MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Max Potential on 04 May 2005, 12:57

Men of War: The Greatest Dolph Movie Ever

I had seen A View to a Kill, Rocky IV, and UniSols, but it wasn't until this movie that I became a huge Dolph fan.

I rented it to see Trevor Goddard (R.I.P.) and ended up renting ever other Dolph movie in existence. Great cast. Great story. A+ work.
Max Potential

Postby Terminator on 04 May 2005, 15:16

Well, here on RTL II there was listed "Men of War", but they were just "lying". I even programmed this movie so that I could have watched it the following day, but there was then broadcast another stupid movie. What a pity! The last time I've seen this movie is at least 5 years ago... I really don't know all that much about this movie, but any way I think Rocky IV is still my favourite if there's even a category for putting on a great show for an actor/an actress I'd give him an A+ there. In Men of War Dolph was the usual main hero, right?
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Jox on 04 May 2005, 19:50

Yes, "Men of War" is definitely one of the best and most polished Dolph movies in every department. It's a shame it didn't get a theatrical everywhere. A MUST SEE...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby carrie on 04 May 2005, 23:41

yeah its a great film, one of his best.
carrie
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 05 May 2005, 06:29

MEN OF WAR was a film I didn't care for much when I first saw it. I decided to pick it up on DVD about a year ago and I'm glad I did. Seeing it in widescreen really gives you a sense of the film's scope, and that it was probably filmed with a bigger release in mind than it received. It's sort of like Dolph's version of THE DIRTY DOZEN. The fight scene with Goddard at the end was great. I would not put the film in my top 5 Lundgren favorites, I'd even say that THE DEFENDER is better, but it is a movie well worth watching.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Terminator on 05 May 2005, 12:16

At all, the Defender was kind of "usual", but every movie includes something worth to watch it. Maybe in The Defender it was the kind of teamwork I haven't seen so many times when Dolph was acting or just the place where the movie was set. I just don't remember the place where they shot the ambiance for Men of War... it's almost out of my mind. ^^
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 May 2005, 18:43

MEN OF WAR was shot in Thailand at the same island where was later filmed THE BEACH with DiCaprio...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 07 May 2005, 12:38

Terminator, don't bother to watch Dolph's movies on German TV. They cut it like hell, especially Men of War and Red Scorpion. Even the DVDs are cut. The RC1 DVD Men of War is 19 (!!) minutes longer than the German version. :-/
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Terminator on 07 May 2005, 14:29

Yes, thanks for the hint. By the way, I dunno if I already told you, they even cancelled the whole movie... :(

But yes, Red Scorpion on German TV is just like the DVD... so much taken out... on another special sites for cut movies, I found a few pictures and I think it isn't all that cruel and horrible. Okay, at the end, there's this henchman officer running around with a grenade who gets executed his hand, but the rest is just plaine action sequences with shooting around and they could have let those thing containing.

And to import all his movies is just a lot of work...
Anyone a plan where to get uncut DVDs from??

Maybe Men of War could be mine soon.
Terminator
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 08 May 2005, 10:47

I bought the British Red Scorpion DVD for 5,99 British Pounds on play.com and they have free shipping. Check it out, maybe they still have the low price. It is a very good source for cheap RC2 Dolph DVDs. But don't buy too much at a time because they ship from Jersey which is not EU and you may end up paying customs. Or, if you have very bad luck, the customs may confiscate the DVDs. But that never happened to me.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Terminator on 08 May 2005, 12:24

Yes. Then I am going to resell my cut DVDs somewhere... but via eBay you can find so many auctions that say "Red Scorpion"... never seen any DVD as the FSK 18... :(
Terminator
Regular

Postby Max Potential on 08 May 2005, 20:01

If anyone wants some Region 1 dvds mailed to them from the states, just send me a private message. I'd be happy to go shopping for you. I only ask that you pay the shipping and the price of the dvd.

I feel bad for you Europeans with your crappy dvds.
Max Potential

Postby Terminator on 08 May 2005, 23:00

Hmm... yeah... So import is much more expensive and all the goods I just can't buy in a regular electronic market here around. :(

And I think there's nothing more young people wouldn't have seen already...
some blood splooshing around after getting shot...
the only thing that sometimes (only sometimes... ;) ) makes me gasping a lil' is, if there are limbs of the main hero just flying around... but right now it is just normal within action movies. The other thing is the fact of sexual scenes that "could have bad influence" on younger people... hey, c'mon everyone! This is just normal.
And Germany for example is enforcing a "more secure" system for us DVD consumer. That's not fair... Then it ends up like Red Scorpion. I've only watched the FSK-16... but I am sure that even a German FSK-18 version is cut. Agood example is "Silent Trigger". I can still remember me holding the movie in my hands some years ago: "ungekürzte 18er Fassung" it said... but all rubbish: I think at least two parts in the movie are getting non-sense with this visualisation.
Terminator
Regular

Men Of War (R & Uncut) film?

Postby BrunnenMatt on 14 Jul 2005, 17:15

I just ordered the R1 'Men Of War' and was reading that this is only the R-rated theatrical version and not the Uncut version.

Is there an 'Uncut' version of this film? could not find any think on this site. If an Uncut exist, what is actually missing between the two versions.

The German DVD is heavily cut - 23 mins
The French DVD IS CUT - 2 mins

Any help would be appreciated :D.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Jul 2005, 20:27

the R1 DVD is uncut

EDIT:
the R1 DVD is cut
Jox
Site Admin