THE BEST MAN (Shane Dax Taylor, 2022)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE BEST MAN (Shane Dax Taylor, 2022)

Postby Jox on 28 Apr 2023, 22:10

The Best Man Director On Polishing Script & Created Layered Thriller
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-bes ... -thriller/

The Best Man: Brendan Fehr On Filming Action Thriller In A Short Time
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-bes ... hort-time/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 28 May 2023, 15:41

Watched this one last night on Prime. Surprised it skipped a UK DVD release given the cast.

BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Great premise of course but this really is a prime example of the state of straight to VOD movies these days. You've got a decent cast here and a decent idea for a fun action film. But the execution in pretty much every area is absolutely dire.

Luke Wilson and Dolph have incredibly uninteresting characters (Dolph tries to do a little more with his), the dialogue is absolutely horrendous and some of the most bland scenes I've ever seen. The villain, who they had a great opportunity with - is also dreadful.

Like I know they didn't have the budget for big action scenes so why not at least write some great scenery chewing moments for the villain? It doesn't take any effort to shoot a tense dialogue scene. Actually casting Dolph as the villain would have worked way better.

As for the action, it's pretty much non-existent. There's 1 good fight and a bunch of "shootouts" but the digital gunfire and bullet hits are hugely distracting because they are terribly done. Even the opening action sequence is incoherent nonsense that's badly edited.

Most of the film is literally just people walking around a building. Seriously there's a solid 30 minutes of characters just walking around in the middle. I figure the budget for these things (minus name talent) must be well under 100k by now because they don't seem to have the money to do anything other than sit around and talk. They haven't even bothered to score most of the film. It does look quite good though.

As an action movie there's very little actual action that isn't digital. A premise like this could lead to a whole host of great and imaginative action scenes but it doesn't. I feel sorry for Dolph appearing in stuff like this and it irritates me as a filmmaker myself that people with very little to no talent whatsoever can get decent actors in when I'm struggling to pull together 50k.

Marginally better than The Tracker but Dolph is really, really wasted in stuff like this. He deserves a million times better. Bring on Wanted Man.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 30 May 2023, 19:10

I don't wanna say too much, because THE BEST MAN will be the focus of an upcoming podcast episode. I will say though that there is a fascinating chapter in B. Harrison Smith's book, THE MAKING OF THE MOVIE LEPRECHAUN: "I NEED ME GOLD", in which he opens up on the inner workings of this business. It really is quite something and almost a miracle that any of these movies even get made. There are so many unforeseen expenses that we may not realize with these productions. For a film with a projected budget of $2 million for example, you have your name stars who you're having to pay their daily price tag (including their various demands and baggage as well). I can't imagine that Dolph comes exactly cheap, so his presence alone is eating up a good portion of what you have. Then you have to care for the rest of the cast and crew... Catering and hotels, especially decent ones are a must. Then you have sets and locations... Multiple sets and locations mean more money, hence why most of these films are working with barely one. From there it becomes simple math... With a $2 million budget, after these various expenses, I can't imagine that you much, if ANYTHING to work with.

Like I said, it's amazing that these are still being made. Though I suspect that the bottom is starting to fall out, and the shelf life is limited, and we may not see these being made in 5-10 years.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 14 Jun 2023, 20:18

In MENA* cinemas June 22

* Group of Middle Eastern and North African countries
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 07 Jul 2023, 17:12

New episode is here! All Outta Bubblegum’s Brenton Haysom is back to help shed light on one of Dolph’s latest, THE BEST MAN! Heads up, the film isn’t very good… But that didn’t stop us from having fun discussing it! Check it out!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... -best-man/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever else you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies