DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE (Craig R. Baxley, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DARK ANGEL / I Come In Peace (Craig R. Baxley, 1989)

Postby alex.sp89 on 24 Feb 2022, 23:23

WOW A REAL WIDESCREEN in my perception 1;85;1 - much wider on the sides a truly cinematic experience. Plenty brilliant extras, by the master Jox conducted himself. Sure i will order one, France started to get the most complete editions of Dolph movies after Jox involvement. Just a curiosity which one is next ?
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 12:12

lhz wrote:JThe most exciting content to me is DOLPH VS ANGEL told by you, Jox. Knowing you and your expertise, it gonna be very deep and complete !

Then brace yourself because this one is the longest, running at 45 minutes!
Usually you shoot a 1-hour interview that end up between 10-25 mins because editors and distributors focus on delivering a tighter featurette, but in this case, not much has been cut from the new extras we made.

One extra that I'll personally recommend is the interview with Mark Irwin, the director of photography, who began his career shooting all the earliest David Cronenberg films. I had interviewed him 10 years ago for my book project, and I suggested that we make a new one for this release, especially since cinematographers are almost never asked to participate in special features. So if you're a cinephile interested in the "bolts and nuts" of making films, this will be a very interesting extra for you...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 15:06

Teaser from Dolph:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=492098122532939

Pre-orders start at 6PM Paris time (12PM EST / 9AM PST), only on https://mdcfilms.myshopify.com/

DARK ANGEL direct link:
https://mdcfilms.myshopify.com/products ... lu-ray-dvd

(International orders are welcome.)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 25 Feb 2022, 15:09

Jox wrote:Finally!
I can reveal all the specs and special features of the upcoming French edition! 8)

Amazing features! I do have one question, are there any French only features on it? Regardless of that, I will definitely be getting this!
JuV

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 15:16

Extras are in English
EXCEPT THESE TWO which are in French only:
- DOLPH VS ALIEN – DARK ANGEL told by Jérémie Damoiseau (where I go deep on the genesis and making of)
- DARK ANGEL IN FRANCE - Discussion between journalist Hélène Merrick and Jérémie Damoiseau (about the release of the film and Dolph Lundgren in France)

P.S.:
It’s the very first release from MDC Films (along with EXTERMINATOR 2) so they need all the support they can get!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 25 Feb 2022, 19:47

JuV wrote:
I can reveal all the specs and special features of the upcoming French edition! 8)

Amazing features! I do have one question, are there any French only features on it? Regardless of that, I will definitely be getting this!

Do you mean exclusive first-time features for this French edition or extras only with French language ? I think the logic would be that the interviewed Americans protagonists would be in English and the analysis and chatting by Jox and others without the protagonists from DARK ANGEL would be in French (but maybe I am wrong).

Jox wrote:P.S.:It’s the very first release from MDC Films (along with EXTERMINATOR 2) so they need all the support they can get!

Regarding that, I'd like to have a word with this CEO, how did he creates and launch his small company and how much he has to paid to get the rights sublicensed for those 2 titles ? Any chance he will attempt to the Rocky IV première at Le Grand Rex ?

Jox wrote:One extra that I'll personally recommend is the interview with Mark Irwin, the director of photography, who began his career shooting all the earliest David Cronenberg films. I had interviewed him a 10 years ago for my book project, and I suggested that we make a new one for this release, especially since cinematographers are almost never asked to participate in special features. So if you're a cinephile interested in the "bolts and nuts" of making films, this will be a very interesting extra for you...

Duly noted, Sir 8)

EDIT: Got my copy :wink:
lhz

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 20:25

The pre orders are NOW OPEN!
And for 25 € only, which for the amount of content is a bargain...
https://mdcfilms.myshopify.com/products ... lu-ray-dvd

lhz wrote:
JuV wrote:

Do you mean exclusive first-time features for this French edition or extras only with French language ? I think the logic would be that the interviewed Americans protagonists would be in English and the analysis and chatting by Jox and others without the protagonists from DARK ANGEL would be in French (but maybe I am wrong).

I didn't read it that way but all the extras are new and exclusive to this French edition except for the 2013 Shout! Factory featurette (because we couldn't get Baxley to intervene this time).
And as I said, all are in English language except for the two interviews/discussions in which I appear, alone and with French genre film journalist Hélène Merrick...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 25 Feb 2022, 20:29

The shipping cost is a bit expensive (6€ invoiced to me while I am living within Ile-De-France), I forgive them easily as it is a small company :wink:
I hope international shipping cost within EU are not too heavy though, it could penalized them for selling numbers.
lhz

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 20:36

When I send my books now it's also 6€ to ship... The post rates have highly increased even for small things :?

I don't know how clear it is but you could have had it stored for pick-up at the offices of "chaperon" distributor Le Chat Qui Fume (Paris 11th)...
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 18.35.39.jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 18.35.39.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 25 Feb 2022, 20:54

Jox wrote:I don't know how clear it is but you could have had it stored for pick-up at the offices of "chaperon" distributor Le Chat Qui Fume (Paris 11th)...

The pick and collect mode is clear, but spending already so much time in the traffic jammed weekly and with these restrictive period you can come pick-up your copy, only during the happy-hour traffic jammed, I would have burnt the 6€ spared in fuel consuming and parking lot. So I paid for my own tranquility :wink:
Last edited by lhz on 25 Feb 2022, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
lhz

Postby JuV on 25 Feb 2022, 20:54

Jox wrote:Extras are in English 
EXCEPT THESE TWO which are in French only:
- DOLPH VS ALIEN – DARK ANGEL told by Jérémie Damoiseau (where I go deep on the genesis and making of)
- DARK ANGEL IN FRANCE - Discussion between journalist Hélène Merrick and Jérémie Damoiseau (about the release of the film and Dolph Lundgren in France)

P.S.:
It’s the very first release from MDC Films (along with EXTERMINATOR 2) so they need all the support they can get!

Thanks for the answer. Also, just to be clear, I'm guessing no English subtitles on those? Forgot to ask this in my original response (and I'm not sure if you know), but are all 1000 individually numbered?

I do feel like the Exterminator 2 release is a bit too pricy (especially for international customers, but those probably wouldn't buy it anyway since the only exclusive features are French by the looks of it).

lhz wrote:The shipping cost is a bit expensive (6€ invoiced to me while I am living within Ile-De-France), I forgive them easily as it is a small company :wink: 
I hope international shipping cost within EU are not too heavy though, it could penalized them for selling numbers.

I've ordered it and shipping was €7 for me. I've seen better, but also way worse. 
JuV

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2022, 21:01

JuV wrote:Thanks for the answer. Also, just to be clear, I'm guessing no English subtitles on those? Forgot to ask this in my original response (and I'm not sure if you know), but are all 1000 individually numbered?

Sadly no English subs on those, there is already a lot of subtitle work for one person between the film and the other extras, and they don't have all the time and money in the world sadly so these choices have to be made...

The 1,000 copies are not individually numbered.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 26 Feb 2022, 12:09

Jox wrote:Sadly no English subs on those, there is already a lot of subtitle word for one person between the film and the other extras, and they don't have all the time and money in the world sadly so these choices have to be made...

If one person only was dedicated to subtitle work, it is perfectly understandable that choices have to be made even if it would have helped rising international selling for non-english native. I, for example, although my English skill is correct, always choose English or English SDH subs for my comfort and not miss any sentence meaning. It is the only cons we could find so far, otherwise everything is just perfect and we got the edition we all dreamt about.

Sorry to ask again but is it the transfer from Shout! on this edition ?

Do we have any infos about the amount of copy already sold so far ? I am curious about it, is half of it already sold ?
lhz

Postby JuV on 26 Feb 2022, 14:34

Jox wrote:Sadly no English subs on those, there is already a lot of subtitle work for one person between the film and the other extras, and they don't have all the time and money in the world sadly so these choices have to be made...

The 1,000 copies are not individually numbered.

Yeah, I understand subtitles can quickly add up and considering it's a French release aimed (mostly) towards the French market it's not worth the investment. Always find it a bit disappointing when limited numbered editions aren't individually numbered, but this also of course require/cost more resources.

lhz wrote:Sorry to ask again but is it the transfer from Shout! on this edition ?

Do we have any infos about the amount of copy already sold so far ? I am curious about it, is half of it already sold ?

Curious about the transfer as well. Especially since the aspect ratio is different. Not sure how this company will handle everything, but other companies often mention online when they're running low/selling out. 
JuV

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies