DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE (Craig R. Baxley, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Moltisanti on 01 May 2006, 01:46

Yeah, that's what Region 2 is. You can find pretty cheap DVD players that will play discs from other regions at stores like Target or on the Internet.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby The_Canadian on 01 May 2006, 03:03

Also, (I had to learn this the hard way when I bought "Dark Angel" at an HMV in London) it turns out that the average DVD friendly computer doesn't have the region encoded chip, so any region DVDs should be able to play on your computer!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Angelique on 18 Jun 2006, 13:25

I hate it that dvds have different regioncodes... Europe (where I live) has region 2... but America has region 1.
I want to buy Rocky IV but here in holland is it inpossible to buy that dvd. well you can buy it if you buy the whole rocky box-set... part 1 till 5. but thats very expensive.
maybe I have to buy and all region dvdplayer, buy the dvd in America and watch it.
but I don't have a creditcard to pay :? why do you always need a creditcard to pay in other countries..???
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

Postby Mosquito on 27 Jun 2006, 20:59

Don't get me started on the region code system. It's a shame that not many people know about it (because 99% of buyers don't look for special editions from other countries) because IF people would know there would be louder protest.

When I buy a new player, the first killer "application" is that it is region code-free or there's an easy way to "crack" it. Funny thing: the cheapo no-name players are the ones that are codefree from the beginning. Some expensive brands require expensive hardware kits if you want them codefree. Check on the Internet before you buy!

If you want to buy a new player, searching for a string like "multi-region DVD player list" or variations of that might be a good start.

Here's more info about the region code system and what it does (very good site I think):
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/search/SearchFAQ.asp?Category=227&Search=region+code

Here you can find info about how to get rid of the region code for certain players: http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Do something for consumer rights! Tell your friend about that region code system and encourage them to buy no crippled players!

Note: Even dvd drives in your computer are now mostly crippled. If you are not sure about yours, here's a tool: http://www.remoteselector.com/driveinfo.htm

Ok. by now you may have noticed that the topic upsets me a bit. ;)
Good look!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Angelique on 28 Jun 2006, 21:15

thanks for your answer!! well I have bought Rocky IV, so i'm very happy with that!! and i've found out that there are some more dvds from Dolph that i can buy here. i have orderd 4 new movies!! Looking forward to watch them!!
my collection keeps growing :P but i'm not gonna stop till i have them all!! 8)
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

Postby BrunnenMatt on 29 Jun 2006, 12:10

Angelique wrote:i have ordered 4 new movies!! Looking forward to watch them!! my collection keeps growing :P but i'm not gonna stop till i have them all!! 8)

Don't forget to do some homework before ordering those Dolph movies!

A lot of countries do have pro's and con's... Like widescreen/fullscreen/audio options/extras and sometimes some movies are cut!

One must buy is Universal Soldier: Special Edition available in R1, R2 France and I believe Spain, includes some nice interviews with Dolph and Jean-Claude :D.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Angelique on 29 Jun 2006, 14:52

well, I have orderd by bol.com that's a very reliable company!! :D
I already have Universal Soldier, I have seen the Special Edition but on the "normal" dvd there's also A making of + behind the scenes its great to see :D
Van Damme says: Look who's there.. Dolph is always too late on the set :P hahaha awesome! then Dolph says: Who's that?? Are you a figurant??

hahaha really nice!!! it's a pity that Dolph almost never have some extra's on his dvds..
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

Postby Mosquito on 29 Jun 2006, 16:34

If you understand German (or can figure out the basic meaning of some things in German) try http://www.ofdb.de/, the Open Film DataBase. They list many different versions (DVD, Video, Laserdisc, TV Broadcasts...) for all the movies in there.

For "I Come In Peace" (aka "Dark Angel") they list a lot versions. The scissors icon next to the version tells you that it is a cut version. If you click on a title you see the detailed description.

Version overview: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=film&fid=197

Description of the British DVD by MGM (uncut):
http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=197&vid=120508

Very helpful site if you are looking for the best version around the world.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Angelique on 30 Jun 2006, 00:47

I understand german a little... not very much.. but i have looked at the links you said... but i see this:

Untertitel:
Deutsch für Hörgeschädigte
Englisch für Hörgeschädigte
Französisch
Norwegisch
Spanisch

there isn't Dutch... thats a pity... but can i buy dvds on that site?? and how must i pay?
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

Postby Mosquito on 01 Jul 2006, 11:48

Indeed, no Dutch subtitles for this version. There are links to... Amazon, I think.

You can check the box "Marktplatz" (market place) in the right column. There's currently no offer for the MGM version ("Keine Angebote vorhanden" = no offers available).

There is an OFDB-Shop but you have to be registered as an "over 18" user in order to buy such versions (you can see the link to the shop on the German DVD version: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=197&vid=118812). I think it's quite a hassle for people outside Germany to pass that "certification" and I don't know if they offer any English support. So maybe you should try to look out for those versions on www.play.com (no check for age AFAIK and free shipping), playusa.com (same site but for region 1 DVDs) or dvdboxoffice.com (also free shipping, I think, but they often don't have what I'm looking for). Or just try a web search. That way I found a shop in Australia where I ordered my "I Come In Peace" DVD some time ago.

Good luck!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Angelique on 01 Jul 2006, 19:20

well i have looked so much... but sometimes i found them, but the subtitles are never Dutch... thats the problem...
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

Postby Craigie-Boy on 18 Aug 2006, 18:42

For those who are interested, here's the trailer for I Come In Peace...
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Angelique on 24 Aug 2006, 19:32

nice trailer!! thanks!! :D
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

I come in peace Boxoffice

Postby TombRaider on 26 Dec 2006, 18:32

Did you know that it was released on september 28th, 1990 and grossed $4,348,368?

I always thought it was a dtv like the punisher.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=1990&wknd=39&p=.htm
TombRaider
Regular

Postby Jox on 26 Dec 2006, 18:49

No and it actually made more in Europe.

"The Punisher" is not a DTV, it was released theatrically worldwide except in the US because New World Pictures was bankrupt...

Most of the early Dolph movies actually came out theatrically in Europe and Asia, but less in the US for some reason...

(I saw each Dolph movie that came out in France from MOTU to The Shooter, except Showdown and Pentathlon that went DTV there)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies