JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert longo, 1995)

Postby Jox on 25 Oct 2012, 01:20

Seriously?
15 Worst Movie Villain Costumes
http://screenrant.com/worst-movie-villain-costumes
(5 of 16)
Karl the Street Preacher - Johnny MnemonicKarl the "Street Preacher" (Dolph Lundgren) is a ruthless assassin sent by the Takahashi Corporation to kill Johnny Mnemonic (Keanu Reeves) and bring back his head.

Usually assassins are supposed to look like menacing, cold-blooded killers - not third-rate shepherds from a small southern church's Nativity scene. Someone needs to use that hook to drag Karl to a Macy's, and let him buy some real clothes (and get a haircut).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 25 Oct 2012, 12:18

Ridiculous... It is an amazing costume!

That's a horrible list, they've only picked really good costumes! It would be SO easy to come up with one of those lists that actually made sense...
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Travis on 12 Nov 2012, 22:36

Has Dolph ever commented on how it was working with Keanu?
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Nov 2012, 01:17

Not a lot (never asked much coz everybody wants to know about Van Damme or even Brandon Lee) except that it was a pleasant experience and he was a nice guy etc.

Here's one excerpt from the film comments on his site:
Also it was another chance to co-star against another action-star, Keanu Reeves, Speed was about to be released later that year, which made him a huge star. It was fun to work with him; he is a really nice guy. We had a few fight scenes, maybe I taught him a few moves for his action career, hopefully!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 13 Nov 2012, 19:57

Maybe he didn't spend much actual time with him. I would love to see them do another film together.

I know Henry Rollins said in magazine interview that he didn't think much of Dolph and Keanu.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Nov 2012, 20:27

Of course Dolph and Keanu didn't get to spend a lot of time together as they barely have a couple of scenes together, which probably took them a few days max working together.

Henry Rollins usually isn't shy about making bold comments so that's not surprising.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 13 Nov 2012, 20:46

I don't get why people like Henry Rollins so much(not that he is a mainstream celebrity). He seemed very disrespectful in some comments, however, he has also seemed to have said good things about Dolph on TV, and there is that one photo of Dolph and Rollins together where they look like they are having fun.
Travis
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 14 Nov 2012, 01:17

Travis wrote:I don't get why people like Henry Rollins so much(not that he is a mainstream celebrity). He seemed very disrespectful in some comments, however, he has also seemed to have said good things about Dolph on TV, and there is that one photo of Dolph and Rollins together where they look like they are having fun.

Well, hes a rock icon who has been in a legendary hard music band... TWICE, a prolific and well respected author, a renowned spoken word artist (sometimes deep and profound, sometimes pure stand-up comedy), host of numerous tv shows (including his own chat show) and film actor with projects as varied as Johnny Mnemonic, Feast, Bad Boys II and Wrong Turn 2, right through to the classic Heat and David Lynch masterpiece Lost Highway. I guess that helps.
leigh1975

Postby dolphage on 14 Nov 2012, 13:15

I'm a big Rollins guy too.

The only anecdote I've heard him tell about DL is where he said (and I'm paraphrasing):

"We were rehearsing a fight, I blocked low and Dolph punched high and he hit me in the eye. Then he looked at me and said
- You'll be allright, you're a tough guy.
And I said:
-Ghee thanks, Dolph (in a mock crying little boy voice)"

Anyone else seen that interview?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby dolphage on 14 Nov 2012, 13:29

Oh wait I found it, this is from a more recent interview but the story is pretty much the same as when I heard it:

http://www.mtvhive.com/2011/04/01/henry-rollins-is-no-longer-angry/

Plus, it’s not every day you get brutally slaughtered by Dolph Lundgren.

Here’s some behind the scenes info on that one fight scene I’m having with Dolph: He was never very nice to me. No matter how much I said, “Hi Dolph, I’m Henry,” he just kinda looked at me. In that scene, I blocked low and he punched high and cracked me with those hands of his — which are the size of a UPS truck. He cracked me upside the head. It was a mistake, but I got a beautiful black eye from that. He didn’t even hit me hard; it was a stunt punch. He hit me with a third of what he had. If he’d gone all the way, I’d still be in intensive care. Anyway, I wrapped filming that night and went back to New York for band practice the next day. I show up and my band are all looking at me with this magnificent shiner and saying, “Who gave you that?” I said, “Dolph Lundgren.” I guess if anyone gives you a shiner, then that’s a story I can grow old with.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2012, 13:40

No matter how much I said, “Hi Dolph, I’m Henry,” he just kinda looked at me.

Did he expect D to know who he was as in starstruck? :lol:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 14 Nov 2012, 18:21

You do hear quite a few stories of DL as coming across as arrogant, but I feel like some of that is a combination of shyness, a serious approach to his work and a tiny bit of a language barrier (he speaks great English but he IS Swedish). He always seems very charming in interviews...
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2012, 18:25

dolphage wrote:You do hear quite a few stories of DL as coming across as arrogant, but I feel like some of that is a combination of shyness, a serious approach to his work

That's exactly what it is, and especially coming from outgoing Americans it can be misinterpreted (not mention it can be even more particular when you're working on a movie set playing a deranged character), but with a few exceptions I've rarely anything else than how friendly and pleasant he is.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 14 Nov 2012, 23:38

Am I right in thinking that around this time in the early-mid 90s (from Universal Soldier onwards), that Dolph took his acting work VERY seriously? On the original european UNISOL DVD commentary, Dean Devlin talks about how serious Dolph took the role, even consulting his acting coach between takes. It's possible that Dolph was doing that whole 'method/staying-in-character' thing.
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 15 Nov 2012, 00:09

Oh absolutely, and that's around the same time he did some theater in New York, then was definitely pursuing more serious work and worthy characters to play. Read his interviews then you could really feel he didn't want to just "kick some ass" on screen. But he always was very serious about his work and improving his acting (which he knew he had no training for), learning the craft and keeping at theater classes and working with coaches (like Warren Robertson who was a Lee Strasberg disciple). I think the film he really tried the "method" was THE PUNISHER.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies