UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2010, 14:39

A few people feel cheated, but Dolph still manages to give a memorable appearance and steal the show! And the movie is surprisingly good enough that you can appreciate it on its own (without just waiting for Dolph's scenes).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 11 Mar 2010, 15:00

Sure, from all that I've heard it's a good movie and fun to watch. But I meant that this trailer creates the illusion that the movie centers on Van Damme. He doesn't have more screen time than Dolph, does he? It's Arlovski who gets by far the most time, right?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2010, 17:12

Van Damme does has more screen time than Dolph as well.

Thai

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 13 Mar 2010, 16:54

The uk's the most agressive one, most of the covers are pretty great since the first bad one:)
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Mar 2010, 21:22

Official poster and new stills from FORESIGHT UNLIMITED, the production company
http://www.foresight-unltd.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=54

Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Mar 2010, 14:18

Apparently the German edition will be available as a limited steelbook as well.

STEELBOOK DVD

BD
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 18 Mar 2010, 21:00

That german steelbook is pretty awesome... :D
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nofear on 20 Mar 2010, 11:17

The UK seems to be the best so far IMO

Jox wrote:A few people feel cheated, but Dolph still manages to give a memorable appearance and steal the show! And the movie is surprisingly good enough that you can appreciate it on its own (without just waiting for Dolph's scenes).

I don't think anyone feels any reason to feel cheated. Dolph was the best part of the film for me. The guy gave a solid performance which begs the question; do we contemplate the complexity of life? ;)
Nofear

Postby Jox on 20 Mar 2010, 21:07

I don't think either; but there's a few people (unaware of the production situation) who expressed their disappointment of having Dolph being advertised as much as he is on the cover and being so little in the film.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby irma_gedden on 29 Mar 2010, 18:03

That was a good review. Sounds like the reviewer was impressed with Dolph's brief performance in this movie as well. I thought it was quite well done. I'm beginning to think, though, that more time with Scott in the film, while it would be great to see more Dolph, would not necesarily be much better. The very brief moments with Scott made them very impacting. Firther, as Vern pointed out in his review, at the end of the fiml, it is not really clear if Devereaux is really on "our" side which makes this unique for an action film and a Universal Soldier movie. It is unclear that he is really a good guy. He is more like an automaton at the end. I think less connection to the characters (less screen time and character moments) help give that impression

That being said, I would not have objected to more of Scott in the movie! Or more Devereaux. I really enjoy those two against each other and interacting with each other.

IG
irma_gedden

Postby Jox on 30 Mar 2010, 15:53

Seems that Scott Adkins (NINJA, UNDISPUTED II & III) was briefly for Captain Burke (Mike Pyle)'s part.
(I'm glad they opted out, I don't think he would have been perfectly fit for it.)
http://www.scottadkinsfanz.org/
Did you happen to see Universal Soldier: Regeneration? If so, what were your
thoughts?

Scott Adkins: I really enjoyed it. I thought John Hyams did an incredible job. I loved the mood of the film and the way it didn't try to explain everything that had gone before. There was actually talk of me playing the Mike Pyle part at one point but then it stopped. When I saw the film I was really dissapointed I didn't get that opportunity. I thought the action was really well done apart from the fact you could tell it was stunt doubles all the time. I know the stunt guys though and was impressed with what they did. I'm really excited to see what John does next. If I was a Hollywood producer I would snap him up and give him a big budget straight away.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies