, but I do remember hating the audio track on it. Regular dialogue scenes were decent, but every time music was on or action was happening, all dialogue became entirely inaudible. Such a shame they didn't include a subtitle track on it because this definitely could've used one.

Now you are mentioning it, your claim regarding the audio issue is totally correct. I was talking about video quality only on my statement and didn't recall this issue cause I noticed it right to the start when I watched it and switched immediately to my headphones and after that the problem was solved. But if you listen it through normal TV audio canal there is definitely a problem and they could have provide English or English SDH subs to face it.
This is the only cons regarding this release so far.
lhz

Postby JuV on 13 Mar 2022, 21:06

Jox wrote:Humm, it's been a couple years since I saw it as well, I usually watch movies with headphones and don't remember hearing that issue.  :?

I never really watch movies through a headset, but the audio track on this just wasn't good. Not sure if it's an issue from Kino or the mixing has always been less with this film (can't compare since I don't own any other releases). 

lhz wrote:Now you are mentioning it, your claim regarding the audio issue is totally correct. I was talking about video quality only on my statement and didn't recall this issue cause I noticed it right to the start when I watched it and switched immediately to my headphones and after that the problem was solved. But if you listen it through normal TV audio canal there is definitely a problem and they could have provide English or English SDH subs to face it.
This is the only cons regarding this release so far.

Yeah, the video is great and easily the best this film will ever look. I'm not sure why Kino didn't add subtitles someone working on this release must've noticed the audio, right? Usually Kino releases do have subtitles, so it really baffles me. 

I looked at some reviews of the release and the only one I saw mentioning the audio was the one at blu-ray.com:
While stillness permits some clarity to dialogue exchanges, the track often deals with action, and such activity encourages a level of competition as elements battle for sonic control. Scoring is dialed up too high, frequently overwhelming performances, which also have a tendency to disappear when the actors speak in hushed tones. Lines are lost here and there.
JuV

Postby Jox on 23 Mar 2022, 22:44

Korean newspaper ad
(South Korea was one of the very few countries where THE MINION got released in theaters)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Jul 2022, 19:23

Filming wrapped, or was about to wrap, 25 years ago.

(Then Dolph would start SWEEPERS about 6 weeks later, and then would conclude 1997 with BLACKJACK in November)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Dec 2022, 02:08

Textless US home video key art

(click for high-res)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 May 2023, 12:37

Screening for distributors at the Cannes Film Market 25 years ago today.

0 TM 1 AD CANNES 98 copy 2.jpg
0 TM 1 AD CANNES 98 copy 2.jpg (83.63 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

Full page ad in Variety:

0 TM 1 AD CANNES 98 copy.jpg
0 TM 1 AD CANNES 98 copy.jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies