MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (Gary Goddard, 1987)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mosquito on 10 Jun 2007, 12:34

No, sorry, I don't know about an RC free Dark Angel DVD. I've checked http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=film&fid=197

The OFDB (Online Film Datenbank) is a good place to check for versions (as long as you manage to understand the page, because it is in German). The scissors icon next to a version means that it is cut, others are uncut or the reviewer is not sure.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Jun 2007, 15:38

You can regularly find bootleg region free or region 1 DVDs of "Dark Angel / I Come In Peace" on ebay... but there's no reason why they wouldn't officially make one at some point... I didn't mean to open a discussion about which DVDs or special editions we're in need for...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Aug 2007, 22:20

Just realized yesterday was the 20th anniversary of MOTU's theatrical release in the US!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 09 Aug 2007, 09:43

cool! I guess it's not an excuse to watch it again? :)
Rover

Postby Dawn on 09 Aug 2007, 10:21

Mosquito wrote:RC free means that it plays on every DVD player, no matter what region (IMHO). So no consumer vexatiousness at all.

Not necessarily the case in the U.S., each player is locked to region 1. Many DVD players here will detect they are not region 1 and will refuse to play them. If a person is savy and knows they can search online for a code to make the region free disc play, then they can find it and punch in the code to make it play. However, I have found you have to do this each time you want to play it. My region-free discs absolutely will not play until I do this.

Most people in the U.S. aren't going to go through the hassle.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 10 Aug 2007, 13:30

Dawn wrote:
Mosquito wrote:RC free means that it plays on every DVD player, no matter what region (IMHO). So no consumer vexatiousness at all.

Not necessarily the case in the U.S., each player is locked to region 1. Many DVD players here will detect they are not region 1 and will refuse to play them.

GNAAAAA!!! What about Freedom of Information? You guys sue about everything. Please sue the industry for this! OMG! What about consumer rights? Really, this RC thing upsets me every time I read about it.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 11 Aug 2007, 01:57

Mosquito wrote:
Dawn wrote:

Not necessarily the case in the U.S., each player is locked to region 1. Many DVD players here will detect they are not region 1 and will refuse to play them.

GNAAAAA!!! What about Freedom of Information? You guys sue about everything. Please sue the industry for this! OMG! What about consumer rights? Really, this RC thing upsets me every time I read about it.

Freedom of Information Act does not apply. Fair Use would, but fair use can only be argued for educational purposes in most cases. As for a sue-happy society, most cases are sued by personal injury lawyers going for an easy win. Nothing that actually matters gets tried. The MPAA and RIAA are trying to take the last rights we have away governing what we do with DVDs and CDs after we buy them. I'm sure they are padding the government's pocket, either way the gov't here doesn't care. They want to make sure the Industry makes money. If affects our civil liberties in the process, too bad. This country is run on money and the state of California is dependent on Hollywood making money. They don't seem to understand that the reason they are losing more money year after year, is not because tons of people are stealing movies, but because people have nice enough home theatre setups, they don't need/want to go to the theater for the price they charge. The MPAA is now trying to revise legislation making it illegal for us to even backup a DVD that you already own. Its nuts.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE videogame adaptation (1987)

Postby Jox on 05 Sep 2007, 14:07

From Gremlins Graphics

They probably had a deal with Cannon because they even had a "Death Wish 3" game!

http://gremlinworld.emuunlim.com/spectrum.htm

http://gremlinworld.emuunlim.com/spectrum/mastersoftheuniversethemovie.zip

Last edited by Jox on 12 Nov 2008, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 05 Sep 2007, 21:30

Switchblade! Rocky! Basil the detective! Hero Quest!
Jox, you made my day :lol:
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Jox on 05 Sep 2007, 21:47

Glad to hear.
If you know how to work it out you're a genius though because all I have is a .tap file and no idea what to do with it...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 06 Sep 2007, 10:32

A genius, really? Tell me, would a genius waste his incredible skills playing a MOTU game? :roll:

You need an emulator to play this game, go to this website: http://jswremakes.emuunlim.com/Mmt/emuhelp.htm and download the one called "Euphoric"
Then you extract it, you put the game (HEMAN.TAP) into the folder called "Tapes"
You launch Euphoric (click on euphoric.exe)
If everything works well, you should have an ugly white and black screen...here you type CLOAD"HEMAN" (just the same, keep the " , and be careful, your keyboard will be in qwerty)
then you hit enter, and the game should load :)
Now you're lucky if it works fine because these emulators don't work everytime, it get even worst if you have windows XP
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Dawn on 06 Sep 2007, 14:50

I have the MIME emulator, do you think this should play it? I really don't want to download another emulator. Was this MOTU game the one that was on Atari or was it on arcade? I never saw an arcade MOTU. That would be a cool collectable.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 06 Sep 2007, 20:52

I don't know this MIME emulator, the best way to know is to try to run the game ^^
And it is not the arcade game, it's a sort of err, computer game, or maybe a console one, I can't make the difference when it is so old :)
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2007, 21:46

German dubbed, kinda cracked me up
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 24 Nov 2007, 12:44

SPOILER WARNING
For the non-scandinavians (there might be a few) a translation
The first trailer (the danish one) is an ironic one where they dubbed it as a joke.

Dolph says: "I have the power!" (In a mock swedish accent)
Skeletor says: "Watch out with that sword it´s got 10.000 volts running through it! Just look what it did to your hair!"
Dolph: "Danish devil (="Fucking Dane")! My hair is PERFECT!"

Then the presenter goes: "See Dolph Lundgren, one of the greatest acting talents of our time, in the masterpiece Masters of the Universe!"

The "hair joke" might be interesting for Swedes to learn about. "The Mullet" or the "Hockey Do" (where you´ve got short hair on top and long in the back) was called "Svensker-hår" or "Swedish hairdo" in Danish when it surfaced in the eighties. My danish ex-girlfriend and her mother mocked me for this one time and I defended myself by reminding them that we imported it from the States. We didn´t invent the Mullet.

These days the Mullet is very rare in Sweden and can almost exclusively be seen on young hipsters as an ironic "retro hairdo".

The second trailer, the german one, is a cutting together of the official dubbing of the movie, right?
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies