THE EXPENDABLES (Sylvester Stallone, 2010)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Nathan on 27 Nov 2008, 00:54

That's what I wanted to know, but there are rumours going around that DL is the bad guy..at least on the Van Damme forums they think that.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Warchild on 27 Nov 2008, 03:10

If DL is a bad guy, it still is fine by me because Dolph's best performances have been as a bad guy in Universal Soldier, Rocky 4 and that movie with Keanu reeves, i forgot the name.

It still will help Dolph get recognized again by people and more directors and studios migh even consider Dolph in future projects.

Well done Dolph, smart move. :D
Warchild
Regular

Postby The_Canadian on 27 Nov 2008, 09:23

Warchild wrote:If DL is a bad guy, it still is fine by me because Dolph's best performances have been as a bad guy in Universal Soldier, Rocky 4 and that movie with Keanu reeves, i forgot the name.

You're thinking of "Johnny Mnemonic."

With that in mind, it would be kind of ironic if Dolph were the bad guy, or A bad guy, because this would be Dolph's first widely theatrical release since JM.

Not to mention the fact that the same guy who gave him a career in the first place is the one who may very well save it now.

oh, and btw:

BEST. CAST. EVAH.
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Nov 2008, 10:38

I don't know, I have a feeling Jet Li could be a bad guy too and who ever is Sly quickly mentioned Li and Dolph get it on...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 27 Nov 2008, 11:36

Most of the stories I've seen posted have had a lot of the same info. This one has some different info, though who knows how reliable it is:

http://www.moviehole.net/200816767-caffeinated-clint-oh-van-damme

‘'Yes. Seems as soon as Van Damme nixed Sly's offer'', our Nu-Image contact tells us, "Sly went to the other Universal Soldier and offered him the part. Ha. I think it's already out there, so I guess there's no harm in running with it".

Deals had to be made quickly, says our contact, before this "inevitable SAG strike commences, so Sly wasn't going to wait for Van Damme to change his mind".

And what's this mean for the thought-ready-to-roll ‘'Universal Soldier 3''? Apparently the contract's have been rolled up, dipped in clag and thrown towards the office roof.

"Lundgren's no longer available to be in the film, I guess", we're told. (He was in talks, but was resisting joining the production until he and Van Damme got more screen time) and though Van Damme is legally bound to the flick (he owes the production company the sequel because he dropped out of an earlier project of theirs - this'll save him from having to spend the Winter painting the producers house as compensation). "Depends on filming dates, but I wouldn't think so.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 27 Nov 2008, 12:44

Good lord. Didn't find the time to check the forum for three days and look what I find when I come back? Christmas is already there!

HALLELUJAH!!!

Ok I'm a bit angry at Sly that he asked JC first... but what the hell. Nathan, I was so impressed by the JCVD movie that I can understand that he has high hopes on a new career but I can't believe that this is the main reason. He wouldn't be in US-3 if this was really his motivation here. Well, whatever. Thanks, JC, for turning this down.

Regarding the bad guy: If this is about a bunch of mercs going to South America I expect it to be something like Men of War or The Predator (without the extra-terrestrial life form) or John Rambo. Almost everyone will be a bad guy, just in different shapes. ;-) Gosh, I can't wait to see this. Maybe I should watch Men of War right away...

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 27 Nov 2008, 12:55

Yep, good luck to JC. Once he gets US-3 out the way, because he's under contract to do it, then I'm pretty sure he'll give up the action movies. He might have a few offers his way, so we'll see. But after such a great response for his acting in JCVD, he'd be foolish to do only action films. He'll probably have to go the Indie route, or do European films. You just don't know with Van Dammes ego, it might be that he just wants big films for the big screen. He might have to take some low paying Indie parts though. Will he be happy playing support man in small indie flicks that probably won't get much notice? This will be the balance between wanting to stretch as an actor, test himself, but at the same time the side that wants exposure, widespread acceptance etc.

Still can't complain, Dolph is now on board, and it's something far better for DL too. It's more his sort of film, and it's a shot in the arm for him. Could lead to a few roles in big action films. Again we'd probably be talking badass henchman, or maybe lead bad guy in something like Transporter 4, if such a thing ever comes out. I'd guess Sly had a part for a kind of French guy in this, played by JC. So that'll be re-written again. Dolph to go Russian again maybe?
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 27 Nov 2008, 13:03

I really hope they don't make him Russian again. His character was great in MoW (Swedish), also fantastic in US (American). And as a German I'd also love him to see as "Hans". ;-) But that would probably suck because they could never resist to make him an evil Nazi-type of guy. *sigh*
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Nov 2008, 14:17

The potential is huge (even though he's gonna be a superstar all of a sudden after 20 years of being the poor man's action hero to most) but I must say I'd rather not see him in "Transporter 4" as I'm not big on this although with Statham on board it's a possibility... I can only dream of him coming back in a James Bond with a real villain part this time (even if not the main one).

Well, Sly's movie's not even done yet, cross fingers...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 27 Nov 2008, 15:05

I'd love Dolph to be in a bond flick. He'd make a top quality henchman. Plus the dynamic of Dolph vs Daniel Craig would look pretty good on screen. This part in the Expendables is just the sort of part that'll perhaps get him back on the radar. At the very least there'll be the potential for bigger budgets in his own projects, and possibly the chance DTV studios might start looking through Dolph's back catalogue for sequel opportunities. Red Scorpion 2? Maybe even a sequel to something like Silent Trigger, Mulcahy back behind the lense again?
Tom
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Nov 2008, 15:38

If the Dolph inherited the role that originally went to JCVD, then Dolph won't be the villain; who in their right mind would cast JCVD as a baddie? Doesn't have the chops to be big and bad enough. Baddies HAVE to be bigger than life, see Trevor Goddard in Men Of War or Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in Bridge Of Dragons for instance. Jean Claude would be miscast.
leigh1975

Postby manudenis2005 on 27 Nov 2008, 15:51

leigh1975 wrote:If the Dolph inherited the role that originally went to JCVD, then Dolph won't be the villain; who in their right mind would cast JCVD as a baddie? Doesn't have the chops to be big and bad enough. Baddies HAVE to be bigger than life, see Trevor Goddard in Men Of War or Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in Bridge Of Dragons for instance. Jean Claude would be miscast.

I have to disagree.JC is great when playing a villain.Just watch Replicant and Wake Of Death.In WOD he isn't quite the villain but he is a bad guy,pretty scary sometimes.A lot of fans want him to play a baddie for a very long time.He gets pretty crazy also in Maximum Risk,In Hell.
Oh and in the first half of Until Death he is a villain.
manudenis2005
manudenis2005
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Nov 2008, 16:02

What is sure is that in the past couple of years I wished they could work out something with Sly!
Last edited by Jox on 27 Nov 2008, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Nov 2008, 19:00

Yes, but in a film like Expendables, and with that cast, you have to go big.
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 27 Nov 2008, 21:08

Man this forum is buzzzzing!! Woo!! Can I backtrack a second here, Jox, did you say that Dolph and Li might face-off as in fist-to-fist etc?
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies