RED SCORPION (Joseph Zito, 1988)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RED SCORPION (Joseph Zito, 1988)

Postby Jox on 24 Jun 2012, 10:14

theRhyse007 wrote:Now if only Synapse could grab the rights for I Come In Peace and The Punisher. What an awesome Triple Feature of Badassery that'd be.
That would be too good to be true! :mrgreen:

While the movie is negligible, the Blu-ray is excellent: a terrific new hi-def transfer, new interviews with Lundgren and make-up ace Tom Saviani, on-set footage and a behind-the-scenes featurette.

http://flipsidereviews.blogspot.fr/2012 ... ek-iv.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Jun 2012, 22:13

The bluray transfer is solid and looks better than the VHS’s did back when this movie first arrived. So it’s a great way to revisit this one.

http://horrornews.net/53239/film-review ... pion-1988/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jun 2012, 11:16

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/red-scorpion.html
I have learned one universal truth over my years of DVD and Blu-ray reviewing – Dolph Lundgren is a genuine treasure, not the laughing-stock, sub-Schwarzenegger so many of us remember him as.

Video
Synapse Films, who is currently giving Blue Underground a run for their HD-remaster money (even if their releases aren’t quite as interesting, overall), has pulled out all the stops for this release. This 1080p, 1.85:1 Blu-ray transfer is reportedly a full 2K HD restoration of the uncensored version of the film. It doesn’t sound like the disc’s producers are working from the original negative, but there’s little reason to complain, given these results. The print shows its age a bit in terms of consistent clarity, but, for the most part, looks it like a brand new movie and without much in the way of obvious DNR or other such digital tampering. There is plenty of grain, which increases and decreases depending on brightness, but this all appears natural for 35mm. Artefacts are present in the form of occasional black and white blobs and some shimmer, but compression problems are minor, including some edge-enhancement and slight blocking on some of the brighter reds. Details are really quite sharp throughout, especially in well-lit, close-up, and middle shots. Backgrounds can appear a bit flat, but this appears to be a stylistic choice, and, when it really counts (in the case of a big establishing nature shot), the image remains complex without bleeding or compression effects. Colour quality is natural and clean, aside from the grain, and is well supported by rich black levels. Even the included standard definition DVD with this two disc set is a substantial improvement over most previous DVD releases, which were largely non-anamorphic (only the semi-recent German Splendid Films release was anamorphically enhanced).

Audio
Synapse has also gone all out for this release’s audio presentation in creating an ‘all new’ DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack (though previous DVD releases have featured 5.1 remixes of the original Dolby surround soundtrack in the past). This remix is a bit overdone in terms of LFE enhancement (every gunshot and punch throbs the room like an earthquake for no good reason), but the sound is quite clear for a film this age and separates some of the mushier dialogue, though overall words are still pretty regularly tinny and feature minor overlap issues. The surround and stereo enhancement is mostly delegated to effects obviously added in post, but, outside of maybe a few awkward slices, the directional movement the mix doesn’t appear betray the original intent. This release also includes the original 2.0 surround for the purists in the house presented in uncompressed DTS-HD MA sound, so assumptions on style are pretty easy to infer.

Extras
The story behind the scenes of Red Scorpion is enough to write a book about, starting with alleged financing by the South African Defence Force through the International Freedom Foundation (a right-wing political thinktank co-writer/producer Jack Abramoff helped run). Artists and Athletes Against Apartheid then condemned the production for breaking the international boycott against South Africa and a series of stalls left the cast and crew sitting in Johannesburg with nothing to do for months as the budget ballooned in size. Abramoff also later claimed that the film’s relatively high levels of violence and profanity were all director Zito’s fault. This sordid story is partially told first in this disc’s audio commentary, which features director Zito and moderator/mondodigital.com guru Nathaniel Thompson. Zito is usually a good commentary participant (or at least was on the Blue Underground Prowler track) and works especially well with a secondary commentator, especially one as prepared and ready to ‘guide’ as Thompson (I wouldn’t call Thompson an idol, exactly, but he’s definitely among the internet critics that have inspired me as a writer, and deserves some big credit for his contributions). Part of me wishes Zito was a little more sensationalistic about the behind the scenes strife, but there appears to be no real bad blood between him and Abramoff. I’m also impressed by how much Zito remembers, considering his claim that he hasn’t seen the film in over a decade.

Next up is Hath No Fury: Dolph Lundgren and the Road to Red Scorpion (24:50, HD), a solid, delightfully honest interview with the film’s star, who runs down his education as a chemical engineer, his time as Grace Jones’ bodyguard-turned-boyfriend and his early film career leading up to Red Scorpion. Lundgren discusses his Red Scorpion character as a Joseph Campbell hero with a Frankenstein complex (which is way more credit than the script deserves) then starts in on the huge production issues with a polite face. Assignment: Africa (13:30, HD) is a new video interview with producer Abramoff, who is, disappointingly, not the massive personality you’d hoped he was based on the behind the scenes strife. Here, he follows basically the same story, but covers it from his personal and political slant. There’s also a very brief mention of the under-seen Red Scorpion 2. Scorpion Tales (10:10, HD) features generally under-utilized make-up effects artist Tom Savini discussing his time on the film, complete with footage from his personal home movies and a couple of unused effects. The disc ends with Savini’s uninterrupted video footage (9:10, SD), a still gallery, a trailer and TV spots.

Overall
I wasn’t entirely won over by the limited charms of Red Scorpion, but can appreciate Joseph Zito’s strong action direction and Dolph Lundgren’s understated performance. What’s more important here is that Synapse has really gone all-out with this special edition Blu-ray release. The 2K video restoration is clean and colourful without any signs of heavy digital tampering, the new DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is a bit heavy handed at times, but generally quite clean, and the extras include a solid commentary track, three entertaining and informative interviews and a fun collection of behind the scenes footage. I’m really not sure what else a fan could ask for and I highly recommend this release to those that already know what to expect from the film itself.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 25 Jun 2012, 21:51

Jox wrote:
theRhyse007 wrote:Now if only Synapse could grab the rights for I Come In Peace and The Punisher. What an awesome Triple Feature of Badassery that'd be.
That would be too good to be true! :mrgreen:

I vote for Men of War and Army of One. 8)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jun 2012, 22:23

There's one hope for MEN OF WAR with Anchor Bay in the UK (not the US because Miramax has it and licensed with BLACKJACK and HIDDEN ASSASSIN to Echo Bridge for cheapo bargain bin editions) since they released a good uncut DVD a few years back, I'm not sure they'd give the royal treatment but at least a decent Blu-ray.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Jun 2012, 10:09

Synapse has pulled out all the stops on the Blu-ray release of Red Scorpion. It’s actually amazing how many special features a film like this is able to support: audio commentary with the director, interviews with Abramoff and special effects artist Tom Savini, even original behind the scenes footage makes an appearance. Whether you remember Red Scorpion fondly, or just want to know how this kind of movie actually happened, this is the set for you. And the new 2K transfer and 5.1 surround sound mix are spectacular, particularly for the kind of production this was. It looks like you could lick the sweat off of Dolph Lundgren’s pecs, although I’m pretty sure your HDTV manual advises against it.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews ... d-scorpion
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Jun 2012, 16:11

http://www.theaterthoughts.com/?p=3592
The biggest question for “Red Scorpion” fans is how Synapse Films 1.78:1 widescreen 1080p transfer compares to Arrow Films Blu-ray release. Arrow has a solid Blu, but it isn’t even close to the magic of Synapse Films’ 4K restoration. Much as I compared the old and new DVD’s for “Yellow Submarine” (Review HERE), the “Red Scorpion” releases got similar treatment. The differences are evident from the start. Gone are the specs and dirt found in the opening of Arrow’s release. It has been cleaned up and shows a noticeable improvement with what had to have been a painstaking restoration. Even within the sharp detail and bold colors, this release still plays like the badass 35mm print your local theater will probably never play. There is a beautiful grain that will probably get noticed more on larger screens and give “Red Scorpion” that opening weekend look. In fact, I don’t even know if those first run prints could hold up to this disc. It is spectacular.

There are two options on Synapse Films Blu-ray – A DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 track and a DTS-HD lossless Master Audio 2.0 Stereo track. The channels are defined nicely and dialogue levels are solid on both options. The difference really comes down to purists wanting to simulate the theatrical experience versus Blu-ray enthusiasts who want to give their speakers a workout. The additional channels provided in the 5.1 mix boils down to the thump factor. If you want to really feel those explosions – the 5.1 track should be your only option as the subwoofer provides an amazing amount of bass that enhances the “Red Scorpion” experience. No worries though, the additional oomph does not drown out the music or other effects.

An audio commentary with Director Joseph Zito and longtime genre film reviewer Nathaniel Thompson kicks off the special features. The banter is very informative as Thompson prompts Zito with questions from time to time to keep the conversation lively. Zito gets screen specific, but mainly uses the scenes as a catalyst for discussing his involvement with the project and the numerous factoids that pop up as the movie progresses. Zito gets a little animated when discussing M. Emmet Walsh firing a gun, but for the most part the conversation is pretty relaxed. Thompson does a great job taking the backseat and letting Zito shine on the track.

All of the featurettes are single chapter features. With “Hath No Fury – Dolph Lundgren and The Road to Red Scorpion” (24:54), fans will get a fairly lengthy sit down with Dolph who discusses his road to fame. The story is quite interesting, touching on his relationship with Grace Jones, his involvement in the “Rocky” series, “Masters of The Universe,” and naturally “Red Scorpion.” This is a very informative interview. “Assignment: Africa – Video Interview with Jack Abramoff” (13:26) really focuses on pre-production and production issues “Red Scorpion” faced in finding a location to shoot. For those who thought they have heard all of the on-set battles, just wait until Abramoff tells about the potentially deadly obstacles the “Red Scorpion” crew faced.

I knew “Scorpion Tales – Video Interview With Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini” (10:05) would be a blast. Having met Savini in the past, I was aware of how engaging his stories can be. He discusses the torture scene and adds even more perspective to the movie along with his hatred for the food available in Africa. Savini proves that EVERYONE had some sort of military themed scare during the production. The “Rare Original Behind-The-Scenes Video Footage” (9:11) is also linked to Tom Savini as they were shot by the man himself. Naturally the scenes shown are connected to the work Savini did on set. It is cool to be a fly on the wall for some of these fun setups.

Rounding out the disc is a “Motion Still Gallery” (6:57) which goes through numerous domestic and international posters, behind-the-scenes photos, lobby cards and candid shots. The Theatrical Trailer (1:55) is included on the disc along with TV Spots (3:08) for “Red Scorpion.” Housed in the packaging along with a DVD are a Reversible Cover and Liner Notes by Jeremie Damoiseau who provides a quick read with the making of “Red Scorpion.”

Those who have patiently waited for the Synapse Films release will not only be treated to a gem in some fun special features, they will also get THE ultimate release in terms of audio and video quality.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 26 Jun 2012, 21:52

Was the release date pushed back for Red Scorpion? Everywhere I checked today(6-26-12) in the USA said the Blu-ray/DVD combo release is on "back order"! :evil:
Ivan, Jr.

Postby Jox on 27 Jun 2012, 00:50

It hasn't been pushed back but the retailers received them a week prior to release date and a lot of them decided not to ship them until two weeks later. Or on Amazon, they had underestimated the number of orders and couldn't ship them all on time (because YES it seems to sell really well!!!!).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 27 Jun 2012, 01:32

Jox wrote:It hasn't been pushed back but the retailers received them a week prior to release date and a lot of them decided not to ship them until two weeks later. Or on Amazon, they had underestimated the number of orders and couldn't ship them all on time (because YES it seems to sell really well!!!!).

Thanks Jox! It suck that I'll have to wait a couple more weeks for it(most retailers now say available 7-10-12), but it's great to hear the release has such a high interest that they couldn't meet all the pre-order reservations! Dolph really IS "Spes Nas" ! :wink:
Ivan, Jr.

Postby Jox on 27 Jun 2012, 01:34

I know how it feels, even I didn't get the chance to hold it in my hands yet... ;)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 27 Jun 2012, 08:38

It'll be well worth the wait. Great transfer, insightful liner notes, terrific extras. As good as it gets when it comes to releases of semi-obscure films.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby theRhyse007 on 28 Jun 2012, 04:18

Finally got it in the mail, viewed it, and here's my thoughts on it:

theRhyse007

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies