UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER 3 (2009)

Postby MFS on 11 Feb 2010, 13:00

Nofear wrote:I have to agree with MFS, I have had the Blu Ray now about three weeks. Although the picture quality is not the greatest, this is a simple, fight fest.

The story is pretty weak, but it doesn't have to be intellectual. Andrei, more than holds his own in this film.

Dolph for me, steals this film. He oozes bad ass. Simple!

I don't see this as a JC or Lundgren flick, I never did when I saw it a while ago. It's a film with them in it.

take it as you will, this is a very well shot action flick, the sound, score and choreography more than live up to cinematic releases.

So the picture quality ain't that great? Well as long as it's "okay" and not incredibly dark or anything, I'm fine with it. Regarding the story, yes I agree, it's very straight-forward, but when it comes to DTV-movies, I think thats a blessing, since alot of them have unneeded and annoying subplots that just becomes distracting. I also agree with that last part you wrote, it actually feels like a movie made for the cinema, atleast most of the time. What really surprised me was the minimal use of the infamous filming technique known as the "shaky-cam", the director made a wise choice avoiding that one.
MFS

Postby acanuckfan on 11 Feb 2010, 18:55

Hi long time Dolph fan, first time poster. I might have some spoilers in this post.

I just watched the movie last night as well as the first two US movies as some kind of movie-thon. I'm not much of a reviewer as I have a hard time explaining things but what I do know is I really enjoyed it. Found it to be on par with the first movie and alot better than the second movie. As MFS said I also was happy there was no shaky cam as I never really liked that kind of filming unless it was really neccessary to the scene. The scenery was good

I'm probably not alone on this but I wish Van Damme and Dolph had more screen time escpecially Dolph. I did like the less is more scenes with Van Damme compared to the last US movie. I didn't like the fact that he was completely human and had a kid and everything. It was better that he was still a little messed up from the UniSol program and was still trying to adjust to real like.

I Wish Dolph had more screen time to build up his character going crazy again. He only had one scene with the scientists before going nuts and killing everyone wich seemed a little too fast to me. One thing I did really like(besides the action scenes wich I always enjoy) was the scene where Deveraux meets Scott for the first time with the kids cowering in the corner. After seeing the first movie earlier I immediately thought of the Vietname scene with Deveraux, Scott and the Vietnam couple...or siblings not quite sure maybe someone can clarify that for me. I thought that was really cool.

I know I focused alot of Dolph and Van Damme but I enjoyed the movie as a whole. Andrei's character was good i'm glad he didn't talk much and played the silent killer type. The only complaint I did have with it wich is so minor that it's probably uneccessary but it stuck out to me was during the first attack from the american forces one of the soldiers had an AK-47 or what looks like an AK-47. I might have missed something but was this an American unit or multi-national group? Again minor complaint but It kinda threw me off. Oh another complaint I just thought of was that for a recon mission that soldier sure made quite a bit of noise firing off a gun to kill a sentry. Again small complaint but kinda stuck out to me.

No i'm probably rambling so I'll end it here. Good movie that i'll probably watch as much as the first movie. Thank you for your time.
acanuckfan

Postby Warchild on 12 Feb 2010, 01:27

MY REVIEW:

I'm very upset that this movie was straight to DVD, this movie was very well directed, very well visually captured, the fights are many, and are one of the best and most realistic fights i have ever seen, the cast in the movie was awesome, the gunfire and explosions are very loud, it's like being in a real warzone.

Dolph was the best of them all, it's a shame he wasn't in the movie longer, he had that Andrew Scott character in him still, even after all these years, but this time looking more menacing and creepy.

The Director focused more on the new Unisol NGU " andrei the pitbull", which is fine by me because he his the new Unisol, almost unstoppable. I think the plot was good, the only thing is they left the movie still with many unanswered questions because i think their intention is so people watch the next Unisol movie.

This movie also has many dangerous stunts, something i haven't seen in a van damme and Dolph movie in the past 10 years. The soundtrack was excellent, i loved it, it matched the movie perfectly.

Certainly this movie is alot better then US 2 the return, but the first one is still better, more because it had better locations, better story and the fight between Dolph and JC was a little better.

Still this movie rocks and i gave it an 8/10. :D

Can someone bring Sargent Andrew Scott back please for Unisol 4 as a good guy this time. :D
Warchild
Regular

Postby Krom on 12 Feb 2010, 05:14

Warchild wrote:MY REVIEW:

Dolph was the best of them all, it's a shame he wasn't in the movie longer, he had that Andrew Scott character in him still, even after all these years, but this time looking more menacing and creepy.

For me the creepiest was the moment he turns to the doctor and asked "YES OR NO!" line 8)
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Warchild on 12 Feb 2010, 06:38

Dolph would have been perfect to play a terminator, he is so good at it. I liked every sentence he said, some of it i still don't understand, what andrew was trying to say to the doc and JC :D
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Feb 2010, 13:51

acanuckfan wrote:Hi long time Dolph fan, first time poster.

Hey acanuckfan thanks for posting, always good to meet new members and Dolph fans, feel free to come and post as often as you want!

DL interview about UNISOL3
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/35860/ ... egenerated

BD review
http://www.killerfilm.com/film_reviews/ ... view-25294

DVD review
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/unisolregen.php

http://www.cracked.com/blog/return-of-the-jcvd
Jox
Site Admin

Postby acanuckfan on 12 Feb 2010, 15:15

When I watched that scene that comic is basing off of for a second I thought that was a gonna happen. That scientist was really annoying with the questions I thought Dolph was gonna snap his neck right then and there. Good one
acanuckfan

Postby MikeR on 13 Feb 2010, 16:06

amazon.co.uk are listing the movie for an official UK release on 5th April.

£11.99 for the DVD, £13.99 for the Blu-Ray.

M.
MikeR

Postby Nofear on 16 Feb 2010, 00:35

£13.99 for the BD is a steal!!!!

Disappointed so far though, this does not look like it made the top 50 in the USA.
Nofear

Postby Moltisanti on 16 Feb 2010, 00:48

I know it didn't show up on the IMDB rankings but I question how well that list does when it comes to DTV movies. I've seen a list that Redbox put out for its company and US3 was #10 last week for them. Plus I was in a Blockbuster a couple days ago and they have a shelf for their stores' top rentals and US3 was in the #10 slot there as well.

Based on a quick glance of the IMDB list it doesn't appear that any DTV titles are being tracked, everything on it currently had at least some sort of limited theatrical release.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2010, 14:23

Yeap, good point Molti!

Pretty good BD review from AVmaniacs
http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=1246
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2010, 19:00

Another interview with the D-man from DVDverdict!
http://www.dvdverdict.com/interview_lundgren
Jox
Site Admin

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby Jox on 19 Feb 2010, 12:55

$801,171 Overseas Boxoffice Total.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl...ERSALSOLDIER01

That's pretty good by my book given the fact that these territories are really small markets. 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby jcvdaurel on 19 Feb 2010, 23:55

In dvd and bluray on france 04 may 2010
jcvdaurel

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies