JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC

Postby Catty on 18 Sep 2009, 15:02

The street preacher was more death metal than Jesus. He reminded me of Cannibal Corpse in a way.
Catty
Catty

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC

Postby Abyss-Lord on 30 Oct 2009, 00:51

Catty wrote:The street preacher was more death metal than Jesus. He reminded me of Cannibal Corpse in a way.

lol wut?

Death/Morbid Angel/Obituary/etc/etc/etc > Cannibal Corpse
Abyss-Lord

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC (1995)

Postby Jox on 15 Jul 2010, 23:32

Free screening of JOHNNY MNEMONIC tonight in Portland, Oregon in special circumstances:
http://pdx.fm/7th-planet-picture-show/
7th Planet PIcture Show is an MST3K-inspired live celebration of cinematic camp, taking place twice a month at the Mt. Tabor Theater in Portland, Oregon. Will Radik and 2 or more hardened camp cinema veterans will face down some of the most ridiculous, awkward, and tasteless films born unto this pitiless earth, with only microphones (and probably alcohol). Audience members are not only allowed but encouraged to shout at the movie themselves and leave their cell phones on.

Though the live commentary is the heart of the show, it doesn’t stop there. At the end of the film, audiences may want to mill around the luxurious and dark Mt. Tabor lounge, perhaps discussing the finer points of the cinematic piece they’ve just viewed. At this point, Will may show clips or behind the scenes footage pertaining to the film, ridiculous clips of just about anything else, trailers, or even another movie. Beyond the main film and commentary, 7th Planet Picture Show is, well, like a bo-. Never mind.

Did I mention there’s a bar right in the back of the lounge where the movies are shown? Well, there is. You can even watch it from a barstool. Isn’t that grand?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 20 Jul 2010, 06:55

I love those MST3K shows... I went to one a few months back where the unfortunate "target" was MOTU. I've been begging them to pick Showdown in Little Tokyo for the longest time, but no luck yet. Sorry, but that one is ripe for picking apart...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2010, 10:49

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Dec 2010, 03:17

South Korean poster
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 15 Dec 2010, 01:14

What I always thought was interesting about JOHNNY MNEMONIC is when I first saw the original trailers, it was sold primarily on Keanu's name (he was big after coming from SPEED). Only when it was released to home video did Lundgren's name get mentioned in the advertisments, cover, etc. Granted, his picture wasn't included on the cover (unless you count the small snapshot on the case's back), but his name was at least second-billed after Keanu... Perhaps this could be because Dolph was easily the most memorable character in an otherwise poor film.

As a side note, I remember Keanu catching flack afterwards as choosing this film to be his next after the success of SPEED.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 15 Dec 2010, 01:42

For a cameo in a movie with such a large cast (Keanu Reeves, Takeshi Kitano, Ice-T, Henri Rollins, Dina Meyer, Udo Kier, Barbara Sukowa...) Dolph was actually well served with top billing alongside Keanu on all the one-sheets and posters.

The movie could have been brilliant and nobody predicted such a flop. If you ever read some William Gibson novels you know the man is as visionary as Philip K. Dick and the likes (described internet and cyberspace more than a decade before it was invented).

The project was actually hot and before Keanu eventually got cast, all the young male actors in Hollywood wanted the part, which was first given to Val Kilmer (who walked away to make BATMAN FOREVER) and then Christophe Lambert (who did HIGHLANDER III). It wasn't a huge budget (between 25 and 30 million USD) but they were aiming at getting a bang for their buck by shooting in Canada. SPEED had not come out yet when they filmed JM in the late winter/spring of 1994.

It's actually once SPEED became a huge hit that the producers started to be too involved in the (long) post-production and messed things up (they even wanted to re-shoot a chase in a bus), cut, cut, and re-cut the movie again, axed Dolph's part because of they were afraid it might offend some religious groups, rejected the first music scores etc... Four years later THE MATRIX achieved what JM couldn't. For those interested I urge you to get a hold of the Japanese version, much much better and darker than the international cut.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby sujana on 15 Dec 2010, 15:23

Jesus Time wrote:Dolph Lundgrens work on Johnny Mneumonic was really really great!!! I suppose that film is more of a "cult" classic, but I simply love it. "It's Jesus time!" Go out and rent it or something if you haven't. It's quite worth it.

wher ther will be Jesus , I will not miss that thing and will love that , and I will watch it definitely .
sujana

Postby Mosquito on 27 Dec 2010, 22:18

Well, I still can't see why it was such a flop. I think it's a good movie. But then again, most people aren't Cyberpunk fans I guess.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Dec 2010, 01:10

Mosquito wrote:Well, I still can't see why it was such a flop. I think it's a good movie. But then again, most people aren't Cyberpunk fans I guess.

I don't think that was the issue (or I don't think THE MATRIX would have worked four years later), I'd even say it wasn't cyperpunk enough, and if you watch the (much better, darker) Japanese cut you can tell it was supposed to be more and worked way better that way. No it was just poor marketing and bad decisions on Sony's part. And maybe the fact that director artist Robert Longo (whose this is the first feature) never meant to make a Hollywood entertainment type film in the first place...

Anyway here are some of the drawings and paintings he made the year before he shot the movie. Actually some of them look exactly like shots from the film which is pretty amazing. I remember going to an exhibition of his JM drawings and paintings they had in Paris when the movie came out.
http://www.robertlongo.com/work/gallery/1119
Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Apr 2011, 22:14

Henry Rollinw on JM and ...Dolph
http://read.mtvhive.com/2011/04/01/henr ... ger-angry/
You’ve done quite a bit of TV — what about movies? It’s been a while since you made Johnny Mnemonic with Keanu Reeves.

I suffered through it one time watching it.

You don’t like it? Robert Longo directed, William Gibson wrote the screenplay from his short story and Keanu Reeves stars. What’s not to like? Seriously.

Well, I don’t like me in it. It’s really hard to watch myself. I really like the director Robert Longo. He’s a huge gazillionaire artist and quite rightly. His stuff is amazing. He very kindly gave me two pieces of work that are undoubtedly worth a ton now. But he gave them to me as gifts and I still have them. This one was one of those, “Hey do you want to be in a movie?” things. For me, film work is between tours. I go at it with a very utilitarian sense. Then people come up to me and say, “I saw that movie and it sucked. Why did you do it?” Well, I did it because it’s work. I’m no Pacino, I won’t ever be in Godfather 2. But I am happy to work and it is fun. You’re not flipping burgers or wearing a 7-11 smock. I’m not putting either of these down, but trust me, making an independent film is way more fun.

Plus, it’s not every day you get brutally slaughtered by Dolph Lundgren.

Here’s some behind the scenes info on that one fight scene I’m having with Dolph: He was never very nice to me. No matter how much I said, “Hi Dolph, I’m Henry,” he just kinda looked at me. In that scene, I blocked low and he punched high and cracked me with those hands of his — which are the size of a UPS truck. He cracked me upside the head. It was a mistake, but I got a beautiful black eye from that. He didn’t even hit me hard; it was a stunt punch. He hit me with a third of what he had. If he’d gone all the way, I’d still be in intensive care. Anyway, I wrapped filming that night and went back to New York for band practice the next day. I show up and my band are all looking at me with this magnificent shiner and saying, “Who gave you that?” I said, “Dolph Lundgren.” I guess if anyone gives you a shiner, then that’s a story I can grow old with.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 03 Apr 2011, 21:56

Thats a great story. I wonder what Dolph's response to this is. Dolph probably doesn't know who Henry Rollins is...even after making a movie with him.

Btw, Sony Movie Channel is showing JM tomorrow night in HD.
Travis
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 03 Apr 2011, 22:18

Travis wrote:Thats a great story. I wonder what Dolph's response to this is. Dolph probably doesn't know who Henry Rollins is...even after making a movie with him.

Yeah I wonder if he now regrets that he didn't recognize Tarantino back then. You never know who might be important in the future.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 03 Apr 2011, 22:21

What is the story with him and Tarantino again?
Travis
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies