THE EXPENDABLES (Sylvester Stallone, 2010)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES (Sylvester Stallone, 2010)

Postby Jox on 02 Apr 2021, 10:58

savagesketch wrote:New episode for a new month! Part II of THE EXPENDABLES discussion continues! This time our own Moltisanti and Matt Poirier from The DTV Connoisseur are back to help me round out the discussion surrounding Dolph’s return to the big screen! In this conversation, Molt and I go back to the beginning and discuss the hype and pre-production surrounding the film’s announcement. After, Matt and I discuss the effect of the film on the DTV market and how it was an almost last hurrah to these types of movies. Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... s-part-ii/

Feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever else you go to subscribe!

Funny how I had forgotten some of these pre-production stories, there were so many!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 03 Apr 2021, 18:45

It was a blast going back through all the different rumors/stories about the film. Oddest one I had forgotten about was Brittany Murphy being reportedly cast as Mickey Rourke's lounge-singer girlfriend.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Dec 2021, 20:26

SOLD for $15,625! A giclee print on canvas hand embelleshed by Sylvester Stallone and produced as a “General Garza” self-portrait prop for the film series The Expendables (Lionsgate, 2010-2014) signed by Stallone to the lower right in black marker.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXHxqyyhRWT/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Jan 2022, 11:34

New Walmart-exclusive slipcover (extended cut)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 01 Feb 2022, 17:37

Eric Roberts is absolutely amazing guy. One of the most prolific actors of all the time. I even do not know if he ever watched all his movies. When u see him in some movie u will never forget this face. He can act everything u want-drama, comedy, action TRULY pro. If many action guys acted in 1-2 projects per year then Eric can get 10 in a row. This means something, he is really dedicated and he doesn't care if he can choose wrong career killer project. He wipes all it and goes to the next one. He is really underappreciated actor, critics, academy awards nominations... and he is acting in many foreign productions as guest star (in Russia very often now). Keep going Eric. Bravo

Talking about Russia how did Dolph get involved in that Box TV show fighting Oleg Taktarov, an ex. champ. I heard they wanted to get Mike Tyson or any other real boxers, but they declined and surprisely Dolph agreed... Admin u as the guy who talked in person with Hans can u share his impressions after so many years...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 02 Feb 2022, 12:34

We haven't talked about it recently, but I remember while visiting the set of EX1, I was hanging out in the green room alongside Dolph, Gary Daniels and Tony Messenger when Lundgren briefly mentioned it and how he had just flown from LA the day before (while he was finishing editing MISSIONARY MAN) and was feeling completely jet-lagged and untrained for it while he was thrown into this surreal Russian big show event...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 02 Feb 2022, 19:15

Thank u Jox. Many people were wondering how Dolph haven't been involved in any russian big movie project as a guest star. Eric Roberts, Seagal, Van Damme, Dacascos, Hues, Depardieu, Pierre Richard, Delon etc. did it . Dolph can do it easily. A cameo role like Stallone in Taxi 3. He is very loved in Russia talking in consideration his big breakrole was Drago and Red Scorpion...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 02 Feb 2022, 19:37

There was a time in the mid-2000s until mid 2010s when he had several projects in development to star in Russia.
He did one cameo in the Russian film MALCHISHNIK as a favour to a producer-friend of his based in Russia, but it was not a big movie.
And it's not because the names you mentioned did it that it is a great idea aside from getting a good pay-check... Even though I'm not a fan of the French TAXI movies or the post-LEON Luc Besson, it was a more international-friendly production. Or have him a do a film with a serious Russian author-director but they seemed to have disappeared for the most part.

Back to topic, please.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 02 Feb 2022, 23:08

Thank u admin.
Coming back to The Expendables 1 (2010) I never saw many opinions regarding The Expendables 1 Theatrical Cut vs The Expendables Director's Cut.
All fans of Dolph and The Expendables franchise can share here their opinions what are the strong points and weak ones of both cuts

Talking about myself I prefer more Theatrical Cut for pacing reasons but I consider that fights scenes, chases are better edited in DC. What I do not like in Director's Cut is Jason Statham character which is very annoying in that extensions talking over and over about his ex girlfriend. Dolph alternate scenes are better in DC, fight with Jet Li is better edited. Long Intro and song slows movie in the beginning... A combination of both cuts can be the golden middle.

Anyone else please comment :D
alex.sp89

Postby JuV on 03 Feb 2022, 15:33

alex.sp89 wrote:Thank u admin.
Coming back to The Expendables 1 (2010) I never saw many opinions regarding The Expendables 1 Theatrical Cut vs The Expendables Director's Cut.
All fans of Dolph and The Expendables franchise can share here their opinions what are the strong points and weak ones of both cuts

Talking about myself I prefer more Theatrical Cut for pacing reasons but I consider that fights scenes, chases are better edited in DC. What I do not like in Director's Cut is Jason Statham character which is very annoying in that extensions talking over and over about his ex girlfriend. Dolph alternate scenes are better in DC, fight with Jet Li is better edited. Long Intro and song slows movie in the beginning... A combination of both cuts can be the golden middle.

Anyone else please comment :D

Intresting question. It's indeed something you don't see pop-up often. I've only seen the theatrical cut once, and I remember heavily disliking it in comparison to the extended cut. If I recall correctly, the theatrical cut has less character development, fewer scenes of Dolph, way worse editing and the extended cut got rid of some bad effects as well. Of course, the film still has most of the same flaws, but in general I feel the extended cut was a big improvement.
JuV

Postby Jox on 03 Feb 2022, 20:32

JuV wrote: in general I feel the extended cut was a big improvement.

Ironically, the extended cut preceded the theatrical cut (except for a few things that have been polished later such as some of the VFX / CGI). But overall this is the cut that Sly presented initially and that was shown at early test-screenings (and things such as the songs "Diamond Eyes" at the end battle and "Sinner's Prayer" during the main title sequence were already present then).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 03 Feb 2022, 21:17

Good to know that Director's Cut came first during test screening. They definitely should left the fights as in DC . In Theatrical Cut camera is shaking so fast that u do not understand what is going on the screen sometimes during fights. As I said Jason /Christmas talks too much nonsense in DC. In Theatrical Cut he is more brutal just like a real man who doesn't talk too much but is doing what he should do. I wonder how is he going to be in The EX 4 ? Another thing that always stuck into my mind is why did they use that song from Hard Target (1993) in the end, It is bad to use a song that was used years ago in another good action movie. There are plenty other good ones...

Admin what is your favorite version ? Or points from each other ?
alex.sp89

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies