SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO (Mark L. Lester, 1991)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO (Mark L. Lester, 1991)

Postby alex.sp89 on 24 Aug 2023, 10:26

who knows why car chase and fight scene were not filmed? If i remember correctly they were omitted in early January 1991. During that time a strike happened, like today situation. In February many crew members during principal photography for the whole week did not come too work. Schedule was f..d up. Jox Knows better all the details from his interview with Mark L Lester. This strike affected Out for Justice (1991) in late 1990 (nov or dec) as well, after 1 month of filming in New York crew was forced to move in another location.
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 25 Oct 2023, 21:09

Original production colored script (January 2, 1991 draft)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Gunner on 28 Oct 2023, 15:10

Question, Jox; Is that draft also 99 pages long? I'm asking because i do have it too, but i read elsewhere how the official shooting script had these same credits and date, but it was 95 pages long. Probably just a difference in writing format, like with those two Steven Sharon drafts.

Either way, i have to say, this was a great script to read, and find out exactly what was cut. Comparing it to the final film, looks like Michael Eliot and Stuart Baird really had some work to do, just on that opening scene alone. And as somebody said it before, it really sucks how that car chase/fight scene wasn't filmed.

And since i am fan of Jonathan Lemkin's work, it's nice to finally have this one in my script collection. Here's hoping his rejected Lethal Weapon 4 script from 1993/1994, and his first draft of final 1998 film, will also show up somewhere too.

Fun fact; Lemkin also did a "production rewrite" on Under Siege 2 (he was actually one of at least six writers who worked on that one), but i don't think his draft hit any trading/collecting circles yet.
Gunner

Postby alex.sp89 on 29 Oct 2023, 10:24

This screenshots are also from 95 page script, not the 99 pages one. I have pretty much the same one

SILT OPEN.png
SILT OPEN.png (12.87 KiB) Viewed 10997 times

This is the end page

SILT CLOSE.png
SILT CLOSE.png (72.11 KiB) Viewed 10995 times
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 29 Oct 2023, 10:34

Gunner wrote:Question, Jox; Is that draft also 99 pages long? I'm asking because i do have it too, but i read elsewhere how the official shooting script had these same credits and date, but it was 95 pages long. Probably just a difference in writing format, like with those two Steven Sharon drafts.

That is the 95-page draft which is the one I have.

It could be that the difference with the 99-page one is just that it's formatted differently and is likely the case. BUT I often take script cover pages with a pinch of salt because they're not always accurate and updated so the date and author(s) of the draft can be wrong...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 29 Oct 2023, 10:49

Deleted car chase and fight pages from the script
SILT CHASE 1.png
SILT CHASE 1.png (89.22 KiB) Viewed 10994 times

SILT CHASE 2.png
SILT CHASE 2.png (80.04 KiB) Viewed 10994 times

SILT CHASE 3.png
SILT CHASE 3.png (97 KiB) Viewed 10994 times

The last page
SILT CHASE 4.png
SILT CHASE 4.png (118.32 KiB) Viewed 10990 times

This chase and fight was really cool. I am sure many will like it to see it on big screen screen (if it was filmed). A full 10 minutes of action in the middle of the movie (jap. bath scene + car chase + fight at the sport store)- strong second act. I asked myself many times why it was never filmed ? Just recently i was listening Scott Adkins podcast with Jeff Speakman. Adkins asked him why after strong THE PERFECT WEAPON, in his next movie THE STREET KNIGHT there is so little action and fights into the movie. Speakman explained that budget was only 4 millions in SK ( comparing to 14-15 mil. in The Perfect Weapon), 2 MILLIONS WENT TO THE CHASE AND 2 WEEKS OF SHOOTING and 2 millions left for the rest of the movie. This made me think SILT producers felt that this chase may suck 2 millions plus another 2-3 weeks of shooting and was decided to delete it. Also chases are really hard to shoot especially in LA during the day, city hall permissions and stuff...
alex.sp89

Postby Gunner on 29 Oct 2023, 22:20

Jox wrote:
Gunner wrote:Question, Jox; Is that draft also 99 pages long? I'm asking because i do have it too, but i read elsewhere how the official shooting script had these same credits and date, but it was 95 pages long. Probably just a difference in writing format, like with those two Steven Sharon drafts.

It could be that the difference with the 99-page one is just that it's formatted differently and is likely the case. BUT I often take script cover pages with a pinch of salt because they're not always accurate and updated so the date and author(s) of the draft can be wrong...

Thanks for answering my question and yeah, that's true. I've seen few scripts, which were listed as same draft, same date and all, but comparing the both, there would always be some difference. Like for example, i have two drafts of Shane Black's second draft of Lethal Weapon, each in different format, but even despite that, i remember how one had at least couple differences from other. So yeah, the cover pages are not always true.
Gunner

Postby Gunner on 29 Oct 2023, 22:39

alex.sp89 wrote:This chase and fight was really cool. I am sure many will like it to see it on big screen screen (if it was filmed). A full 10 minutes of action in the middle of the movie (jap. bath scene + car chase + fight at the sport store)- strong second act. I asked myself many times why it was never filmed ? Just recently i was listening Scott Adkins podcast with Jeff Speakman. Adkins asked him why after strong THE PERFECT WEAPON, in his next movie THE STREET KNIGHT there is so little action and fights into the movie. Speakman explained that budget was only 4 millions in SK ( comparing to 14-15 mil. in The Perfect Weapon), 2 MILLIONS WENT TO THE CHASE AND 2 WEEKS OF SHOOTING and 2 millions left for the rest of the movie. This made me think SILT producers felt that this chase may suck 2 millions plus another 2-3 weeks of shooting and was decided to delete it. Also chases are really hard to shoot especially in LA during the day, city hall permissions and stuff...

I did heard that before about how Street Knight was originally going to have more action, but then it had to be changed due to budget. Would be interesting to read original script for that one, but scripts for lot of those low budget type of films don't really show up anywhere. It's no surprise that action scenes had to be changed for budgetary reasons when it comes to films like Street Knight, but it's also bad when big studio-big budget films also have to be scaled down for same reasons. Like for example;

Original spec for Under Siege (1992) ended with big shootout between Ryback and last of the mercenaries, and even longer fight between him and Strannix, while battleship is sinking. Apparently, the film would need $100 million budget (in early 90's) just due to all action scenes in that spec.

And ones which always come to my mind are original scripts for first two Lethal Weapon films, which both had to be heavily changed, and one of the reasons was how budget for all the action scenes would be too big. Original 1985 spec for first film ended with insane chase scene which included trailer truck full of weapons and heroin crashing through police roadblocks and vehicles, police helicopter getting shot down with rocket launcher and crashing into Hollywood sign, and massive explosion of the same truck. And original script for second film had even crazier finale, including battle at the burning hills and stilt house crashing down the hills in flames, and plane full of cocaine exploding over L.A., and cocaine snowing over the city on Christmas night.
Gunner

Postby Jox on 30 Oct 2023, 20:10

Gunner wrote:
Jox wrote:

Thanks for answering my question and yeah, that's true. I've seen few scripts, which were listed as same draft, same date and all, but comparing the both, there would always be some difference. Like for example, i have two drafts of Shane Black's second draft of Lethal Weapon, each in different format, but even despite that, i remember how one had at least couple differences from other. So yeah, the cover pages are not always true.

The thing I realized is that it's all the same draft (not even a different formatting):
the 99-page one has 99 "sheets" but is numbered a bit differently so it ends at page "95"... because as with other screenplays you have a few pages that will be called 10 and 10A, 43 and 43A etc, so that adds up to the exact page count...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 01 Nov 2023, 10:52

Oh, man starting bid 450 $ for SILT script on ebay :D . U better buy this on SCRIPTFLY for 20-25 dollars. Site is legit I bought myself many times, just check spam folder (if u buy pdf)on your email, because they do not show up on income box for certain reason.

I am more interested in this 4th draft of MARKED FOR DEATH , SHOOTING SCRIPT. I own the SCREWFACE one from 1989, which is way too different from final version..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304362757042?h ... BMmvWpnfFi

PS . Gunner Lerhal Weapon movies have tons of scripts and alternate unused scenes. LW 1 ALTERNATE OPENING AND ENDING SCENES. LW 2 ENDING WHERE RIGGS DIES, RICA IS ALIVE IN ANOTHER ONE... Recently I rewatched the series and ending fight between BUSEY and GIBSON is so bad choreographed and shot (well in 1986 there was no Van DAMME OR SEAGAL yet) it aged really bad (this fight). LW2 is a much better movie in my opinion...
alex.sp89

Postby Gunner on 04 Nov 2023, 17:15

Oh, man starting bid 450 $ for SILT script on ebay :D . U better buy this on SCRIPTFLY for 20-25 dollars. Site is legit I bought myself many times, just check spam folder (if u buy pdf)on your email, because they do not show up on income box for certain reason.

I am more interested in this 4th draft of MARKED FOR DEATH , SHOOTING SCRIPT. I own the SCREWFACE one from 1989, which is way too different from final version..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304362757042?h ... BMmvWpnfFi

Maybe you're right Alex, it could have some parts that were cut from the film. I know it had some scenes deleted, and the violence was cut down for R rating. If you look at the trailers for the film, they do show some scenes which are not in the film, including alternate shots of couple action scenes. And i know that Danielle Harris had more scenes which showed her character in the hospital and all, but those were also cut.

Original Screwface draft is very different, but still a good script on its own. And it's always funny reading that and first draft of Under Siege, and see how in both scripts the main character gets very badly injured, but of course, Seagal would always rewrite the scripts to make himself look like he either can't be hurt, or just ignores his injuries, no matter how bad those are :)

PS . Gunner Lerhal Weapon movies have tons of scripts and alternate unused scenes. LW 1 ALTERNATE OPENING AND ENDING SCENES. LW 2 ENDING WHERE RIGGS DIES, RICA IS ALIVE IN ANOTHER ONE... Recently I rewatched the series and ending fight between BUSEY and GIBSON is so bad choreographed and shot (well in 1986 there was no Van DAMME OR SEAGAL yet) it aged really bad (this fight). LW2 is a much better movie in my opinion...

I do like that fight scene, but yeah it's not as good as anything like Van Damme, Seagal or Lundgren would probably do with it. I always wished they just went with the original version of the final fight scene from Shane Black's script, it's was shorter, but far more brutal. For anyone reading this, here you go, the original fight scene is at page 111;

https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpres ... weapon.pdf

And yes, all four films had LOT of different scripts, and i did read lot of those, including couple unproduced or rejected sequel scripts. Unfortunately, while we did get lucky few years back and found Shane Black's original 1985 spec, we are still missing some of the ones which would have been most interesting to read; Jeffrey Boam's rejected "neo-nazi survivalists" version of Lethal Weapon 4, his first draft of Lethal Weapon 3 (in which Lorna Cole was a male character and Riggs had an affair with Rianne), and of course, Shane Black and Warren Murphy's Play Dirty. Speaking of script selling sites and high prices, if that bad boy ever shows up anywhere for sale? I guarantee you that no matter how expensive it would be, there are more than a few collectors who would gladly pay any price just to finally get that one.
Gunner

Postby alex.sp89 on 04 Nov 2023, 22:18

U are right Gunner Marked For Death was about 13-15 minutes longer before re-editing in very late phase of post production ( closer to premiere date in October of 1990) Even score was changed in some parts , because official score was released a month before film premiere and some themes from OST are absent in theatrical cut - final version. Today if u rewatch it is very choppy in parts. Basically they delete Tito Barco, rival drug lord, subplot who faked his death sending a double at the bar (who looked similar to him) and hired the witch. I think i wrote about this on page 17-18 on SILT forum thread... and Car chase and fight is very similar to deleted one from SILT script. Even Jox said that SILT was aimed to be similar to Seagal early movies, who was first offered the role of Chris Kenner.
Marked for Death , Shooting script price went down in recent year, because when it appeared for the first time 2.5 years ago on different site price was about 5 hundreds... today is 1 hundred

Anyway this rare Mexican trailer shows ever more deleted scenes from Marked for Death (1990). I wish a workprint to resurface some day on net to see the original movie in integral form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCvz9Q ... avidspider
alex.sp89

Postby Gunner on 05 Nov 2023, 01:06

Wow, thanks for the info, and especially for sharing the link for that trailer! I know some fans already thought how Joanna Pacula's character had more scenes which were cut, and looks like it is true. And good thing that Seagal refused to star in Showdown, i think the film works lot better with Lundgren and Lee.

I know we talked about this before, but Seagal's films always got re-edited in post production for one reason or another. I think we both mentioned on this thread how Out For Justice was like over 30 minutes longer, but i also always heard how The Glimmer Man had like 20 minutes cut out of it, and if you look up the script for Hard To Kill... They sure did cut that one up too, specially original ending. But let me tell you Alex, one i think got it the worst was Fire Down Below. Seriously, Warner Bros made lot of mistakes in 90's, but giving a Seagal movie a $60 million budget, and then deleting several big action sequences from it?

Like one or two extra chase scenes it had, gas station explosion (all shown in trailers)... I mean, look at this, it looks like it's from completely deleted action scene where Seagal is holding some guy, who's covered with toxic waste, on some bridge at night;

https://media.baselineresearch.com/imag ... 4_full.jpg

Collector i knew few years back tried to buy some scripts for Seagal's films from 90's, from some script selling site (can't remember which one), including some which weren't available anywhere else, and those included Jeb Stuart's original spec for Fire Down Below from 1989, and (i think) rewrite by Phillip Morton, but i don't think he ever managed to get those, so unfortunately i never could find out much more about deleted scenes from that film.

I would also love to see workprints of Marked For Death, and all those other Seagal films which had lot of stuff cut out. But looks like we can only count on getting lucky with those scripts we find, specially shooting drafts. In case if you ever get one for Marked For Death and can upload it anywhere online, let me know here, i would like to read it.
Gunner

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2023, 21:09

RIP fight coordinator Pat E. Johnson (THE KARATE KID I-III, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES)...
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235637940/

Pat Johnson, a Revered Martial Arts Choreographer & Esteemed Stuntman, Passed Away at 79
https://www.blackbeltmag.com/post/pat-j ... away-at-79
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 18 Nov 2023, 10:59

Ok Gunner if something shows up i will inform on this forum.

RIP Pat Johnson. This guy is a legend Many movies where he was involved became cult classics. Enter the Dragon, SILT, Mortal Kombat, Karate Kid movies, westerns... Maybe Jox had the opportunity to do an interview with him?!
alex.sp89

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies