MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (Gary Goddard, 1987)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (Gary Goddard, 1987)

Postby ShawnWatson on 19 Jul 2017, 00:54

There's a 139-minute workprint version of this movie?
ShawnWatson

Postby Jox on 20 Jul 2017, 10:21

The first "assembly" cut reportedly ran about that time 137-139 minutes (which is not a surprising running time for an assembly, ROCKY IV did too), but I have not heard of any workprint copy still being around...

Super7 (formerly MattyCollector) announces an official figure of Karg at SDCC.
The figure is based on the likeness of his official MOTU magazine appearance more than the movie

Jox
Site Admin

Postby ShawnWatson on 30 Jul 2017, 03:30

I know the score has had forty million releases already but I have the old Varese Sarabande release on my wishlist and since I like making new cover art for older soundtracks I made this.

ShawnWatson

Postby Jox on 07 Aug 2017, 12:01

Happy 30th Anniversary to the one and only MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, released in the U.S. on this day of 1987!

It really was the "STAR WARS of the 80's" and without it I wouldn't be there and my life might have turned out a lot differently...

(this is an Australian ad though)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 07 Aug 2017, 18:16

Even Imdb is celebrating it on its Twitter.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 08 Aug 2017, 11:01

As well as Entertainment Weekly and Hollywood Reporter!
Masters of the Universe Turns 30: Tales from the Set of the He-Man Movie
http://ew.com/movies/masters-of-the-uni ... -turns-30/

'Masters of the Universe': Dolph Lundgren Had Only 3 Chances to Nail the Dialogue
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ue-1027266
(I think Goddard forgot they dubbed him for a few lines of dialogue which are clearly not from Dolph's voice)

WATCH: A LOOK BACK AT MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (1987)
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/watch-a-lo ... verse-1987
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Aug 2017, 23:16

MOTU Month: Interviewing Gary Goddard!
http://www.horrormoviebbq.com/2017/08/m ... ddard.html

-How Gary got involved with Mattel
-Gary's contributions to Candyland
-Working at Disney
-How Captain Power came about
-Becoming a part of the making of Masters of the Universe: The Motion Picture
-Production
-Character design
-What character's DIDN'T make the movie.
-What characters Gary pushed for.
-The famous after credit sequence.
-Gwildor/Orko
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Aug 2017, 18:25

Awfully Good: Masters of the Universe
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/awfully ... rse-614-02
There was a shrinking budget that completely ran out during production

The budget wasn't "shrinking" since it went from $17,5 million to $20-22 million. That said, Cannon did pull the plug and shut down the production as some point, but it was way over schedule as well... Warner Bros didn't even want to make the film for more than $15 million so that's how it went to Cannon who was the only studio who would green light it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Aug 2017, 10:47

MOTU video game: ZX Spectrum, the Commodore 64 and Amstrad

Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 10 Aug 2017, 17:25

Jox wrote:Awfully Good: Masters of the Universe
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/awfully ... rse-614-02
There was a shrinking budget that completely ran out during production

The budget wasn't "shrinking" since it went from $17,5 million to $20-22 million. That said, Cannon did pull the plug and shut down the production as some point, but it was way over schedule as well... Warner Bros didn't even want to make the film for more than $15 million so that's how it went to Cannon who was the only studio who would green light it.

But Warner has distributional attachment, right? Cuz i have noticed their logo in the film.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 10 Aug 2017, 17:28

Later they licensed the home video distribution rights for the U.S. and other territories from Cannon, but Warner had nothing to do with the production or the financing of the film.

EDIT:
At Alamo Drafthouse's DC screening last night

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Aug 2017, 12:43

Attending Power-Con 2017
http://www.thepower-con.com/guest-list/

Friday, September 8:

10:30pm – 11:00pm – Finding Frank Langella
Roast Gooble Dinner’s own Rob Base sets out on a comedic journey to meet and talk with Frank Langella (Skeletor) for the 30th Anniversary of Masters of the Universe film. Follow him and his friends as they attempt to get the elusive actor to open up about his most iconic role.

Saturday, September 9:

10:30am – 12:30pm – 1987 He-Man Movie Live Commentary
Join members from the cast and crew of the 1987 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe film, as they offer up a live commentary about the movie. Relive memories and discover things you never knew about before.
Featuring: Anthony De Longis, Chelsea Field, Meg Foster, Gary Goddard, William Stout
Moderator: Duvien Ho (a.k.a. Viendammage)

9:30pm – 11:30pm – ‘Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe’ Documentary
Come watch the reveal of this latest documentary from FauxPop media that digs into the rich history of what has become one of the most beloved and enduring pop culture icons for millions of fans worldwide. You won’t want to miss this one!

Sunday, September 10:

2:30pm – 4:30pm – The Power of the Whip! A Weapons and Combat Showcase with Anthony De Longis
Blade from the 1987 He-Man movie was no showboat. Those swordsman skills are real! Come witness his talent first-hand as Anthony De Longis and his wife Mary show you what it takes to be a true Man-At-Arms with a live weapons demonstration.
Featuring: Anthony De Longis, Mary De Longis
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Aug 2017, 15:46

To boil it down to its nuts and bolts, Masters of the Universe is Bill Conti’s Star Wars: a fully orchestral space adventure overflowing with memorable character themes and rambunctious action sequences. It was recorded mostly in Germany by the Graunke Orchestra of Munich under the baton of Harry Rabinowitz, but parts of it had to be completed piecemeal by other orchestras and other conductors in London and Budapest when it became apparent that the German orchestra simply couldn’t handle Conti’s massive blood-and-thunder score; the final soundtrack is a Frankenstein score which Conti and his mixer Dan Wallin spliced together from multiple different takes.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/08/24/mast ... ill-conti/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Aug 2017, 10:49

Donald F. Glut who wrote the original mini-comics sold with the first toys:
I came up with the name of Eternia. Since this was a kind of "eternal" realm, it just seemed natural and logical. The name just popped into my head without a lot of thought.
The Power Sword was a sort of homage to the various "Power Stone" stories in the 1940s Superman comic books.
There's a somewhat interesting story behind the name Grayskull. In the Polaroid's, at least, the prototype of the castle looked gray, not its true green. At the time I was married to a girl named Linda whose maiden name was Gray. As I was not going to get any byline credit for writing these stories, I thought I'd put in some in joke references that friends of mine in the know might spot. Hence, the castle became Castle Grayskull. (Ironically, Linda and I split up between my writing of these stories and the actual release of the toy for which she was named.)

http://donaldfglut.com/MOUinterview.html
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies