DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE (Craig R. Baxley, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE (Craig R. Baxley, 1989)

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2013, 09:55

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/entertainme ... dark_angel
Shout Factory delivers once again in the Blu-ray special features department. Both Lundgren and Benben are interviewed separately and reminisce about the making of "Dark Angel." Benben had to wear 4-inch lifts just the fill the movie frame with Dolph! Director Craig Baxley is interviewed as well, revealing that the film was supposed to be a $25 million picture originally.

The trailer for "Dark Angel" appears, too... it’s hilarious that not only is the entire plot given away in the 4-minute trailer, but the ending is shown. Watch the trailer if you want to save yourself 91 minutes.

Blu-ray.com review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dark-Ange ... 93/#Review
Video Quality 3.5 of 5

Dark Angel is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Shout! Factory with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.78:1. This is generally a nice looking transfer from Shout!, but it has a couple of small anomalies which may bother some videophiles. While there is absolutely a fine layer of rolling grain throughout this presentation, I was just a little surprised by how minimal it seemed to be at times, especially since so much of this film exploits low light sequences. This is not meant to imply any DNR was applied, since grain is definitely in evidence, but serves only as an observation of something that piqued my curiosity. More problematic are a couple of just flat out soft moments that suddenly crop up, sometimes in the middle of otherwise quite sharp looking sequences, perhaps signs that an older master was utilized. One of these can be seen in the third screenshot (with Lundgren and Betsy Brantley). Aside from these admittedly fairly minor distractions, the rest of this presentation looks very good, with nicely saturated color and good contrast, something which helps this film's tendency toward rather dark or dimly lit scenes. Fine detail is good in close-ups. The BD-50 provides more than enough room for this feature and the minimal special features, and no compression artifacts were in evidence. While this may not be reference quality, it is certainly a major step up from the previously available MOD DVD.

Audio Quality 3.5 of 5

Dark Angel was released theatrically in Ultra Stereo, and this Blu-ray offers both DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS- HD Master Audio 2.0 versions of the soundtrack. The 5.1 mix definitely has distinctive channel separation and good surround activity in some of the most hyperkinetic action sequences, but it tends to focus mostly on the front channels. The sound seems fairly widely splayed in the 5.1 mix, with some at times slightly overpowering foley effects and less than pleasing amplitude in the dialogue. Things are much more cohesive in the 2.0 mix, which seems to prioritize dialogue a bit better. Jazz-rock guru Jan Hammer's score sounds great in both versions. Minimal midrange distortion pops up now and again but is not a major distraction.

Special Features and Extras 2.5 of 5

A Look Back at Dark Angel (1080p; 24:19). Though only director Craig R. Baxley and star Dolph Lundgren are credited on the title of this featurette, it actually also includes good interviews with Brian Benben. This is a really well done and consistently entertaining piece which gets into some of the rigors of the shoot and the kind of bizarre melding of science fiction and cop procedural elements.

Trailer (1080i; 2:43)

Poster & Still Gallery (1080p; 4:06)

Overall Score and Recommendation 3.5 of 5

Dark Angel is just goofy as all get out, at least when it doesn't devolve into Schwarzenegger-lite theatrics. The first half of this film is really artfully structured, providing just enough information to captivate the audience's interest without giving away too many revealing plot details. Unfortunately, the second half of the film tends to lose steam as things get into more of a predictable rut. Lundgren is a surprisingly affable star, incredibly agile in the action sequences and at least decently believable in the emoting department. This Blu-ray features generally very good video and audio and comes with one really worthwhile supplement. Recommended.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2013, 16:35

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Jason_Col ... _i_come_in
Best Feature: Love the Interviews section, especially hearing from Benben on his famed banter with the massive Lundgren. (But why is nobody talking about the title change?!)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2013, 21:01

Harry Knowles / AICN:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63864
No, this isn’t that James Cameron TV show with Jessica Alba – For those of us with a reliable memory from 1990, this is that alien drug dealer vs Dolph Lundgren and Brian BenBen that was called I COME IN PEACE. It was gloriously insane filmmaking. I was doing Houston Comic Shoes at the time this movie was out – and the Booth Babe in the booth next to me talked a lot about just how cool Dolph Lundgren was in person as she had a tiny role in it – and I’m happy to report when I got to hang out with him on EXPENDABLES – yes… Dolph is exceedingly cool. I really have to say – I’m pleased as shit to own this on Blu Ray! Seriously – it’s just a sign that we live in enlightened times that this is on Blu. I just genuinely enjoy the hell out of the film. The Blu has a Look back at the film with the Director and Dolph, that’s a lot of fun. Matthias Hues is so creepy weird in this! And I always loved the deadly CDS!

http://criterioncast.com/reviews/blu-ra ... ay-review/
Long forgotten (Scream Factory’s release was actually the first time this writer ever heard of the film), this Blu-ray is absolutely impeccable. The transfer here is remarkable given the source material, and the supplements (while admittedly light) are worthwhile. There are interviews with the director and two leads, a trailer, and even some amazing alternate artwork on the inside of the cover that you’ll see on store shelves. Overall, while the film won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, this is a genre film fan’s dream. Finally in as crisp an HD transfer as you’re bound to find for a film of this type from this era, this is a must own for anyone with a penchant for films with amped up explosions, cartoonish plotlines and some genuinely thrilling action beats. Color this writer a convert to the cult of Lundgren.

DARK ANGEL (a.k.a. I COME IN PEACE): Busting Up Two Genres, Baxley-Style
http://www.schlockmania.com/dark-angel/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2013, 23:50

Outlaw Vern reviews DA/ICIP for Daily Grindhouse
http://dailygrindhouse.com/reviews/blu- ... y-release/
There’s no commentary track on this new disc, but the 24 minute retrospective featurette I’m sure has as much info as that would’ve. They interview Baxley, Lundgren and Benben. All of them seem genuinely fond of the movie and happy to talk about it. Baxley immediately reveals a fact I never knew (and isn’t even on IMDb), that co-writer “Leonard Maas Jr.” is a pseudonym for David Koepp (JURASSIC PARK, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, STIR OF ECHOES, SNAKE EYES, SPIDER-MAN, etc. etc.).

There’s alot of talk about the stunts. I feel like they could’ve removed 2-3 of the mentions of “remember, this was before CGI, this was all real,” but it’s cool to hear them talking about not using stunt doubles very much and all the giant fireballs they had to really run from and stuff like that. I didn’t realize how low budget this was (about $7 million). Baxley complains that when the producers saw how much action he was getting they wouldn’t let him film some of the scenes he wanted, because they already had enough to get by. Like they wanted to make sure it wasn’t too awesome.

Luckily Baxley and company did sneak through a high volume of awesomeness, and the sci-fi aspect makes it stand out from other movies of this type. Obviously it’s not in the same arena as big studio movies like PREDATOR, but at the same time it’s of a much higher quality than the sci-fi action made by Full Moon and people like that. I think I COME IN PEACE should be seen by all fans of ’80s and ’90s b-action, and this is the best way to see it, unless you are reading this in the year 1990 and it’s still playing in a theater near you. If so that’s awesome man, go do that.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews ... e-in-peace
This Blu-ray is obviously the clearest I’ve ever seen I Come in Peace, having only seen it on VHS back in the ‘90s. It is a respectable transfer giving us a lot of clarity to see the gritty details all over the streets of Houston and the flying debris left in the wake of Dolph and the aliens. Towards the end of the film, digital noise becomes a bigger problem as it’s all set at night. It’s film look throughout, which is also a welcome sight for a cop vs. alien movie to be shot with the same level of materials as the studio blockbusters of the day.

The sole bonus feature is a look back at the film featuring new interviews with director Craig Baxley, Lundgren and Benben. Baxley is actually rather informative about how the action looks so big. He called in some favors and it just shows that A-list technicians can bring their A-game to B-movies. Benben speaks very fondly about the project and Lundgren is a charismatic charmer. The Blu-ray does also include the trailer and a still gallery, which includes many interesting alternate posters.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Aug 2013, 11:19

http://diaboliquemagazine.com/dark-ange ... ay-review/
VIDEO
For a film that’s more or less been unavailable in a decent quality release previously to this set, SHOUT!’s transfer does the film justice as best as it can. The film is riddled with grain, but the edges are refined and the colors are especially emphasized. There is never an overt sign of DNR softening, but the heavy grain may turn off some high definition enthusiasts. Still, the film looks the best that it can for the material available.

AUDIO
Once again, SHOUT! lives to its reputation for the highest quality audio transfer, courtesy of a new DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo track. The music and dialogue are separated cleanly and there is not a trace of hiss to be found. Fans of audacious action movie soundtracks will be more than satisfied with SHOUT!’s work here.

EXTRAS
The extras, albeit scant, are worthwhile. A featurette featuring Interviews with Craig R. Baxley, Dolph Lundgren and Brian Benben deliver hysterical and gripping anecdotes about the film, including stunts gone wrong, the budgetary issues and the use of top-tier athletes for the villains. Otherwise, the film only comes with a theatrical trailer and a still gallery.

http://www.horrortalk.com/movie-reviews ... eview.html
Video and Audio:

Dark Angel is presented in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio and looks rather nice for its age and budget. The print is in fine shape and features strong colors with natural looking flesh tones and decent contrast levels. The image is much stronger than all previous versions, as one would expect, and fans will not be disappointed.

The default DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is plenty active, but surprisingly restrained considering the number of explosions. The surrounds get some love, but the majority of the action remains front-heavy and a little light on bass. Purists will be happy with the inclusion of the original mono track, offered here in DTS-HD MA 2.0. English subtitles are provided.

Special Features:

A Look Back at Dark Angel (24 minutes) features separately recorded interviews with director Baxley and stars Lundgren and Benben. The three share many amusing anecdotes from their time working on the film, several referencing the height discrepancy between the two leads. Baxley speaks freely of the budgetary restrictions and how his history as a stunt coordinator came to benefit the finished picture.

A marketing gallery of stills and poster art are joined by the original theatrical trailer to round out the special features.

It is mildly disappointing that there is not an interview with the evil alien Matthias Hues, but what's really missing is a commentary track with any of the participants. Still, this is better treatment than the film has ever seen before.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2013, 01:16

Image Image Image
The Disc
Scream's presents the film in a AVC encoded 1080p 1.78:1 transfer that looks solid if not spectacular. Sound is also very solid and is available with both DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS- HD Master Audio 2.0.

The list of features isn't very long, but the 24 minute long A Look Back at Dark Angel feature is pretty great. It's a lengthy set of interviews with Baxley, Lundgren and Benben. All three guys have a great deal of affection for the film with Baxley especially proud of his work. Also included on the disc are a theatrical trailer and a poster & still gallery.

Sex/Nudity
The hottest female mechanic you'll ever see is shown in a bra briefly before getting her head impaled quite brutally on Bad Alien's endorphin extracting spike. For the ladies out there you get an extreme closeup on Michael J. Pollard's bulge.

Gore/Violence
Tons of people are killed in this movie, but none of the deaths were overly graphic or gory. Several guys have their throats slit with a spastic CD-sized disc, and a few people receive the old brain spike directly in the center of their skulls but there just really isn't much actual gore, mostly just a bit of blood here and there. They make up for the fairly limited amount of blood and guts with a glut of spectacular explosions. There are so many explosions that I lost count. The best thing is that the detonations are often taking place with the actual actors close by - sometimes dangerously so, and I think seeing the actor's faces with junk exploding 10 feet away from them helps to make the action more exciting. There's a bit with Matthias Hues hurtling a series of exploding cars in a parking garage that's actually pretty goddamn amazing - if he'd mistimed one of the jumps they would've been picking up pieces of this guy for hours.

Things to Watch For:
Ben Savage: Law Enforcer
Fake Bad Guy. Real kick in the face by Dolph Lundgren.
Extraterrestrial Breast Exam
Michael J. Pollard's Boner
Blues Brothering a Shopping Mall

http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspot.f ... .html#more
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2013, 11:11

http://www.chud.com/143272/blu-ray-revi ... -in-peace/
This movie is best known as the action flick with the flying killer compact disc that spins around slicing throats left and right. This is the first time the film has been released HD and Scream Factory has done an excellent job polishing up this rough 90s gem. This one is a perfect product of its time. Everything from the Alien Nation style titles and the Another 48 Hrs. cinematography to the cool cameos by Michael J. Pollard, Sam Anderson and Al ‘KaBong’ Leong works and works well.

The Package

Excellent transfer and sound topped with a featurette that includes stories and interviews from director Craig R. Baxley, Dolph Lundgren and Brian Benben. It’s worth your dollar to put this on the shelf with Predator, Tango & Cash and Lethal Weapon 2.

Rating 4 out of 5 stars
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2013, 15:13

8)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#300 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
#5 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Horror
#13 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Science Fiction
#14 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Drama
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2013, 23:14

http://insidepulse.com/2013/08/29/blu-r ... -in-peace/
The video is 1.78:1 anamorphic. There’s a bit of grain to the image since there’s plenty of night shooting. The audio is 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio. Both mixes bring out the end of the ’80s sounds. You’ll get to hear Dolph kick away on all the speakers. The movie has English subtitles.

A Look Back at “Dark Angel” (24:19) lets Director Craig R. Baxley, Brian Benben and Dolph Lundgren remember their time tearing up Houston. Baxley came from a stunt background which explains how he could have such elaborate effects on a low budget film. They all have praise for Matthias Hues’s performance. Benben admits to wearing platform shoes to stay in the shots with Dolph. Sadly ESPN’s Jay Bilas doesn’t contribute.

Trailer (2:43) sets it up as a buddy cop flick with an alien twist and Dolph’s kick. The title is Dark Angel on the trailer.

Poster & Still Gallery (4:06) is plenty of promo material for the film including the lobby cards.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 31 Aug 2013, 11:09

http://www.horrorphilia.com/2013/08/30/ ... ay-review/

http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2917
Video

Arriving in hi-def for the first time, “Dark Angel” sports a very clean looking 1.78:1 1080p 24/fps AVC MPEG-4 encode. The print used for this picture was clearly left in good shape thanks to a recent remaster from MGM for their burn-on-demand Limited Edition Collection DVD. There’s a healthy layer of grain left intact, with no signs of any DNR being used to shine things up. Colors have a bit of pop to them, and skin tones look natural and lifelike. Black levels tend to dominate when light sources are scarce, leaving some of the image to be lost to the shadows. Shades of blue are most often used in many scenes, giving the palette a steely appearance. The lack of tinkering with the image, coupled with a pristine print, really helps the film maintain a natural HD look.

Audio

The back cover erroneously states there is just a stereo track, but in reality the film features an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound track (48kHz/24-bit), as well as an English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo track. Truthfully, the film has a limited range to the soundscape, with very little activity given to the rear setup. Composer Jan Hammer’s score is pulse pounding, with lots of synth elements that are reminiscent of his work on “Miami Vice” (1984-1990). Dialogue sounds clear and free of any anomalies, although the levels could have been boosted just a touch. Subtitles are included in English.

Extras

Aside from a featurette, there isn’t a whole lot to talk up here aside from the theatrical trailer and an image gallery.

“A Look Back at Dark Angel” (1080p) is a featurette that runs for 24 minutes and 19 seconds. Director Craig R. Baxley is interviewed, as well as stars Dolph Lundgren and Brian Benben. Baxley has the most to say about the film, and he’s brimming with enthusiasm for his work. The guy was clearly very exciting to be handed the project, which he certainly made the most out of with so much on-screen action. I’m amazed he didn’t record a commentary for this release. Lundgren and Benben both share some fond memories of shooting the film, but it’s really Baxley’s participation that makes this such an interesting piece.

The film’s theatrical trailer (1080p) runs for 2 minutes and 43 seconds.

Finally, a poster & still gallery (1080p) runs for 4 minutes and 6 seconds, showcasing various behind-the-scenes shots, lobby cards, and poster art.

Packaging

The single disc comes housed in a Blu-ray keep-case. The cover art is reversible, so you can display either the “Dark Angel” title, or “I Come In Peace”.

Overall

This movie is FUN. Baxley makes the most of his small budget and produces a film that feels bigger than it should. Lundgren and Benben both turn in solid performances, and the film’s evil alien bad guy is truly menacing and imposing. Shout! has put out a killer Blu-ray that should please fans of the film who have been waiting for it to get the proper treatment on home video.

The Film: B- Video: B Audio: B- Extras: C+ Overall: B-
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Sep 2013, 01:17

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/dvdblu ... peace-1990
Shout! Factory’s AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.78:1 is absolutely impeccable for the era of its production. The film is riddled with grain, but the edges are refined and the colors are especially emphasized. There is never an overt sign of DNR softening, but the heavy grain may turn off some high definition enthusiasts. Still, the film looks the best that it can for the material available. Fine detail is good in close-ups. Colors are sharp. A new DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo track graces the film with a good separation between dialogue, music, and explosions.

Supplements:

Commentary:

None

Special Features:

While a little slight, the supplements are worthwhile. There are new interviews with the director and the film’s two leads, a trailer, and a poster & still gallery. The Blu-ray also comes with alternative artwork on the inside of the case. Another worthwhile Blu-ray release courtesy of Shout! Factory.

A Look Back at Dark Angel (24 min)
Poster & Still Gallery (4 min)
Trailer
Jox
Site Admin

Postby viendammage on 01 Sep 2013, 05:51

Got my copy the other day while I was knocked out with a cold. Watched the Interviews which were great, would really have enjoyed a commentary by Baxley though, you know he has stories.

Bring on Showdown In Little Tokyo Special Edition!
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

Postby Mosquito on 01 Sep 2013, 19:12

viendammage wrote:Bring on Showdown In Little Tokyo Special Edition!

Absolutely!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 02 Sep 2013, 03:32

Jox wrote:http://www.edgeonthenet.com/entertainment/movies//dvd_reviews/147197/dark_angel
Shout Factory delivers once again in the Blu-ray special features department. Both Lundgren and Benben are interviewed separately and reminisce about the making of "Dark Angel." Benben had to wear 4-inch lifts just the fill the movie frame with Dolph! Director Craig Baxley is interviewed as well, revealing that the film was supposed to be a $25 million picture originally.

That's funny about Benben wearing the 4" lifts to fit in the frame with Dolph. Mattias Hues(the bad alien) is the same height as Dolph. In the scene he is running on the tops of cars, you can see him wearing these giant "Frankenstein" platform boots with at least 8" of lift to make him more menacing and to tower over Dolph!
:twisted: :lol:
Ivan, Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies