RED SCORPION (Joseph Zito, 1988)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mosquito on 12 Aug 2012, 21:00

Actually I was a bit disappointed because I guess I had expected a remastered video. It's as grainy as the DVD. For Bluray I expect a crisp and fresh picture. But it's still worth the money because of all the extras.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Re: RED SCORPION (Joseph Zito, 1988)

Postby Jox on 12 Aug 2012, 21:25

Come on Mosquito, you're smarter than that!

It's a 23 year-old FILM that was quite grainy to begin with (especially the dark scenes), even when you saw it in the theater back then, and it probably wasn't stored and taken care of properly either, which makes good restoration harder and I don't think they an internegative left to work with they had to do it with a used print. To get a grainless disc, they would have had to use a LOT of DNR or similar noise and grain reduction technique which would have altered the film as it was shot! (You don't want the George Lucas/STAR WARS special edition treatment do you?)

Synapse spent a year restoring the film and used the best company out there to make it look the best possible, I don't think you could have topped that without going into "plastic surgery" altering the film because loosing too much grain or noise (which isn't the same by the way) makes loose other things. Because you've seen old films looking sharp or grainless doesn't mean it's always possible or that it's a good thing (like it's so much that it's a cheat to the audience because that's the movie anymore).

By the way pop in the DVD to check, I don't think there's any comparison! And sorry I got on my horse, but reading that made me jump to the roof. ;)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Gieferg on 12 Aug 2012, 23:50

It's as grainy as the DVD. For Bluray I expect a crisp and fresh picture.

errr...what? Crisp and clean? Like, for example, latest "Ultimate waxy edition" of Predator? Movies like Red Scorpion (or Predator) are supposed to have grain. Without it, they would lost they cinematic feel.
Gieferg

Postby Lt. Brannigan on 13 Aug 2012, 02:00

Personally, I am glad the blu-ray kept the grain and didn't overdo the scrubbing. The grain only adds to the feel of the film. From what I can tell, is that this release far outdoes my old Key DVD copy, making the blu seem as though the original film elements were delivered to my door.
Lt. Brannigan

Postby Jox on 13 Aug 2012, 10:27

The packaging states that it is a brand new 2K transfer and it sure looks the part. There is no noticeable edge enhancement, artifacting or other ugly business on screen. I have owned this one twice, on VHS and DVD and this is by far (and obviously) the best I've ever seen it look. My guess is that the only way this could possibly look better is if you're lucky enough to set your eyes on a 35mm print, and something tells me that isn't as likely to happen as I want it to be.

http://geeknewwave.com/article/sun-0812 ... ray-review
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 14 Aug 2012, 10:49

Uh oh, sorry that I've apparently stepped on a few toes. ;-) It's a matter of personal taste I guess. Jox, I hate it when directors replace guns with lamps in a new edition ("Nooooooo!") but I remember how my jaw dropped when I saw the remastered edition of Star Trek TOS. Crispy clear like it had just been filmed in the best possible quality. And I had expected something like that for Red Scorpion because of all the hype. Every drop of sweat on Dolph's well oiled chest looking like I could wipe it from the screen.
I'll compare the UK DVD with the Bluray and then come back to report. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Aug 2012, 11:59

Did somebody get the DVD version from Arrow?
I'd like to get confirmation if the commentary is included because it's not mentioned here (only the DL interview and booklet):

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?t ... 0&art_id=5

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Gieferg on 27 Aug 2012, 02:09

I've just got Synapse blu-ray+DVD combo pack. I've put a disk into a player, then movie started and I said to myself - yeah, that's a BIG improvement over my old DVD, that looks really good. Then I've realized I was watching DVD instead of blu-ray :D

DVD from this set is as good as it can be, and it's a bit surprising, since for last few years DVDs have become worse and worse PQ-wise. Of course blu-ray is even better :) Can't wait to watch whole movie.
Gieferg

Postby Jox on 16 Sep 2012, 00:48

The trailer in widescreen (as only featured on the Synapse edition)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2012, 20:19

Dutch re-release :mrgreen:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2012, 10:48

http://www.shockingimages.com/modules/s ... temid=1515
Short Version: Great, but forgotten, action film

the film is up there with the best the decade had to offer. Despite playing what is essentially Ivan Drago with guns, Lundgren turns in a good performance here; one well above the genre’s standard. He plays Nikolai as both bad and good guy with equal competency while simultaneously not overshadowing the film’s expected message of Communism=bad, freedom=good. To everyone’s surprise, the lone American character is the least likable – another way in which RED SCORPION diverges from the vast majority of action cinema of the eighties.

Synapse’s combo-pack of the film is an excellent way to finally get it the audience it deserves. They’ve treated RED SCORPION to a superb release that is heavy-laden with special features. Each is worth checking out, but make a point to watch the interview with SFX guru Tom Savini. RED SCORPION is a film that has flown under the radar for years; beloved by action connoisseurs, but largely unseen by the general public. Those days are probably over with this great release from Synapse, and Lundgren’s appearance in THE EXPENDABLES 2 will likely garner additional interest in his early works.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Oct 2012, 21:19

Serbian TV spot
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Nov 2012, 21:31

New Swedish cover for their BD/DVD combo released last year

Jox
Site Admin