UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 22 Aug 2004, 12:40

The special edition of "Universal Soldier" will be released on October 19 by Lions Gate Entertainment (who bought Artisan's catalog), it's on pre-order at amazon.com

It should feature:
1) a new behind-the-scenes, making-of piece called "Guns, Genes & Fighting Machines: The Making of 'Universal Soldier' " (about 20-30 minutes)
2) a stunts piece about the movie (about 10-15 minutes)
3) a Van Damme featurette (about 15 minutes)
4) an audio commentary with either the producers (Emmerich and Devlin) or the stars (JCVD and Dolph).
and maybe more...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 22 Aug 2004, 12:43

The cover is good ... and unseen
shooby

Postby Mosquito on 22 Aug 2004, 15:02

Damn! It seems that I have to buy that one just for the specials.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 22 Aug 2004, 16:19

... in condition there is a lot of bonus with dolph, of course
shooby

Postby Dawn on 23 Aug 2004, 19:57

ooooooooh, I gotta have that! That simply kicks ass! :lol: hehe, now, how to explain why I need 2 copies of the movie. haha
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 23 Aug 2004, 20:18

Well, just sell the old copy. That's what I'm going to do. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER™

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on 27 Aug 2004, 18:29

KHURRAM,

The Protagonist of UNIVERSAL SOLDIER™ is LUC DEVREUX, rather than SERGEANT ANDREW SCOTT, who is the Antagonist of the piece, despite being a character who has far more charismatic appeal than the former.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

MOSQUITO,

Receive 100 bonus marks & go to The Top of The Class™! 8)
[url=http://www.malcolmxerxes.com]"...Be seeing you!" MALCOLM XERXES FINNEGAN’S SQUAD™
Image[/url]
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby shooby on 01 Sep 2004, 19:36

Anf for which countries this relesae is going to be release?
shooby

Postby Jox on 09 Sep 2004, 23:52

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 10 Sep 2004, 07:00

Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Dolph and Jean-Claude talk about Universal Soldier

Postby Dawn on 16 Sep 2004, 08:46

Here is an old article from a paper I thought I would throw up:

The Kansas City Star

July 24, 1992
Edition: METROPOLITAN
Section: PREVIEW
Page: H3

Soldiers of (good) fortune Lundgren and Van Damme go beyond brawn as they flex their considerable box-office strength.
Author: BOB STRAUSS; Los Angeles Daily News

The Muscles from Brussels.

The Beefsteak from Stockholm.

Can one movie contain this much Europower and still survive?

That's the question posed by "Universal Soldier," a sci-fi action-adventure in which kickboxing Belgian Jean-Claude Van Damme squares off against big, blond, black belt Dolph Lundgren.

Both brawlers play dead Vietnam veterans who've been rewired into cyborg super-soldiers. Incredibly strong, impervious to pain and utterly faithful to their programmers' electronic commands, the so-called UniSols are America's top-secret anti-terrorist elites.

But when a curious newswoman (Ally Walker) uncovers the high-tech unit's grisly secret, long-dormant memories are triggered inside the sleeping brains of heroic Luc Devreux (Van Damme) and psychotic Andrew Scott (Lundgren). Luc and the woman flee across the Southwest desert with the murderous Scott, in full post-traumatic-stress-syndrome dementia, in hot pursuit.

If the scenario sounds like it owes a bit to "Terminator" and a bit more to "RoboCop," well, it does. And why shouldn't it?

Portraying the humanoid cyborg from the future in "Terminator" made the Mr. Universe of European athlete-actors, Arnold Schwarzenegger, a box-office force to reckon with. And Dutch director Paul Verhoeven began his money-minting Hollywood career with the similarly man-into-machine "RoboCop," a scenario "Soldier's" German director, Roland Emmerich, undoubtedly wishes to emulate.

Besides, playing an electronically revived dead guy helps explain away the allegedly American Luc's pronounced French accent.

"Quite an ascension from `Bloodsport,' right? " the convivial Van Damme asked rhetorically, referring to his 1987 starring debut.

"Ascension - that good? " he then asked an assistant who helps Van Damme through the trickier thickets of English syntax.

Ascension may not be the right word to describe his increasing facility with our language, but it certainly applies to Van Damme's Hollywood experience. While still a teen-ager, he became a European middleweight karate champion and owner of a profitable gym. But he chucked all that to pursue his dream of movie stardom, went to Los Angeles and was promptly reduced to living in his car. After several years of scraping by, Van Damme convinced then-Cannon mogul Menahem Golan to cast him in one of the company's trashy bashfests.

That was "Bloodsport. " A succession of low-budget, low-brainpower fight films followed. "Kickboxer," "Black Eagle," "Cyborg," "Death Warrant," "Lionheart" and "Double Impact" did nothing to advance the art of cinema, but since each made more money than the preceding one, they've done a lot to advance Van Damme to the threshold of action hero superstardom.

Lundgren was also a European karate champion - heavyweight division - but the similarities to Van Damme end there. The 6-foot-3 Swede was on his way to accept a postgraduate Fulbright Fellowship in chemical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology when he stopped to check out the New York acting scene.

Six months later, Sylvester Stallone dragooned him into Drago duty. Playing the brutish Russian boxer in "Rocky IV" made him an overnight sensation. But during the same span of time in which Van Damme's star was rising, Lundgren lumbered through such low-grossing efforts as "Masters of the Universe," "The Punisher," "Red Scorpion" and "Showdown in Little Tokyo. " Despite that, Lundgren exudes confidence (in flawless English, yet) that "Universal Soldier" will be a big boost to his and V an Damme's careers. "Doing a film together was like one plus one equals three," he said. "Hopefully, more than three. Maybe five.

Because putting us together creates something special. " "I think this movie is going to open up more of a mass audience for me," added Van Damme. "People love science fiction in America.

American people, they love gadgets. " And muscular action. Both actor-athletes acknowledge that a friendly competition developed during production. Apparently, there's nothing like sweating together, then pretending to beat the daylights out of each other, to speed up the male-bonding process.

"Jean-Claude's very, very good at what he does," Lundgren said.

"It was fun to work with somebody who is that proficient. Normally, you work with stunt guys or somebody who is just playing the heavy and has to be doubled. But with us, of course, you can do anything.

We can do everything ourselves, and it's really quite a kick on the set. " "Dolph came in with some stuff and I came in with some stuff," Van Damme said, referring to their martial-arts abilities. "We took the best from each of us and put it together. Of course, Dolph's anatomy is different from mine. He's a big, very heavy guy, so he made some very powerful movements as a machine in the movie. He did such a good job, looked so strong and crazy, over-the-board - I liked that. " Althou gh Lundgren plays the stronger character in the movie, he admitted that he has to work harder than the smaller Van Damme to deliver the goods on camera.

"To prepare for a movie, I start an exercise regime about two months before production begins," Lundgren said. "Depending on the movie, I'll either lift weights to bulk up or do more cardiovascular work to slim down. I also go on a high-protein, low-fat diet. That way, I'm in good shape and will still look good in the film, even when we're doing night shoots or the workload is so heavy that I'm too tired to work out that day. " "When I finish a movie," Van Damme countered, "I like to rest for a few weeks. Eat good dinners, do nothing - just to be bad, because your body needs some relaxation. But I train all the rest of the time. To look `cut' in time for a film, it takes me only about a week of training because I'm very hy per. My body takes to it in a snap, very fast. " Both actors hope that they'll eventually be appreciated more for their creative than their physical attributes. Like Schwarzenegger, Van Damme plans to branch out into comedy; unlike Schwarzenegger, the uncommonly cute Van Damme also intends to make headway as a romantic leading man. For his part, Lundgren would like to play more complex characters, people with good and bad impulses who don't easily fall into simplistic hero or villain categories., classical music and painting. "You can go to acting school, but you have to have something inside that expresses yourself.

"In Belgium, I did shows at my school. Comedy, impressions - I've become better and better over the years, but at least I came here with something. There are so many guys in America with good bodies and good skills; you need something special to have a relationship with your audience. I really believe so. " "It's hard for me to generalize, but I don't think society in Europe is as competitive as it is here," Lundgren observed. "A young man in Sweden can be academic, sensitive and artistic and still be an athlete as well. Here, kids sort of have to choose: `Am I gonna be a scholar or a football player? ' And that, maybe, makes you a little more one-dimensional.

"So, when you're older, if someone is looking for a person with athletic ability and enough sensitivity to also act, maybe it's easier to find such people in Europe. It's very tough to be an athlete here - it's so competitive, that's all you have time to do. " Spotlight: Dolph Lundgren Age: 32.

Hometown: Stockholm, Sweden.

Marital status: Single.

Why you don't want to mess with him: He won the European Heavyweight Full-Contact Karate Championship in 1980 and '81 and the Australian heavyweight division title in '82.

Why he's not a dumb jock: Studied chemical engineering, won scholarships to Washington State and Clemson universities and the University of Sydney, and an MIT Fulbright Fellowship.

Why he's an actor instead of a chemical engineer: "If I'd stayed with academics, it would have been a waste of a lot of talent that I was born with. " What he's doing next to prove it: "Joshua Tree," a "High Sierra"-sounding tale of a sympathetic escaped convict's efforts to prove his innocence. "It has that kind of anti-hero feel to it.

That works better for me at this point in my career. " Spotlight: Jean-Claude Van Damme Age: 31.

Hometown: Brussels, Belgium.

Marital status: Married to bodybuilder and fitness expert Gladys Portugues. A 5-year-old son, Kristopher, and a 2-year-old daughter, Bianca.

Why you don't want to mess with him: Won the European Professional Karate Association's middleweight championship while still a teen-ager.

Why he's not a dumb jock: Knows ballet.

Why he's an actor instead of a ballet dancer: "I have lots of passion. I love movies made about relationships and love. I'm very good with comedy, too. You'll see, I'm a funny guy - we'll have to go eat together sometime. " What he's doing next to prove it: An untitled romantic action drama written by Joe Eszterhas ("Basic Instinct"). "It's like a present-day remake of `Shane. ' A love story. I've seen dailies and I look great. The acting is, like, so much better all the time. "

Caption:
CAPTION: Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren in `Universal Soldier'
Photo

Copyright 1992, 1996 The Kansas City Star Co.
Record Number: 108658
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Re: Dolph and Jean-Claude talk about Universal Soldier

Postby shooby on 28 Sep 2004, 12:49

Dawn wrote:Caption:
CAPTION: Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren in `Universal Soldier'
Photo

But where is the photo ?!? :wink:

Apparently they have not the same image of the too actors : good for Van Damme ("The Muscles from Brussels") and bad for dolph ("The Beefsteak from Stockholm"). :evil: :shock: Nevertheless Dolph is more talentuous :wink:
shooby

Postby Dawn on 28 Sep 2004, 16:13

I usually find these newspaper articles in databases. Databases don't keep the pictures, just text. So I don't know what picture went with it. Probably one of the ones that is already on the site.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 28 Sep 2004, 17:35

certainly, but it was a joke (there is an avatar -> :wink: )
shooby

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2004, 11:09

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies