MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (Gary Goddard, 1987)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (Gary Goddard, 1987)

Postby Jamesflavell on 06 Feb 2024, 00:00

JuV wrote:I wouldn't call Umbrella a small or niche label anymore. They've been releasing a lot of well known titles with deluxe packaging for a good while now. I believe they even breached out to America last year with some titles.

Yes - very fair point; they really do seem to have entered the mainstream.

I was more making the point that the film is still significant and popular enough, not only to warrant this treatment, but for the marketing to attract such a lot of sustained media attention worldwide.
There was a time when this would have been rather unlikely!
Jamesflavell

Postby Leigh2704 on 08 Feb 2024, 18:11

88 Films in the UK just teased that they're releasing a blu ray.
Leigh2704

Postby Jox on 08 Feb 2024, 20:52

And Sidonis is supposed to do a French release...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 10 Feb 2024, 13:33

Cool, i'll buy this :) Sidonis usually make ok-editions (their Western collection, with interviews with Bertrand Tavernier, is really great).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 28 Feb 2024, 10:48

Small change regarding the upcoming Australian special edition (to which I made a last-minute contribution with a rare and pretty cool asset...)

We are so excited to release Masters of the Universe into the world. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to change the rigid case art. In the spirit of the insurmountable force that is Skeletor, and the iconic performance from Frank Langella, we made this duel front and centre with some seriously cosmic art.

We apologise for any inconvenience and hope that you love the new art as much as us.

Umbrella Team

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Mar 2024, 21:24

We'll know more about the French collector's edition soon (I sure wish I had had the opportunity to do something on it but they didn't even reply to my messages)

But my very rare 35mm teaser trailer will be featured in HD on the upcoming Australian edition 8)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2024, 20:25

Re the French edition, before it gets a standard release, it's launched in a crowdfunding campaign alongside THE BARBARIANS and a book on "Conan-sploitation". Already 80% funded in less than 24 hours...
https://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/motu

Special features aren't locked yet.

By the way, regarding the production of a 4K remaster, at the moment it's held up by various issues notably between Warner who has the domestic US rights, and MGM who owns all the other international rights. And if an international company wanted to take care of it, there are several restrictions that make it almost impossible to recover the costs of such a master and restoration...

One of the goodies avaliable is a sword replica:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Mar 2024, 18:01

I have found an official document that confirms Edward R. Pressman hired David Odell to pen the 1st draft of the script in 1983, before the Filmation cartoon aired...

Pressman comes from a family in the toy business, and that likely helped in making him want to acquire the rights of adapting the toys in film... The Earth plot was his idea too (a reversed "Wizard of Oz" story as he put it). This was and long before Cannon got involved, as Pressman knew he wouldn't be able to secure the biggest budget, which was confirmed when major studios turned the project down one after the other. Unlike the common belief, Cannon green-lighted MOTU for $17.5 million when $15 million was the most that Pressman could find elsewhere.

Then of course it went over-budget but that's another story...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Mar 2024, 22:27

Movie Beastman gets a figure in Mattel Masterverse collection
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/mthxx60_999b

Fall catalogue:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 01 Apr 2024, 16:08

Very short mentions of MOTU's matte paintings at 12mn00 :
bomaz

Postby Jox on 19 Apr 2024, 20:35

Screening May 20 at the American Cinematheque on 35mm!
https://www.americancinematheque.com/no ... e-5-20-24/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 24 Apr 2024, 07:40

French bluray (without any Jox content :( ) is on preorder for a early july release on Fnac and Amazon.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 24 Apr 2024, 15:14

bomaz wrote:(without any Jox content :( )

It's not over yet but sadly very unlikely, given our recent discussions. We have entirely different approaches and I have to set boundaries with these releases otherwise I just get used (had the same thing with a German label planning a DL trifecta of releases, all they want is for me to arrange an interview with the man). Hopefully I'll get to cover "the film that made me" in a future project of my own...

That said, it's worth noting that their crowdfunding campaign (including a book + BARBARIANS) was successful with 295% and 886 pre-orders over a goal of 300...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Apr 2024, 20:17

Mini-comic writer Donald F. Glut and production designer William Stout had these letters pubished in 'Cinefantastique' (December 1987)
https://archive.org/details/cinefantast ... 1/mode/1up

Stout addressing the STAR WARS-like troopers:
Paging darth VADERS TAILOR

There's a question posed in your last MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE article [17:5:41] that I cannot let go unanswered. Underneath the photo of the Grayskull throne room it is asked “But why do all the palace guards wear helmets and costumes that make them look like Darth Vader from STAR WARS?"
Due to the distasteful nature of film politics I cannot give you the full answer; however. I can tell you that both costume designer Julie Weiss and I had nothing to do with those costumes, and in fact heavilly fought and protested their look right up until their final manufacture. Our good taste and desire to he completely original was unfortunately overruled by higher-ups.
I hope that in reviewing MASTERS (and I know this will he difficult) you attempt to see the film without the prejudice that has colored many perceptions of it. Put simply. it's "How dare anyone be so crass and shallow as to make a film based upon a toy?" That is understandable. I turned down the film several times over a period of four years because of that prejudice. It was director Gary Goddard who changed my mind with his vision of a film that would hopefully leave the triviality of the toys in the dust. I hope you judge MASTERS on its merits as a film, not as a toy by-product. A $25 million toy commercial was never our intention.

William Stout Production Designer

Glut on writing the initial mini-comics:
All those who ‘'CREATED" MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, LINE UP HERE

This should sound like sour grapes. Since I'm reaping no financial reward from my involvement in the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE "phenomenon," I feel that I. at the very least, deserve some credit. In 1979 or 1980 I was approached by Western Publishing Company (owned by Mattel Toys) to write stories for five booklets to be included with various toys in their new line (later to be called “Masters of the Universe"). For reference, I was given Polaroid shots of the prototype toys, some still unnamed. I his was all "work for hire," meaning that the creator is paid a one-time flat fee. while the company retains all rights to what is created. The project became less appealing when Western Mattel began to ask lor characters to be named and given origins and backgrounds.
Having just finished the novelization of THE EMPIRES STRIKES BACK. I didn't need the credit or money for this assignment, but took it anyway, mainly because my Western editor was a friend who needed someone reliable to get the job done satisfactory and on schedule. At least I was assured that I would receive a writing credit on the booklets, though, when published, the booklets were without a byline.
Some of the names were already there, including “He-Man."“Beastman."and "Man-at-Arms.""Eternia" was mine and required about ten seconds of thought. As the castle looked gray, not green, on the Polaroid photos. I named it "Castle Grayskull"after my then wife, whose maiden name was Linda Gray. "Teela." for anyone recalling the old SMILIN' ED'S AN¬ DY'S GANG TV show, was named after a pachyderm. (Remember the stories of "Gunga Ram" and his great bull elephant "Teela"?) "Mer-Man" was my name, also. The title of one of the booklets. “Battle in the Clouds." was that of an old silent SF movie for which I had a fondness.
Interestingly. Teela originated because I wanted a female figure. Then someone at Mattel saw the possibilities in making a Teela toy and recycling the same mold for additional female characters. I remember facetiously suggesting that one of these characters be patterned after He-Man. named "She-Man" (hardly more ridiculous a name than “He-Man"), but my joke was not well received. Apparently Western Mattel took these characters a lot more seriouslv than I did.

Don Glut Burbank. CA 91504
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies