THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mosquito on 20 Oct 2008, 21:16

Here's a review of a cinema viewing of The Punisher in North Carolina with Mark Goldblatt as special guest. The original review is in German, on the "Gemeinschaftsforum":

http://www.gemeinschaftsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,95568.30.html

It's the posting from "lastboyscout", today 13:41. Abridged translation:

Well, on Saturday evening I watched the Punisher and on Sunday afternoon it was Dead Heat.
Before the movie started, Mark Goldblatt came to the stage, talked about twenty minutes longer than the film and then they started the movie with him in the audience.
Before the actual film started there was a trailer show with selected Dolph Lundgren movies.
As would be Rocky IV, Red Scorpion, I Come In Peace, Universal Soldier and, to general amusement in the audience, Masters Of The Universe.
That magnificently put the audience in the mood for the evening.

Just a brief comment on the audience: There was no one who DID NOT belong there. Only fans who shut up when necessary, who laughed when it was suitable, and just totally joined in. Oh yes, the hall was, of course packed.

He also says that the new version is a mixture of the unrated version and some work prints and that it was a good quality. And:

After the presentation, there was an approximate half-hour interview but also the audience could ask questions.
Of course a woman asked where they could get this version and he pointed to a double-DVD from Germany but was not sure if this is a bootleg or not.
He also admitted that he only heard of the DVD but has never actually seen it. He didn't mention whether a new DVD will be published.

There's also a photo with him and Mark Goldblatt and a Punisher poster.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Oct 2008, 21:28

Nice!

Sounds like the perfect fun screening!
It's actually the French theatrical poster they had hanging...

Unfortunately, we actually tried to also attach the CP teaser to screen (my idea, approved by Dolph, Goldblatt and the festival), but there were issues with them not being able to screen anything other than 35mm prints, and not enough time for the entire process to make one in time...

Here's other mentions of it
http://www.robustmcmanlypants.org/blog/ ... a-theatre/
http://badger.livejournal.com/1393346.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 20 Oct 2008, 22:26

What a pity! That would have been the perfect occasion. :-(
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Reznik on 21 Oct 2008, 11:05

BrunnenMatt wrote:I do not own the Korean release any more, a lucky friend does! But

The specs I listed Here list the Korean release have optional Korean subtitles.

...BMatt

You're right. There isn't english subtitles.
:(
Reznik

Postby Jox on 21 Oct 2008, 11:21

Well I hope there will be more occasions!!
Jox
Site Admin

THE PUNISHER

Postby Jox on 07 Dec 2008, 23:55

While the new Punisher movie just bombed ($4M only for first week-end), Joblo/The Arrow reviewed the our beloved Dolph's version in his workprint cut:
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=14636
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 08 Dec 2008, 00:37

I have the German Starlight uncut version, but I had no idea the workprint was widely available. The failiure of the new movie just goes to show that gore doesn't make a decent Punisher film, and Dolph is the quintisenial Frank Castle.
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 08 Dec 2008, 01:26

The thing is, Dolph was a bad ass action hero - he was big, tough, mean and well known for playing huge guys. Who are these other clowns they have cast as Mr. P the last twice? They don't fit the bill IMO.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 08 Dec 2008, 03:58

Love Dolph's version of course.

But WAR ZONE is also excellent. Certainly better than the Thomas Jane film. It's very much a comic book movie both in its visual style and the performances. It's extremely violent but it's the sort of absurd cartoonish violence that made the comic fun to read.

Ray Stevenson is great in the role. Really looked like he stepped out of the comics. While the film tanked at the box office I hope it at least gets his name out there and he can have a solid career in big movies. I know he was just cast as one of the heavies in Denzel Washington's next film so that's a good break for him.

I could still see a DTV PUNISHER film being made at some point but as much as I liked Stevenson in the role I hope he's able to build the type of career where he doesn't need to appear in it.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Daydreamer on 14 Dec 2008, 13:27

I just saw Punisher War Zone and I loved it!! :D
My thoughts went directly to the Punisher Max comic when watching it.

I certainly like Punisher (1989) and Dolph´s interpretation of Frank Castle, in fact I have several dvd editions of it, but in my opinion Punisher War Zone is the best Punisher movie so far.

/Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Re: THE PUNISHER

Postby Warchild on 09 Feb 2009, 04:11

I just watched the punisher 1989 today, i must have seen this movie numerous times, but today i saw something that made me curious and never noticed before and want to know what the heck was with the japanese guy being streched wearing a red shoe??? In the torture room...
Warchild
Regular

Postby The_Canadian on 09 Feb 2009, 06:04

Warchild wrote:I just watched the punisher 1989 today, i must have seen this movie numerous times, but today i saw something that made me curious and never noticed before and want to know what the heck was with the japanese guy being streched wearing a red shoe??? In the torture room...

I never really knew what the hell was going on there, probably something to do with how short the actor was, or perhaps an onset inside-joke.

Personally, I just like to think Castle found them off to the side of the room in a closet or something and decided to add insult to injury for the poor guy.
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Warchild on 10 Feb 2009, 01:04

Yes, maybe it was lady Tanaka,s shoe that he grabbed from a nearby closet and is giving her a warning of what is to come. :lol:
Warchild
Regular

Postby evegotbet on 16 Jul 2009, 00:23

My comment for the day :) : i just saw the punisher for the first time.
my favorite funny scene: the pink high heeled shoes on the bad guys feet when he is being stretched on the machine by Dolph, after he escaped the machine himself. it's cool to see that u guys can have fun even while making a movie.
interesting: to see how movies were made then and now.
Dolph with brown hair: nah :x . blond is much better on sexy Dolph. (i'm allowed to comment against brown hair because that's my natural hair color before the bleach).
GOD bless everybody
evegotbet

Postby evegotbet on 20 Jul 2009, 00:54

The tail end of "The Punisher" was cool - naked Dolph (shame on me) sorrrry.
evegotbet

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies