UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 17 Feb 2013, 14:54

Jox wrote:We try not to post screen captures, only official still photographs, unless it's for review purposes of a new release. ;)

I'm sorry. :oops: Won't do that ever again...
~ Agent Red is pointless 'n' dumb. But still a better love story than Twilight
~ I'm solely responsible for what I say, not for what ya understand
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 10 Mar 2013, 17:13

Currently I'm thinking 'bout buyin' Universal Soldier finally on blu-ray, but is it true that the US realese has a better picture quality than the UK version?
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question...
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby leigh1975 on 10 Mar 2013, 17:52

No, the picture is pretty much even, but there isn't any of the special features, unlike the US version. Stick with that one...
leigh1975

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 11 Mar 2013, 01:00

leigh1975 wrote:No, the picture is pretty much even, but there isn't any of the special features

Thanks for the info. :D I can live without special features, I don't care much 'bout 'em. :mrgreen:
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby Jox on 29 Mar 2013, 17:08

1992 vintage featurette re-post
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 04 Apr 2013, 20:36

Dunno if anyone's interested but my friend just emailed me that Universal Soldier will be released in Germany on blu-ray too. It's already available for pre-order at amazon http://www.amazon.de/Universal-Soldier-Uncut-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B00BX8P4H2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365096451&sr=8-2&keywords=universal+soldier+blu+ray

'N' here's the article she's read (it's in German unfortunately) http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-news/filme/44232-cliffhanger-und-universal-soldier-blu-ray-discs-ungeschnitten-im-steelbook

As far as I know the uncut version of this amazin' flick's been banned in Germany for over 20 years. 'N' now the uncut version's gettin' a 16 rating. Strange folks...
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby Jox on 04 Apr 2013, 20:43

Isn't it a re-release? I'm pretty sure Kinowelt already put it out on Blu-ray and uncut...

Here is a never-published still:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 04 Apr 2013, 23:38

Jox wrote:Isn't it a re-release? I'm pretty sure Kinowelt already put it out on Blu-ray and uncut...

It's not really a re-release, since the Kinowelt version's only available in Austria 'n' Switzerland, it's banned in Germany. I'm not an expert but they've some pretty strict censorship laws...

The upcoming blu-ray's published by STUDIOCANAL 'n' my friend said it'll be identical with the US version. Plus it's a steelbook edition. :D Maybe I'll buy it, I love steelbook editions. :mrgreen:
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby Jox on 05 Apr 2013, 08:25

Sgt.AndreaScott wrote:It's not really a re-release, since the Kinowelt version's only available in Austria 'n' Switzerland, it's banned in Germany. I'm not an expert but they've some pretty strict censorship laws...

Right. Still, there was a German friendly edition out there (made by German - it's still Kinowelt.de) so with the internet, it's like as if it already existed.

Plus it's a steelbook edition. :D Maybe I'll buy it, I love steelbook editions.
Yep, much better for clean conservation!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 05 Apr 2013, 19:24

I just wanted to post the cover... Damn, seems I'm too slow! :lol:

My friend did some research, so here's the release date (confirmed by Studiocanal) 'n' some specs:
Release date: June 20, 2013

- aspect ratio: 2,35:1
- special features: audio commentary, „Guns, Genes & Fighting Machines“ - making of, „A Tale of Two Titans“ - featurette, behind the scenes, alternative (shitty) endin', trailer
language: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA; German 5.1 DTS-HD MA
subtitles: German

EDIT: the blu-ray has DTS sound! Apparently my friend can't read. :roll:
Sgt.AndreaScott

What is the last movie you watched?

Postby viendammage on 13 May 2013, 08:05

Jox wrote:Very coool.

If you talk to Mr. Emmerich tell him to give me a call, I need to do an interview with him. Seriously he's not the easiest guy to get a hold of...

I got in a question about Universal Soldier but didn't get a chance to tell him to call you, he was whisked away to a green room after the screening.

Emmerich had nothing but good things to say about his experience making Unisol. He had quit the Carolco, Stallone led, Isobar after 9 months. Mario Kassar was impressed with his willingness to walk away and offered him Universal Soldier which was running into pre-production problems. Emmerich asked to keep the general concept and the two stars but discard everything else. Kassar agreed and Emmerich got to work with Dean Devlin to bang out the new story. It had to come in under $20 million even though $7 million had already been spent. Emmerich was all smiles talking about Unisol, how it was first time he was in charge of a big production, everything went smoothly, it was a big success and launched his and Devlin's career.

Check out the rest of the event where they talk about Independence Day, Mars Attacks, White House Down VS Olympus Has Fallen, ID4 part 2 and much more on my bloggy blog.
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

What is the last movie you watched?

Postby Jox on 13 May 2013, 13:16

viendammage wrote: he was whisked away to a green room after the screening.

I bet...!

Emmerich had nothing but good things to say about his experience making Unisol. He had quit the Carolco, Stallone led, Isobar after 9 months. Mario Kassar was impressed with his willingness to walk away and offered him Universal Soldier which was running into pre-production problems. Emmerich asked to keep the general concept and the two stars but discard everything else. Kassar agreed and Emmerich got to work with Dean Devlin to bang out the new story. It had to come in under $20 million even though $7 million had already been spent. Emmerich was all smiles talking about Unisol, how it was first time he was in charge of a big production, everything went smoothly, it was a big success and launched his and Devlin's career.

Sounds better than his two superficial commentaries he did with Devlin (2001 UK + 2004 US special edition) where they're in between a good memory and making fun of it or at least dismissing it like a low budget embarrassment.

Mario Kassar was impressed with his willingness to walk away and offered him Universal Soldier which was running into pre-production problems. Emmerich asked to keep the general concept and the two stars but discard everything else. Kassar agreed and Emmerich got to work with Dean Devlin to bang out the new story. It had to come in under $20 million even though $7 million had already been spent.
I believe neither Carolco, Dolph or Jean-Claude were too happy about the first script and Andrew Davis's approach (who was in pre-production for it during one year). One Emmerich got on board, Devlin wrote a script in a month or two, the production was rolling, to start shooting only a few months later...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 May 2013, 22:21

Is Dolph and JC's scuffle publicity stunt on the red carpet really one of the 10 biggest scandals at a Cannes festival?
http://www.aufeminin.com/culture/festiv ... 54610.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 14 May 2013, 16:18

I remember in the interview with Dolph on the UNIVERSAL SOLDIER Special Edition DVD, Dolph stating that the original script for UniSol was called CRYSTAL KNIGHTS and wasn't so good... Jox, have you seen the original script? Do you have any idea on its story, characters, etc.? How much different is it than the later finished product? I'm now extremely curious...
savagesketch

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies