UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

Postby Jox on 04 Jul 2015, 13:45

Stan Winston School of Character Arts
Super Soldier

In this picture, makeup FX artists Michael Burnett and Jake Garber of Michael Burnett Productions, Inc. prepping actor Ralf Moeller for the aftermaths of the gas station explosion in Universal Soldier (1992).

#MikeBurnettProductions #MakeupEffects #MBP #BehindTheScenes — with Michael Burnett and Jake Garber.

Michael Burnett Productions, Inc.
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (1991)
Shooting in AZ with Ralf Moeller. close-up of Ralf's foam rubber prosthetic wound before we "stapled" it shut.

Michael Burnett
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (1991)
Shooting in AZ with Ralf Moeller. Ralf has a foam rubber prosthetic wound on his left arm and a tattoo color and blood gel wound on his head.
#spfx #universalsoldier #makeupfx #specialmakeupfx

Michael Burnett Productions, Inc.
Almost finished generic burnt soldier dummy for UNIVERSAL SOLDIER. Master mechanic Tim Ralson modeled for the head.
Circa 1991

Michael Burnett
Flash back to 1991.
While handling the makeup effects during the shooting of Universal Soldier I got the chance to be in the film. I was a U.S. Vietnam soldier killed by Dolph Lundgren's character and discovered by Jean-Claude Van Damme as he entered a Vietnam village at the beginning of the film. I wore a bald cap, severed ear foam prosthetic and a wig.

Michael Burnett
The death of Sgt. Andrew Scott.
1991 on location in Arizona. Jake Garber and I apply a chest prosthetic to Dolph Lundgren for the final sequence in the film where Jean-Claude kicks him into a shredder and Dolph gets skewered. Shredder built by the multi-talented Tim Ralston.

#spfx #SPFXmakeup #Prostheticmakeup #unisol #universalsoldier #dolphlundgren

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 04 Jul 2015, 14:57

Nice :D Thanks
bomaz

Postby Jox on 24 Jul 2015, 21:15

Jox wrote:After 2013's steelbook, here is yet another German edition, this time in Mediabook (digibook) to be released July 20th (limited 1,000 units).

It does contain a 16-pages booklet, and as the previous one also features the B-roll behind the scenes footage and the alternate 2001 audio commentary (plus all the U.S. extras).

http://www.amazon.de/Universal-Soldier- ... h+lundgren

Here is a look at it:

The booklet has no text but quite a few photos.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Aug 2015, 18:39

US home video advertising I had never seen
courtesy of Viendammage

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Oct 2015, 09:59

New shots of the upcoming Damtoys 1/6 scale figures:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Nov 2015, 13:00

The DAMTOYS figues may finally be available soon!

Andrew Scott pics
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 945&type=3

Luc Deveraux pics
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 945&type=3
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Dec 2015, 17:37

While JOSHUA TREE/ARMY OF ONE was in the middle of production, Kristian Alfonso attended the UNIVERSAL SOLDIER premiere in Hollywood (July 7, 1992)

http://www.gettyimages.fr/galleries/sea ... rial&sort=

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Jan 2016, 14:23

Used in Australia for home video pomotion, this was first used in the US as one of 8 TV spots
(on the Studio Canal special edition extras)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Jan 2016, 18:41

The ‘Universal Soldier’ Films: A Retrospective
http://www.cityonfire.com/the-universal ... ns-movies/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Feb 2016, 15:28

Second unit director Vic Armstrong in Impact UK, 1993:
http://www.impactonline.co/film/2279-vi ... ew-part-3/

Bey Logan: You worked with him and Dolph on Universal Soldier. Personally, I think you should have got, at least, a co-directing credit on that film, because, apart front the action sequences, there was precious little else…

Vic Armstrong: I got a very nice credit as it was, I must say. They don't normally recognise second units as much.

Bey Logan: Wasn't Andy Davis, who directed Under Siege, meant to direct Universal Soldier?

Vic Armstrong: That's right. I signed up when Andy was doing it. It was a different script completely. Absolutely different. It was called Universal Soldier, but that was about it. It was more of a political thriller, about oppression of the third world, in South America, and about this elite military team coming into a country to take over and help out, and then getting taken over themselves. Andy was still on it while we were shooting Double Impact. We were having meetings about it. I must say I didn't like the script very much, and I told Jean-Claude that. Anyway, Andy Davis left, and Roland Emmerich game onto it, and he brought with him what he described as this modern day Frankenstein type story, and we ended up shooting that.

Bey Logan: I think that that plot, as a structure to contain all these terrific stunt set pieces was great, but what was missing was the heart of the piece, which is where I feel you succeeded while Emmerich failed.

Vic Armstrong It had none at all. That's why I couldn't believe it made the money it did, although Double Impact made more, domestically, in the States, than Universal Soldier did. No, it had no heart at all. I didn't I like the characters, either of them particularly.

Beg Logan: I know I keep asking you to compare and contrast people, but, as someone who's worked with Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren on a couple of projects each, how do they differ in their approach to their work?

Vic Armstrong: They're both tough in that they haven't been in the business long enough to trust their own judgement. That's what gives you confidence. There's a slight insecurity, but, once you win their confidence, they’re both fairly easy to get on with, and I'm fairly easy to get on with, and I can talk through things with people. They're very similar. Not ‘easy', I wouldn't say…

Bey Logan: How were they with each other during the shoot?

Vic Armstrong: Oh, fine. Never any aggravation at all. I thought there would be, to tell you the truth, but there wasn't. They got on together, happy as anything.

Bey Logan: What was the most difficult sequence to shout, stuntwise, in Universal Soldier?

Vic Armstrong: For me, there were two tricky ones: Running down the Hoover Dam, which was pretty spectacular. In the script, they rappel down. Well, I throw up every time I read another rappelling shot! It's been done to death. How can we do this and make it look interesting? So we had these special rigs made and from the early days I thought we'd do it Australian style, with them coming down face first. We took quite a bit of time getting it right but for me that made the sequence. The other scene was the prison bus flipping. It was tricky, because you really had only one bite at it. I had five cameras, and every single camera is used in that sequence. That was a hell of a shot…

Bey Logan: I heard that you had to re-shoot the ending of Universal Soldier. Why was that?

Vic Armstrong: Again, as with Joshua Tree, the ending wasn't big enough compared to what had gone on before. In the original ending, they fight, and Devereaux's mum is killed. It was all outside. Ally (Sheedy) ran away and got blown up. There wasn't any aftermath, except her crawling across the ground, just to prove she was still alive. They had previews, and the audience wanted to see more of a confrontation between Van Damme and Dolph. We went back to where, in the original shot, Dolph throws him into the barn. He picks Jean-Claude up and throws him inside the barn, which was a set we built in a big warehouse. Everything in the barn was new, and the scenes showing that mum and dad were still alive.

Bey Logan: Who was that terrible old codger they got to play Van Damme's father in the film?

Vic Armstrong: You know who that was? I used to call him Lurch! Ron Howard's Dad! I couldn't believe it! I wasn't sure if he was all there… Weird character.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Feb 2016, 23:10

Textless international key art

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Apr 2016, 21:03

In the very informed French magazine of yore Cine-News (March-April 1992), there was a mention that John Milius (CONAN THE BARBARIAN, RED DAWN, writer of APOCALYPSE NOW, DIRTY HARRY) was once supposed to direct UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (before Andrew Davis got attached)...

I couldn't find a confirmation anywhere (the project goes back way before Dolph and JC got attached, back then even one of the original writers wanted to direct it).
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies