UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby shooby on 14 Oct 2004, 11:37

Is the making of the same of the "old" version ?!?
shooby

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2004, 11:54

No.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Oct 2004, 17:27

The audio commentary is a new one (not the same as on the UK version) featuring Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. It's just too bad Emmerich and Devlin do most of the talking. You don't learn much with it, except that the waitress in the restaurant scene was Dolph's acting coach.

Then we have the 2 new featurettes, edited from interviews conducted this year. One ('Guns, Genes and Fighting Machines", 19 minutes) is about the shooting, the other "Tale of two Titans" (14 minutes) is about the careers of Dolph and Van Damme. Dolph looks much better than Van Damme and talks with his usual modesty. Just too bad they didn't use movie footage from their other movies, nor karate pics I helped them to get, and neither the Cannes Festival footage. They even re-made a cheap CGI animation to look like the Rocky IV boxing gloves punching each other... nice featurette though...

The other interesting special feature is the original ending that was shot and intended...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby I Dig Dolph on 29 Oct 2004, 05:23

hey i have that DVD! it came out like a week ago. it has a french version, audio commentary, interviews with jean claude van damme and dolph, and the making of the movie. it is AWESOME! but i think dolph didnt look very good in the interview....he had long hair and looked very tired!
I Dig Dolph

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2005, 22:35

here's the cover of the French Special Edition of UNIVERSAL SOLDIER that will apparently be released June 6th in a 2 DVD set with almost the same extras as the US Special Edition...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby carrie on 14 Mar 2005, 03:52

jox help im confused, just looked on amazon and sure the release date for unisol special edition IS oct 19 but its oct 19 2004- not 2005, where can i see the new one your on about ??? can you post a link where we can pre-order from amazon- for the pc illiterates ( o.k, just me) thanks.
carrie
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Mar 2005, 04:31

Which one are you reffering to?

The US region 1 was indeed released on october 19, 2004 and the French region 2 will be out on June 6, 2005 according to this article here (no pre-order yet).

(there was also a UK special edition that was released in 2001 and different extras)

http://dvdrama.com/news.php?10862&detailsvotes=
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 May 2005, 07:08

Pour vous, les petits francais, le test de DVDRAMA avec des captures d'ecran

http://dvdrama.com/rw_news-11446-0-universal-soldier-collector-le-test.php

(link to a test of the French Special Edition (the same as the US region 1, except that this one is featured on 2 discs, and has additional extras: a photo gallery and the first teaser trailer, trailer 1, trailer 2 and TV spots... coming out June 6 on amazon.fr for those who have multi-region players...)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 08 Jun 2005, 13:41

the french edition is really good ! the cover is beautiful ( it looks like a great blockbuster ) !! the movie is still very fun !
bomaz

Postby OrbiT^ on 05 Jul 2005, 04:18

Hey, i'm from belgium and so is Jean Claude Van Damme so i must support him, i like Jean Claude Van Damme to but offcourse Dolph is my favorit.
OrbiT^

Universal Soldier R2 France (CE) Glitch?

Postby BrunnenMatt on 15 Aug 2005, 07:38

Finally received my Universal Soldier CE from Amazon.fra last week, and finally got around to watching it over the weekend.

The DVD paused towards the end of the film at 83.35 minutes and would not play pass this, my friend also bought this at the same time and his DVD does the same! My DVD player is a "Marantz" and my friend tried it on his "Sony" and "Pioneer" with the same problem.

Does anybody else own this? and can confirm if this happens on their DVD? would appreciate any feedback regarding this :), maybe a faulty batch might of got out :?:.

Thanks in advance,

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

A Tale of Two Titans

Postby hansson55 on 05 Oct 2005, 02:46

Has anyone seen “A Tale of Two Titans”? And can you tell me about it
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 05 Oct 2005, 04:30

"Tale of Two Titans" is the short documentary that is included on the UNIVERSAL SOLDIER Special Edition DVD. It's pretty good for a DVD special feature. It's mostly an interview with Van Damme and Lundgren (though they're not interviewed together) where they discuss how they got into movies and how they eventually were cast for UNIVERSAL SOLDIER. They both come across pretty well during the interviews.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby shooby on 07 Oct 2005, 12:04

good documentary
shooby

Unisol comic!!

Postby Craigie-Boy on 03 Feb 2006, 03:01

A little treat for those who are interested...
I happened to be browsing through a comic shop the other week and found a little gem...the first issue of a 3-issue comic book mini-series based on the first Universal Soldier movie. The art in it was fairly good, and it was suitably violent, plus it featured a pretty good rendition of Dolph. So I thought I'd pick it up and scan a few pages and put them up here for other fans to see. They're not whole pages, just some select panels focusing on Dolph's character. As I said, the likeness of Dolph is good, but as for Van Damme..........

Surprisingly for a comic adaptation of a movie, it follows the film's plot and script very closely. There are differences of course, but that's to be expected. It's certainly much more faithful than adaptations of, say, the X-Men films...

By the way, this is my frst attempt at posting images on a forum, so if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try again! :)

Craigie-Boy
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies