MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Jox on 04 Feb 2016, 15:59

Uncredited exec producer and worldwide sales agent Mark Damon (DARK ANGEL, JOSHUA TREE, JOHNNY MNEMONIC, UNISOL 3 & 4) during production back in 1993 (MIFED film market)
http://www.impactonline.co/film/2570-ar ... th-vision/

We've done several films with him already. Dark Angel, Joshua Tree and Johnny Mnemonic, but before that one we're making Men of War with him, with a script by (director) John Sayles.

Impact: I don't tend to associate John Sayles with the kind of films that Dolph Lundgren normally does.

Mark Damon: There's much more than action in it. There's an uplifting, moralistic story which, if it comes off as I hope it will, might give Dolph's career even more impetus. We'll see a tender, warm, caring side to him as well, which I think is important.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Feb 2016, 11:12

The Platinum Cult / Digidreams edition now also for pre-order on
http://www.medienversand.at/DVD/Demnaec ... uncut.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 08 Feb 2016, 12:21

I just never thought this one was particularly good.
I used to have the poster for it on my bedroom wall though.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 18 Feb 2016, 10:44

Jox wrote:The Platinum Cult / Digidreams edition now also for pre-order on
http://www.medienversand.at/DVD/Demnaec ... uncut.html

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Feb 2016, 11:21

An interview with John Sayles, as he's showing up at the WEEK-END WITH JOHN SAYLES from the LA Cinefamily/Silent Movie Theater
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74474
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Feb 2016, 23:37

Release is February 29th on certain sites, here it is with the 3 discs and booklet

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Mar 2016, 14:17

Platinum Cult / Digidreams edition special features recap:
http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=409357
Booklet (Text by Nando Rohner)

Introduction by Dolph Lundgren (0:28)
Interview with Dolph Lundgren (4:45)
An Unsafe Place: Making 'Men of War' (12:48, interview with yours truly)
Kill Count (Allouttabubblegum.com video) (2:20)
French featurette (1995 TV interview "Ciné6") (2:34)

Behind the Scenes gallery
Artworks gallery
Stills gallery
Japan-Flyer (front and back)
US Press-Kit (Production Notes)
German Synopsis

Trailers
Original Trailer HD (re-edited from feature film master, with DigiDreams logo)
Original Trailer SD
Re-Release Trailer (US video trailer from Dimension/Miramax)
Rough-Trailer
French Trailer
Brasilian Trailer
TV-Spot USA
TV-Spot Russia
TV-Spot French
Video Trailer (French VHS retail commercial) (long)
Video Trailer (French VHS retail commercial) (short)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2016, 15:58

Jox wrote:An Unsafe Place: Making 'Men of War' (12:48, interview with yours truly)

And here is a teaser clip!

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Mar 2016, 14:54

Gunner and Macready fom the B Action Movie Thread on Chud.com give their opinion on this edition:

Gunner:
Speaking of Blu's I received my copy of the german platnium cult edition of MEN OF WAR. I popped it in the player last night and skimmed through the first half hour (just didn't have time to sit back and watch it all the way through) and was really impressed with what I saw. This is probably the best looking I've ever seen the film, and there's a ton of extras on here as well. Certainly worth the purchase. The same company has a blu-ray coming out of LIONHEART, advertising it as the twenty-fifth anniversary directors cut. Thinking about double dipping on that one. If you're a fan of MEN OF WAR than this blu-ray is the one to get.

Macready:
Like Gunner, i've been going through the Men of War Blu.

The film print itself is great, but not perfect. There are some tiny white specks that appear over the course of the film. I'm sure they could have removed them, but some of the detail of the picture would have been lost. I'm glad they didn't do that as the film benefits greater from the HD upgrade. I haven't seen the US Blu, but this quality adds to the film's production value, much in the same way that the Red Scorpion Blu did for that film. I enjoyed the film a lot more than I did previously and I loved the film before.

As for the extras, I don't see this getting better treatment anywhere else. Dolph interview is cut up into soundbites but he speaks enthusiastically about the film and his experiences. It's about 5 minutes in total. The interview with Jox is longer and he packs a lot of cool behind the scenes information into it. Some details I didn't know of before. There's a load of Pictures, Poster and Artwork, no doubt provided by Jox. There's also lots of trailers, pretty much all of them show off Charlotte Lewis in the waterfall. A generous package that will not likely be beaten unless someone like Arrow release it here in the UK (not going to happen). The booklet is in German, as you would expect, but it's a nice thing to have with the set.

The third disc is a bit of a head scratcher, though. It just appears to be a chopped up (74 minutes) German dub of the film on a DVD. It doesn't look as though it has any different footage and it comes across as unwatchable. I don't know what the point of that was.

Overall, this is a wonderful package that treats the film with respect and helps you appreciate the film more. You can't ask for better than that.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2016, 18:10

Jox wrote:
Jox wrote:An Unsafe Place: Making 'Men of War' (12:48, interview with yours truly)

And here is a teaser clip!

Clip 2 8)

https://www.platinumcultedition.com/...-vorbestellen/

http://www.medienversand.at/DVD/Gesa...03b178d5ea9d6c

http://www.amazon.de/Men-War-3D-Futu...dolph+lundgren
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 23 Mar 2016, 04:26

Steelbook arrived today! Used the cheapest shipping available from Amazon Germany and it came way sooner than I'd have figured. Looking forward to delving into the actual discs soon but the packaging by itself was worth the purchase. Love it.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 23 Mar 2016, 11:37

Cool, let us know your thoughts !
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 24 Mar 2016, 08:27

Went through a lot of the extras tonight. Good stuff. The Lundgren interview, though brief, is still a nice feature. Liked the kind words he had for Trevor Goddard.

Thoroughly enjoyed your "making of" interview, Jox. Full of tidbits I hadn't heard before, like the fleeting thought of casting Jeff Speakman alongside Dolph.

Still need to set aside some time for a proper rewatch of the film, but from the quick clips I did look at the picture quality is stunning.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 24 Mar 2016, 11:17

Moltisanti wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed your "making of" interview, Jox. Full of tidbits I hadn't heard before, like the fleeting thought of casting Jeff Speakman alongside Dolph.

Thanks, I'm glad you did!

The production of this film, though maybe not as tumultuous as RED SCORPION, was quite an adventure, and what you have here is only a very brief overview of the behind the scenes (and I'm grateful to the key people I talked to, especially director Perry Lang and producer Arthur Goldblatt, for sharing so much details and anecdotes over very long interviews)... ;)

The Speakman story is not the most important but will sure make people crack up. This is at a time when executive producer Moshe Diamant had a deal with him (I have a synopsis for a 1994 unproduced project between the two) and wanted to do something out of him and wanted to please him or something (and he didn't care about it making sense in the film: he actually hated the film apparently and only cared about the action)...
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies