THE EXPENDABLES (Sylvester Stallone, 2010)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES (2010)

Postby Nathan on 14 Aug 2010, 00:59

Won't give my full review just yet, but as this is the Dolph forum I can safely say Dolph was menacing. He's the Expendable that'd scare me most should I come across him, you were scared just waiting for him to errupt. The smile on his face during the opening was creepy as hell. Also, the hair was awesome in this movie, completely went with the unhinged, demented fucker he was playing.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jack Caine on 14 Aug 2010, 04:14

It's so difficult to put into words how much I loved this movie! The action was totally pulse-pounding, the comraderie was very kickass-oldschool... The entire half-hour finale was one of the single greatest action scenes ever put on film! Dolph certainly owned in this movie and was maybe my favorite character in the film. Everyone in the megaplex jumped back when Dolph fired off his "warning shot".
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby Dawn on 14 Aug 2010, 07:02

Out-fucking-standing.
I'm not sure there is any other way to describe this movie and also what it means (I believe) for Dolph.
The way people were shouting and clapping all throughout the movie, has to be good right?
Loved the movie. Want to go see it again. :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby viendammage on 14 Aug 2010, 09:52

This movie was frigging ridiculous. I'm going to see it a couple more times in the theater for sure! Dolph was solid in the role, the audience reacted so much after his shotgun introduction, I couldn't even here what he said afterward!
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

Postby Tom on 14 Aug 2010, 11:14

It got better for me on 2nd viewing. Again, the reaction to Dolph was good from the audience. On the way out I heard a couple in surprised discussion at how good he was.

Actually 2nd time around, I appreciated Statham even more. I think it's the best action role he's had so far. He's got a lot more humour to him than his other roles. I actually think a lot of the time, Statham steals it over Sly in this, but then, Sly does kind of step back and give everyone a chance to shine too, which was really great of him.

Jet Li also came across better for me. He's still underused, and still kind of doesn't fit into the film, but he's likeable, and it's also a role with more humour than he's used to.

The Dolph vs Li fight was even better for me 2nd time too.

Fucking loved it. Just pure action gold. The fans are gonna love this. If the Forbes estimate proves true, then we'll be seeing a sequal for this no question. I hope the budget is bigger too. More Dolph, Willis, Arnold. I kind of felt this film could have done without Crews and Couture to give the others more time, but actually, they still come across as likeable and I'd enjoy seeing them return in the sequel. More so Terry Crews. I actually now hope Sly brings them all back. The only one who might not return is Jet Li.
Tom
Regular

Postby MFS on 14 Aug 2010, 12:03

Great to read the good reviews from all of you who have seen it! I was gonna watch it yesterday, but had to help out a relative in need. So I'm watching it tonight instead. Feels almost unreal, having looked forward to it since the end of 2008, to actually get to see The Expendables on the big screen! :D
MFS

Postby MFS on 14 Aug 2010, 12:06

Very early numbers indicate a $34 million weekend opening for the Expendables, with about $13 million on friday! If this holds or even goes up, it's pretty excellent ... 8)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/vie ... bbfa48dfb6
MFS

Postby Jox on 14 Aug 2010, 12:43

Might be even more hopefully...

Now Canadian distributor Maple Corop put this artwork on their FB page, more in the vein of what I was expecting:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 14 Aug 2010, 14:00

This may well be Stallones biggest opening weekend ever.
Tom
Regular

Postby Dawn on 14 Aug 2010, 17:00

Tom wrote:It got better for me on 2nd viewing. Again, the reaction to Dolph was good from the audience. On the way out I heard a couple in surprised discussion at how good he was.

Actually 2nd time around, I appreciated Statham even more. I think it's the best action role he's had so far. He's got a lot more humour to him than his other roles. I actually think a lot of the time, Statham steals it over Sly in this, but then, Sly does kind of step back and give everyone a chance to shine too, which was really great of him.

Jet Li also came across better for me. He's still underused, and still kind of doesn't fit into the film, but he's likeable, and it's also a role with more humour than he's used to.

The Dolph vs Li fight was even better for me 2nd time too.

Fucking loved it. Just pure action gold. The fans are gonna love this. If the Forbes estimate proves true, then we'll be seeing a sequal for this no question. I hope the budget is bigger too. More Dolph, Willis, Arnold. I kind of felt this film could have done without Crews and Couture to give the others more time, but actually, they still come across as likeable and I'd enjoy seeing them return in the sequel. More so Terry Crews. I actually now hope Sly brings them all back. The only one who might not return is Jet Li.

I agree about Statham, I thought he was great in this and his humor really showed through. If there is a sequel, I could certainly see Willis and Schwarzenegger providing bigger roles. Definitely would love Crews to come back as well, he is quite funny. Couture I like seeing him fight, but would be nice if we had a little bit more backstory on some of these guys. I was quite impressed with Tool's(Rourke) revelation to Stallone in the movie. It underscores what all these guy's feel and why they are so willing to risk their life to go into a possible no-win situation. Dolph almost gave away the ending for me with that interview though, I suspected what might happen at the end. Very impressed with all the fight scenes, explosions, shooting and knife fights. This movie certainly has it all. Can't wait for this to come to DVD!
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Sec on 14 Aug 2010, 17:14

www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Re: New EXPENDABLES interviews!

Postby Jox on 14 Aug 2010, 18:57

The cast interviewed in Attack of The Show

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Aug 2010, 19:02

# Dolph Lundgren has a surprisingly great presence on the screen, his calm and psychotic performance stands out.

http://movie-cafe.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -film.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 14 Aug 2010, 20:35

Wow, Dolph has probably never gone down as well with critics in the past. I really hope he gets offered good parts, and is sensible in picking them.

It would seem TE2 looks like a foregone conclusion and he'll most likely be included. So there's another theatrical release right there! 8)
Tom
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies