THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

Postby Mosquito on 10 Sep 2012, 00:26

I'm shocked to read that sign. Unfortunately I still haven't seen the movie because I didn't manage to find a cinema that shows the original English version. But it's good to read that there's almost no product placement. I often find it really annoying when they shove brands and products into my face.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Sep 2012, 23:47

"My favorite Swedish dinner would be... baby seal, and whale ass"
http://tmblr.co/Zxv02vSKZaaB

Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 11 Sep 2012, 01:17

Well it looks like the foreign BO will save this film and guarantee us a 3rd movie... I dunno what happened with the U.S. domestic side of things, but I don't think it's just EX2 the U.S. box office as a whole has been at it's worst in history (almost) absolutely no one is going to the movies the last couple of weeks... so I don't think you can blame the movie alone for its performance.

If it breaks 200 mil total were getting a 3rd film because it's an established franchise now and my guess is the blu-ray sales will be ridiculously good (I'll be picking it up) when it goes to DVD.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Coligion on 11 Sep 2012, 06:10

After seeing this film a few weeks ago now, I have mixed feelings regarding its quality. Initially, I was pumped after my viewing, but I think some of the smoke has now cleared. The two big issues I had with the film was some of the overly blatant and obvious CGI and the forced humor. While I had no issue with Norris being in the movie, they basically just used his screen time to poke fun at what his name has now become. Similarly, Arnold was wasted by having almost every word from him be a joke or pun. I don't understand why he was not given more serious dialogue, or heck, even a better way to deliver his classic "I'll be back" line.

As for Dolph, I was rather surprised by the surplus of his screen time. For some reason, I thought he would be in this less. However, I must admit that I missed his chaotic and uncontrolled version of Gunnar from the first film. In the sequel he was more of a sloppy, angry drunk of sorts. I realize he could not stay the same after the resolution from the first film, but I thought I'd still mention this.

Much like Dolph from the first Expendables movie, I thought Van Damme was the highlight for this film. Even though his time was limited, he definitely always had presence in the movie. Shame he did not get more action scenes.

I really want to make it back to the theater for a second viewing. I watched my Expendables director's cut Blu-ray the first time after seeing the second film. I am surprised to admit that the director's cut was a definite improvement over the theatrical. In my opinion, the first film does play a bit more serious, which I truly think hurts the sequel. Anyway, I'll have to see how it holds up after a second viewing.

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:Well it looks like the foreign BO will save this film and guarantee us a 3rd movie... I dunno what happened with the U.S. domestic side of things, but I don't think it's just EX2 the U.S. box office as a whole has been at it's worst in history (almost) absolutely no one is going to the movies the last couple of weeks... so I don't think you can blame the movie alone for its performance.

If it breaks 200 mil total were getting a 3rd film because it's an established franchise now and my guess is the blu-ray sales will be ridiculously good (I'll be picking it up) when it goes to DVD.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I'm really surprised the domestic box office revenue is so low for this film. There's many factors that could be in play, but I'm guessing a lot of people just did not give it a chance after being let down from the first film. :(
Coligion

Postby Jox on 11 Sep 2012, 13:20

Am I dreaming or the Japanese have releases EXPENDABLES 2 condoms?!!!
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/6928577/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Ringy on 11 Sep 2012, 16:52

OH NO!!!
WTF!!!?? This is REALLY awful promotion!!!!!!!!

Japanese distribution company is so CRAZY, no, INSANE!!!! oh my god..., this company failed in Ex1 movie promotion 2 years ago. I don't understand why Nu image/Millennium sold to this company Ex2 distributive privilege. It's really the p*ts. They don't like movie, just only love themselves!!!

You know I'm a Japanese. but, believe this, I'm not the same as them. Please don't despise me and don't confuse me with them.......
aka Hanako
Ringy

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 12 Sep 2012, 04:26

WTF?! It would have been more appropriate if they made the condoms for one of Dolph's other movies: "I Come In Peace"! But NOT for TE2 nor another of D's films: "Direct Contact" :lol:
Ivan, Jr.

Postby dolphage on 12 Sep 2012, 12:40

"I come in peace" haha. I think "Missionary Man" could have been used to sell condoms.

I hope they are at least so big that most regular men can't use them, except as garbage bags.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Ringy on 12 Sep 2012, 14:14

I understand much about the importance of condom. but, this collaboration is improper promotion for Ex2 movie. I think this stuff was seen by people in dozens of countries. so, I know their another stupid behavior. they post up some Ex2 characters poster in theater's Mens toilet with bawdy joke caption. Dolph's Gunner poster as well.

Anyway, I think that they must not forget this apothegm,
"With great power comes great responsibility"
aka Hanako
Ringy

Postby Jox on 16 Sep 2012, 12:24

New mini-mates set with Gunnar

Jox
Site Admin

THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

Postby Mosquito on 16 Sep 2012, 15:28

Hello Ringy, no worries. We can distinguish between a promo company and a whole population. ;-) Besides, it may be a bit weird but it is a funny promotion in my opinion.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 17 Sep 2012, 11:54

Jox wrote:New mini-mates set with Gunnar

If I'd have been a kid I'd have had THE most awesome fights with those things. My G.I. Joe and He-Man battles were LEGENDARY.

Couture's face looks the best but the JCVD one doesn't really resemble him at all. DL -OK, Jet Li - not so much.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby whiteandblank on 17 Sep 2012, 12:56

I had HE-MAN and some from the A-Team, going back a while now!
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank

Postby shooby on 17 Sep 2012, 13:37

I don't know if the link had ever done :

http://expendables.wikia.com/wiki/Gunnar_Jensen
shooby

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies