UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby irma_gedden on 30 Mar 2010, 16:36

Jox wrote:Seems that Scott Adkins (NINJA, UNDISPUTED II & III) was briefly for Captain Burke (Mike Pyle)'s part.
(I'm glad they opted out, I don't think he would have been perfectly fit for it.)
http://www.scottadkinsfanz.org/
Did you happen to see Universal Soldier: Regeneration? If so, what were your
thoughts?

Scott Adkins: I really enjoyed it. I thought John Hyams did an incredible job. I loved the mood of the film and the way it didn't try to explain everything that had gone before. There was actually talk of me playing the Mike Pyle part at one point but then it stopped. When I saw the film I was really dissapointed I didn't get that opportunity. I thought the action was really well done apart from the fact you could tell it was stunt doubles all the time. I know the stunt guys though and was impressed with what they did. I'm really excited to see what John does next. If I was a Hollywood producer I would snap him up and give him a big budget straight away.

Good find. I think you're right about Adkins not fitting that role perfectly. It would have been interesting. I think Adkins is right, though. Hollywood needs to notice Hyams because he has some talent.
irma_gedden

Postby Dragonrage on 30 Mar 2010, 17:55

As I said on JC forum...I think that Scott would be more apropriet for this movie...he all ready has a known name out there...known face, and he definitely has a skills...
Mike Pyle isn't that known outside USA (for example, until USR I personally didn't knew who Mike Pyle is)...and I don't think that he will make any impact in the future in movie business...
Scott's name would give more "muscle" to this movie...
Dragonrage

Postby Jox on 02 Apr 2010, 13:47

Ranked #2 (below AVATAR) in its first week in Lebanon.
http://www.grandcinemas.com/grand-homepage.aspx
TOP TEN
25th March - 31st March 2010

1. Avatar
2. Universal Soldiers 3: Regeneration
3. Up in The Air
4. Maatook Fi Bangkok
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks
6. Sherlock Holmes
7. Bad Lieutenant
8. Ace Ventura Jr. Pet Detective
9. Badel Faked
10. Men Who Stare at Goats
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nofear on 03 Apr 2010, 02:10

Jox interesting that the lebonese chose the title "Soldiers" and used the number 3
Nofear

Postby Nathan on 05 Apr 2010, 20:23

I should hopefully recieve my UK US-R dvd tomorrow, but I saw it in shops today, it got quite got visibility in the charts and it has a great shiny slip cover, pretty impressed with the look of it so far. I'll give my review later in the week and focus it on Dolph, as for JC I'll save what I have to say about him for the JC forum, to avoid too much bad language... :wink:
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Apr 2010, 23:55

http://www.dvdfever.co.uk/reviews/unisol3.shtml
Okay, the first movie was a fantastic, excellent piece of knockabout entertainment. The sequel, stunk to high heaven, so what is the hope for Universal Soldier: Regeneration? Three words: Dolph is back!.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 07 Apr 2010, 01:08

Simply copied my review from the Van Damme forum, so it might be slightly focused on him or one-sided but I hope not. I pretty much agree with what everyone else has been saying, it seems that there is a "Universal" opinion...but here's my kinda additional thoughts... :wink:

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION - My first viewing on dvd and the first thing I appreciated more than watching it online was the DOP work. The actual look of the film is fantastic. Another thing is the score, which is fantastic.

We've discussed this movie a lot so I'll just give a few thoughts -

- Dolph was by far the most interesting character, his introduction to the movie and his demise was awesome, as was his acting. I found myself waiting for his scenes.
- Van Damme was okay, he was in it more than I remembered but still not enough. His acting was pretty good actually for the type of character he was playing but I wish they had touched on his "psycho" side more like they did at the start.
- Andrei is quite a threatening enemy, whilst not such an interesting character as Dolph he did the job pretty good with what he was given.
- The story and the movie flowed better than I remembered the first time too, which was good.
- I loved the kinda zombie/horror element in it and the movie was more suspenseful than the first, almost "thriller" like.
- The blood, gore, deaths etc were great.
- The best fight was Dolph vs JC, not just because of the novelty factor but also because it was the most imaginative, best edited, (although obvious use of doubles in some places), the one with the most satisfying conclusion and variety of styles of MA, it was also the best lit/clearest to see.

Thoughts on the possible sequel:-

Idea One -
They use the Mike Pyle idea that was shown at the end and have him as the main star as he was very charismatic. Wouldn't bring back Arlovski because we've already seen him fight Pyle. Either bring in a new enemy or find a way of bringing back Dolph because he said if John Hyams helmed it he might return. This would mean a movie of Pyle vs Dolph with possibility of another MA actor. Dunno about the story, DTV obviously but could be good because I love Dolph's character and Pyle was surprisingly a highlight.

Idea Two -

Bring back JC. JC is interested in a good script and a good character right? Why not have the franchise go the complete opposite way and make JC the villain? Have someone capture him when he's running around, do a complete overhaul and try to use him for evil purposes and have a team of Pyles go after him.

Somehow I don't think we'll see either Dolph or JC in US-4, if it happens. But as far as US-3 goes, it's quite a blast and definately just a step or two away from the excitement of the original, mostly due to the swift editing, music, acting and general suspense making the movies battles seem quite epic.

7.5/10
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Rukia212002 on 08 Apr 2010, 21:02

I only got this film because of Dolph Lundgren but I really liked this film only because of Dolph's excellent performance as Andrew Scott. :) I was really disappointed that Van Damme had more screen time than Dolph though there was very little of Dolph and only towards kind of the end of the film was when we see his appearance. The DVD cover was misleading as Dolph wasn't featured that much there was like 4 scenes with Dolph in the film. Dolph was back to his badass best. :) The final rematch between Van Damme and Lundgren was really shocking and a unexpected bloody end. There was a bit where Andrew wanted to say something but Luc was having none of it and then Luc put a bullet in his head, :cry: I wish that we got to hear what Andrew was gonna say but we didn't that was harsh :x and the way Andrew was shot was very graphic.
Did Luc turn bad and did Andrew turn good at the end? I didn't like the way Van Damme's character was written though. :x Van Damme looks like his aged really badly :lol: and Dolph looked sexy :D and buff in this movie I was well impressed with him in this film. My favorite bit in the movie was when Andrew said to the doctor " Do you contemplate the complexity of life" for me that was an emotional scene proving that Dolph has become a really brilliant actor as the years have gone by and I definitely feel that the years have been kind to Dolph as he hasn't aged one bit he looks very manly and more beefed up and sexy :wink: what more could you ask for?
Rukia212002

Postby Geoff on 09 Apr 2010, 14:31

I really like Dolph's scenes in the film - much deeper acting, flashbacks from Blade Runner or Frankenstiens Monster. I felt that Dolph was wasted in this though.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Apr 2010, 15:40

Doing quite good in the UK charts (rental or sales?) against strong theatrical titles
rank #8 (combined video)
rank #7(BD)
http://www.theofficialcharts.com/video-charts/
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies