SMALL APARTMENTS (Jonas Åkerlund, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SMALL APARTMENTS (Jonas Åkerlund, 2011) Feb 8-19 in the

Postby Jox on 18 Jan 2013, 11:57

Jox wrote:Here is ANOTHER TRAILER (more Dolph included), the original trailer I think (not Sony's) on Jonas Akerlund's site:
http://www.jonasakerlund.com/trailers/# ... ts-trailer
http://www.jonasakerlund.com/trailers/

This is indeed the "Director's Cut" trailer.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Jan 2013, 17:58

NEW YORK THEATRICAL OPENING: JOIN IF YOU WANT IT TO HAPPEN!
FEBRUARY 7th at LANDMARK SUNSHINE CINEMA

http://www.tugg.com/events/2758

(This event will only happen if 137 more people reserve a ticket!)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Jan 2013, 00:35

Per Gessle (Roxette) is working on the album cover art... The sounddrack should be announced soon!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Jan 2013, 11:19

Jox wrote:NEW YORK THEATRICAL OPENING: JOIN IF YOU WANT IT TO HAPPEN!
FEBRUARY 7th at LANDMARK SUNSHINE CINEMA

http://www.tugg.com/events/2758

(This event will only happen if 137 more people reserve a ticket!)

Same in San Francisco
http://www.tugg.com/events/2753

and in Los Angeles on February 5 with a Q&A with the producers
http://www.tugg.com/events/2764
Jox
Site Admin

Re: SMALL APARTMENTS (Jonas Åkerlund, 2012) Feb 8-19 in the

Postby Jox on 20 Jan 2013, 03:38

The great David Koechner plays Detective Tim O'Grady in "Small Apartments." Koechner is well over six foot -- a giant of a man -- who makes everyone around him smile as soon as he appears. With his massive paws he shakes hands, slaps backs, delivers hugs, and fires off one-liners.

His first time on set, one of the crew asked, "Who are you playing?"
"Ahh," Koechner responded, waving him off. "I'm just background."

In a scene where Koechner makes an arrest of two punks, he does some great ad-libbing with his dialogue. Lots of creative profanity.

Koechner's character's name, "Det. Tim O'Grady" is the real-life name of a college fraternity brother of mine who became a police officer in Western NY. In the film, O'Grady has a partner -- named after another fraternity brother -- who is played by the amazing character actor David Warshofsky ("Lincoln", "The Master"). I will tell Warshofsky's story and the emotional backstory of his character's name in an upcoming post.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 20 Jan 2013, 13:51

As always, thank you for the contribution, but who are you quoting? It must be someone very attached to the film in some way. Like, a writer or something?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby bomaz on 20 Jan 2013, 14:20

I think it's Chris Millis daily "trivia" report ;)
bomaz

Postby leigh1975 on 20 Jan 2013, 14:35

Jox wrote:
The great David Koechner plays Detective Tim O'Grady in "Small Apartments." Koechner is well over six foot -- a giant of a man -- who makes everyone around him smile as soon as he appears. With his massive paws he shakes hands, slaps backs, delivers hugs, and fires off one-liners.

His first time on set, one of the crew asked, "Who are you playing?"
"Ahh," Koechner responded, waving him off. "I'm just background."

In a scene where Koechner makes an arrest of two punks, he does some great ad-libbing with his dialogue. Lots of creative profanity.

Koechner's character's name, "Det. Tim O'Grady" is the real-life name of a college fraternity brother of mine who became a police officer in Western NY. In the film, O'Grady has a partner -- named after another fraternity brother -- who is played by the amazing character actor David Warshofsky ("Lincoln", "The Master"). I will tell Warshofsky's story and the emotional backstory of his character's name in an upcoming post.

Whammy.
leigh1975

Postby dolphage on 20 Jan 2013, 14:37

Ah, it's THE writer... Thank you, that makes sense.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 20 Jan 2013, 14:54

bomaz wrote:I think it's Chris Millis daily "trivia" report ;)

Yes, sorry I forgot to include the URL again (which I had in the past week), Millis is the writer of the novel AND the screenplay and is posting anecdotes and memories on the production on his FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Mil ... 88?fref=ts
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Jan 2013, 10:46

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Mi ... 8403006088
The morning after the 2012 Golden Globes I was having breakfast with Matt Lucas, leading man of "Small Apartments," at The London hotel in Los Angeles. We were beckoned to a nearby table (in this photo of the dining room, it's one of the round tables in the middle). Seated at that table was the mesmerizing, Academy Award-winning actress, Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton). She had been nominated as Best Actress the night before for the film "We Need to Talk About Kevin."

She wanted to visit with Matt, of course. She asked, "Didn't you just finish shooting a new film?"
"I did," smiled Matt. "It's called 'Small Apartments' and right here is the writer and executive producer."
"Congratulations," said Ms. Swinton.
"Thank you," I blushed. "Actually, I'm reading the Narnia books right now to my twin boys."
"Really?" she said.
"Yeah. They won't believe it when I tell them I met the White Witch in West Hollywood."

She laughed, then chatted with Matt about, among other things, her castle in Scotland. What an elegant, talented lady.

Matt and I returned to our table and immediately made eye contact with Emily Watson (twice nominated for the Best Actress Oscar). She smiled, waved, folded her hands over her heart and mouthed the words, "I love you."

Again, pretty sure she was talking to Matt.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Jan 2013, 01:23

In “Small Apartments,” David Warshofsky plays Detective Rich Holman of the Los Angeles Police Department. This character is named for one of my best friends who died in an automobile accident in Georgia in October 1996 -- just days before he was to become a Federal Parks Police Officer (his upcoming graduation ceremony was to be on his birthday). The news of Rich’s death was a shock I don’t think I’ve ever, really recovered from.

As I sat on set in a cramped space made up to look like a cheap motel room the night Billy Crystal (as LA Fire Investigator Burt Walnut) rolled over in bed, looked at his cell phone with the name “Rich Holman” scrolling across the lighted display, then proceeded to have a conversation wherein he uses Rich’s full name—well, needless to say, it was pretty emotional for me. A moment I’ll never forget.

David Warshofsky (in photo) plays Det. Rich Holman. Warshofsky is a terrific character actor who you will recognize from roles in “There Will Be Blood,” “Lincoln,” and “The Master.” Early on in production, we had discussed the origination of his character’s name. When we wrapped the film, Warshofsky said to me, “I hope I did your friend’s name proud.”

What a class act.

He did do Rich’s name proud. And one of the reasons I can’t wait to share my film with the widest possible audience is because of that feeling I get every time I hear Billy Crystal and David Warshofsky honor the name Rich Holman.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Mi ... 8403006088
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jan 2013, 18:02

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
During a scene in "Small Apartments" where Billy Crystal (Burt Walnut) speaks with Matt Lucas (Franklin Franklin) over the phone, director Jonas Akerlund wanted the actors to be able to actually speak to one another so they could react naturally in their conversation. The production design team needed to put a Bluetooth inside the plastic shell of a princess phone to make it happen.

The 1st Assistant Director, Andy Coffing, asked if anyone had a Bluetooth ear piece they could use. No one offered. He said, "Doesn't anyone have a Bluetooth? It's a California state law, y'know?"

Everyone studied their shoelaces.

"I have one," I said.
"Good," said Andy. "Set it up."

The production design team inserted my Bluetooth into the set phone so that Billy could speak with Matt (located in another room) through my BlackBerry. We then shot many takes and, each time my phone began to ring, I nearly LEAPT from my chair -- terrified that my phone was ringing on set while we were filming. It was very Pavlovian. Once I settled down after a dozen takes, I just kept praying that one of my buddies didn't try calling me while we were shooting.

Yeah, so, when you watch that scene... that's Billy Crystal and Matt Lucas talking on my cell phone.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jan 2013, 11:03

My best pal, the talented actor, Scott Sheldon, plays LAPD Officer Clarence Smith in "Small Apartments" (so named for Scotty's maternal grandfather). Scotty is hilarious in his scenes and more than holds his own through a comic crime scene investigation opposite Billy Crystal, David Koechner, and David Warshofsky.

Scotty grew a thick "cop moustache" for the role, which the makeup department colored deep black -- along with his hair. To further help him get into character, Costume Designer B. Akerlund had Scotty wear high-heeled Cuban boots. I don't believe those are standard issue for California law enforcement, but they do provide Officer Smith a certain masculine swagger.

Scotty remembers running lines with Koechner in his trailer when they were called to rehearse a scene with Billy. In Billy's trailer -- along with Warshofsky -- Scotty says that, when he delivered one of his funnier lines, Billy laughed, shook his head and apologized. They had to start over from the top.

A great moment for Scotty: making Billy Crystal laugh and break character because of his line delivery.

What made Billy laugh?

You'll have to wait to see the film to discover the unique accoutrement Officer Smith purports to be an expert in. Image

During a production, different drafts are different colors as revisions are made (so you know you're not looking at old pages). This is the cover to the "Salmon" script -- not the last revision.

Alex Solowitz, Dolph Lundgren (the only actor who signed as his character. Dolph is so method), Ned Bellamy, Jennifer Echols, Juno Temple, Angela Lindvall, Rosie Perez, Dennis "LA" White, James Marsden

Amanda Plummer, Peter Stormare, James Caan, Johnny Knoxville, Billy Crystal, Matt Lucas, David Warshofsky, Scott Sheldon, Rebel Wilson, and (I think) David Koechner
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies