AGENT RED (Damian Lee & Jim Wynorski, 2000)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Nathan on 25 Sep 2008, 19:16

I thought it only took from Storm Catcher, Agent Red is truly the WORST film Dolph has ever done, worse than Retrograde, I hope he never makes another movie like that now, that was him at his lowest point - the movie would have been quite fun too.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Reznik on 14 Oct 2008, 02:17

Nathan wrote:I thought it only took from Storm Catcher, Agent Red is truly the WORST film Dolph has ever done, worse than Retrograde

Really ?
Worse than The Last patrol ? :shock:
Reznik

Postby Craigie-Boy on 14 Oct 2008, 04:34

Well, ALMOST as bad!
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby manudenis2005 on 14 Oct 2008, 08:30

Agent Red was even worse than Last Patrol.It was a real torture as a fan to watch this gem.
manudenis2005
manudenis2005
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2008, 08:51

WORSE than The Last Patrol.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 14 Oct 2008, 09:09

I actually didn't mind "The Last Patrol"...

sure it was flawed, but it wasn't boring like everyone else said it was.

Only two Dolph movies you should avoid: Agent Red and The Minion!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2008, 17:09

The_Canadian wrote:I actually didn't mind "The Last Patrol"...
Me neither... even though the characters were weak and it was pretty cheezy
Jox
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 14 Oct 2008, 20:35

Jox wrote:Me neither... even though the characters were weak and it was pretty cheezy

Actually my only problem with LP was the ending: setting aside the weirdo rain dance sequence- Jesus' defeat just came off as anti-climactic, and the two main villains (the goat guy and the Weird Al look-alike) were never even dealt with!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Craigie-Boy on 15 Oct 2008, 03:50

It was supposed to be the pilot for a TV series, wasn't it? Presumably, those two characters were conveniently forgotten about so that they could crop up again in subsequent episodes - which, of course, were never made; I believe Dolph was reluctant to attach himself to a TV series coming so soon after the cancellation of the proposed Blackjack series.
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Jox on 15 Oct 2008, 19:18

Yes it was somewhat intended as a TV series but I'm not sure any serious deal had been made regarding that; and people involved were not even on the same page regarding what kind of project they were making.

I did an in depth interview with the director Sheldon Lettich last year and said he and Dolph agreed to make the film with the permission from the producer they could rewrite the script. But the writers, also co-executive producers and coming from a TV background, didn't allow one line to be changed by anyone but them, not mentioning the cutbacks on the budget (there was no money left at some point in post so Avi Lerner from Nu Image, having seen footage and liking what he saw, came in and helped out)... so then Lettich and Dolph who had been paid in advance and were on location had no choice but to do this as a work for hire and just make the best of it within the circumstances.

By the way I must be the only one but I think the 'weirdo rain dance sequence' is the best thing in the movie, even though it doesn't make sense (I'd say because it doesn't make sense it makes it interesting). That and Dolph's lost sense of purpose/identity quest are the two things redeeming the film to me.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on 15 Oct 2008, 19:59

I would have loved the Blackjack series - I really liked the pilot.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 16 Oct 2008, 21:27

Interesting, I never knew that Blackjack was meant to be a series!

BTW:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 16 Oct 2008, 23:34

I think Agent Red and The Last Patrol are on par as being his worst..every other movie he has done except Retrograde is watchable and most are very enjoyable.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Oct 2008, 23:54

Mosquito wrote:Interesting, I never knew that Blackjack was meant to be a series!

BTW:

You didn't?! How could you have been there this past decade and not know?

Yeah for sure it was. After his "Once a thief" series, John Woo was still in contract with Alliance Communications and USA Network for direct the pilot and executive produce TV series; it turned out to be 'Blackjack', then they signed Dolph for it. (Otherwise Woo wouldn't have gone from his "Face/Off" breakthrough to a small TV pilot!) In the end USA Network didn't pick up as a series so it was never produced. I also believe Woo didn't like it much because he had no hand in the post-production, even during production he was rewriting the script every night but could only change so much and the schedule was tight (3-4 weeks)...

Here's some good reads then (btw does anybody read the stuff on the site?)
http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/articles/article10.html
http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/dolph-in/articles.html
Jox
Site Admin

Just noticed something...

Postby Jack Caine on 06 Apr 2009, 05:37

Is it me or did they use this production still from Silent Trigger for the cover of Agent Red?

funny fact: my uncle owns Agent Red and SilT and still has no idea who Dolph Lundgren is.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies