JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert longo, 1995)

Postby Jox on 23 Dec 2013, 18:33

A few "vintage" words from William Gibson at 2m19s

Gibson's handmade shooting script (yellow revision, March 1994)
Price: $12,500.00
http://www.divisionleap.com/cgi-bin/akd/19992.html
4to, loose leaves housed in an altered three ring binder bound in rigid circuit boards, with additional material laid. Signed on the title page by Gibson. Artists' book created by William Gibson during the shooting of the Robert Longo film Johnny Mnemonic, which had been based on Gibson's excellent short story of the same name. The binder is strikingly bound in circuit boards, with additional elements pasted on, including photographs, holograph notes on duct tape, and a postcard. Inserted in the back is correspondence, call sheets, original computer printouts of script revisions, some annotated, and a large poster print of a pre-production drawing from the film. The near past of the nineties never seemed so far from us now. Originally conceived of as being a low budget art film - in an interview which predated the film's US release in Wired, Longo said that it "started out as an arty 1½-million-dollar movie, and it became a 30-million-dollar movie because we couldn't get a million and a half." Bankrolled by Sony, the film was hacked apart and roughly edited into a different film as that company underestimated the public. According to a 1998 interview with Gibson in The Peak, "Basically what happened was it was taken away and re-cut by the American distributor in the last month of its pre-release life, and it went from being a very funny, very alternative piece of work to being something that had been very unsuccessfully chopped and cut into something more mainstream." The intersection of Cyberpunk and mainstream entertainment became a critical flop. An invaluable and unique record of the meeting point of cyberpunk with mainstream culture.

Image Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 23 Dec 2013, 23:32

Wonderful, thanks! I love the paintings of the Blade Runner scenes shown in the video.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Jun 2014, 19:27

Very candid Robert Longo interview on JM, studio interferences, and Val Kilmer...
http://vimeo.com/68629832
What happened with JOHNNY MNEMONIC is, it's not smart enough to be an art movie, and it's not fucked up enough to be an action movie. So it's this really weird, incomplete thing. Anyway, the experience of making a movie was an insane nightmare for me.

Udo Kier (Ralfi) on JM:
http://www.empireonline.com/features/ud ... career/p11
"Robert Longo made that movie, and he wasn’t a director: he’s a famous painter. He’s married to Barbara Sukowa, who is a friend of mine. She played the main part in Lars von Trier’s Europa. I introduced her to Lars, and we made movies together with [Rainer Werner] Fassbinder, a long time ago. What I remember about Johnny Mnemonic... My dream has always been to see myself. I’ve never seen myself. You have never seen yourself: only a reflection in a mirror. In that film they had to make a whole model of me because a Japanese person comes and slices me up like a piece of meat. It was very annoying to have to pose for the model and have all foam in my face and all that.

Then I came back two weeks later and the people took me to the studio to show me the model. Look, my hair is standing up just thinking about this. I saw myself standing there, in the costume, under the lights, and I went slowly up to myself and I touched my face. I didn’t like it. I wanted to look better than that! But what can you do. So I saw myself for the first time on that film.

It was nice to work with Keanu Reeves again. I worked with him in my first American film, My Own Private Idaho, with River Phoenix and Gus van Sant. It’s always good if you worked with the actors already before. I like that film, but I think it didn’t work very well. I think the chemistry between Keanu and Dina Meyer wasn’t very strong."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 15 Jun 2014, 00:06

Refreshingly open. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Jul 2014, 22:38

William Gibson Interview from Cannes 1994
(movie was wrapping filming, Dolph and Dina Meyer were also there to promote it)
https://w2.eff.org/Misc/Publications/Wi ... .interview

New Jazzpunk trailer invokes spirit of Johnny Mnemonic
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Nov 2014, 12:18

Tracks from the rejected score by Black Rain, featured in the album 1.0

Robert Longo had initially commissioned them this dark and industrial music before Mychael Danna (composer for Ang Lee and Atom Egoyan) composed another score that remained on the Japanese longer cut, before Brad Fiedel (TERMINATOR 1 & 2, BLINK, TRUE LIES) was ultimately brought in by Sony/TriStar to do another new one...
(one Black Rain track remained in the Japanese version and soundtrack edition though)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby viendammage on 18 Nov 2014, 02:25

Jox wrote:Very candid Robert Longo interview on JM, studio interferences, and Val Kilmer...
http://vimeo.com/68629832
What happened with JOHNNY MNEMONIC is, it's not smart enough to be an art movie, and it's not fucked up enough to be an action movie. So it's this really weird, incomplete thing. Anyway, the experience of making a movie was an insane nightmare for me.

Just watched this for first time the other day, what a crazy movie. Some really cool ideas and ambition but what a mess in execution.

Any idea who the stunt coordinator was they wanted to replace him with?
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

Postby Jox on 18 Nov 2014, 11:24

Vic Armstrong (second unit director on the movie) maybe?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 18 Nov 2014, 17:59

Yep, it was Armstrong. I read his book and he wrote that he was hired for second unit on MNEMONIC as an insurance policy in case the producers wanted to fire Longo.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Tom on 20 Nov 2014, 01:41

Watching this right now on TV. I've seen it a few times but it's just dawned on me the slightly comical aspect that Dolph gets killed by a Dolphin. Ha ha.

Such a weird mess of a film. There's bits that should work and it could have been really good, but it's just such a mess.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Nov 2014, 21:33

Greek poster
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 23 Nov 2014, 05:40

The text on the lest reads;

"His job: Postman
His package: 320 million BYTES of stolen data implanted in his brain.
His name:

Johnny Mnemonic
The Future's most wanted fugitive"

Once again a pretty faithful translation from the U.S. posters. The literal words are different, but the meaning is exactly the same.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 08 Jan 2015, 16:05

Apparently Robert Longo had written a script first before William Gibson himself got involved. And Joel Silver was interested in producing early on, then came Carolco (who were developping, with James Cameron notably, Gibson's 'Neuromancer' and other short stories adaptations from 'Burning Chrome')...

An Artist Is Now a Director : Longo Hopes 'Crypt' Opens Film Career, June 27, 1992
http://articles.latimes.com/print/1992- ... film-world
"Krasnow was really excited about the response to 'Arena Brains' and got it released on home video, and then he told me to find a feature film I wanted to do and he'd give me $1.5 million," he recalls. "So my partner, Victoria Hamburg, and I wrote a script called 'Johnny Mnemonic,' based on a William Gibson short story, and Krasnow liked it. We were about a month away from pre-production in 1990 when Warner Bros. got bought by Time-Life and everything got put on hold. Krasnow cut me loose from our deal so I could get the film made somewhere else, but at that point I just thought 'to hell with this--I give up.' "

But another fortuitous social encounter put Longo's project back into play.

"A few years ago I met Joel Silver (one of the executive producers of "Tales From the Crypt") at La Coupole in Paris and wound up giving him a tour of Paris at night and we became friends. When he heard about this script I had, he expressed an interest in executive producing it for me and, once that happened, all these doors started opening. Carolco wound up buying the rights to the script and hired William Gibson to do a rewrite. We're now at the point where Carolco is waiting to see my episode of 'Tales From the Crypt' before giving 'Johnny Mnemonic' a green light--not enough pressure, huh? This is definitely an audition for me."

That was before the production ended up indie from one of the Carolco executives Peter Hoffmann (who later made a deal with TriStar for distribution)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Feb 2015, 12:43

Conceptual artist Syd Mead (BLADE RUNNER, TRON, ALIENS) on JOHNNY MNEMONIC:
"I didn’t really need to do this one, so my agent sent an outrageous demand to the producers and they came back with a cheque, so we were off on another adventure! I was supposed to design the bridge where the techies had their headquarters. I actually also started designing a cryogenic capsule to hold Keanu [Reeves’] head. I wondered why if the information’s in his head they don’t just cut his head off, so I designed this cabinet to hold it, but it was never used. I designed the dolphin too, and all the appliances that went on it. The director had never directed before, but he had William Gibson looking over his shoulder. Gibson looked at what I was doing and said it was exactly what he’d imagined when he was writing the story. That made me feel good."

http://www.empireonline.com/features/sy ... designs/p7
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies