MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Jox on 12 Feb 2012, 13:56

US LASERDISC

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Jun 2012, 17:43

FAN QUESTION OF THE DAY (from Humberto):
"What do you think about Perry Lang? "Men of War" is, for me, your best movie! When the next movie with him??"

ANSWER:
He did a great job and the location we shot the film in Thailand made it look fabulous.
/Dolph

(photo from my collection)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Jun 2012, 10:30

MEN OF WAR will be released by Echo Bridge on Blu-ray in a combo with a flick called TWO ZERO (with Sean Bean) in September. Not sure what the quality will be.

http://www.amazon.com/Men-War-Bravo-Zer ... h+lundgren

(We can expect BLACKJACK to come out from them in a similar combo since HIDDEN ASSASSIN was also released in a combo)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 28 Jun 2012, 14:45

Dolph could have looked really good in this film, if he didn't have that silly hairstyle. It looked like a hairstyle a jr. high skate boarder would have.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 28 Jun 2012, 15:11

It looks good in MOW or THE EXPENDABLES, but I agree it wasn't the best choice for PENTATHLON or THE SHOOTER/HIDDEN ASSASSIN.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 28 Jun 2012, 17:20

I'm just saying he was relatively young and still could have looked good in this with a decent haircut.

The film is another story though. For me, this is another one I really wanted to like but it just didn't do much for me.

I did have the poster for this film hanging on my bedroom wall in the 90's though.
Travis
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 30 Jun 2012, 01:01

Was this intended to be a major theatrical release? The production values seem fairly high, not to mention the talent involved. This is hands down Dolph's best performance.

On a somewhat related note, did Dolph have a distribution deal with Dimension Films at the time? They released three of his films consecutively -- MEN OF WAR, HIDDEN ASSASSIN, and BLACKJACK...
savagesketch

MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Mosquito on 30 Jun 2012, 01:32

I like his hair (not in The Shooter though), I think he really looked great and MoW is easily in his Top Five. Great movie with an awesome showdown fight.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 30 Jun 2012, 16:41

This is another one that I disagree with most people here. For me, this really wasn't all that great. I found it a but boring and lackluster in general.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Jun 2012, 19:44

savagesketch wrote:Was this intended to be a major theatrical release? The production values seem fairly high, not to mention the talent involved. This is hands down Dolph's best performance.

On a somewhat related note, did Dolph have a distribution deal with Dimension Films at the time? They released three of his films consecutively -- MEN OF WAR, HIDDEN ASSASSIN, and BLACKJACK...

I wouldn't say "major" but it was made as a theatrical film and was released theatrically almost worldwide except in the US, UK, Germany. Sony had it for the US and then Miramax bought it from them with a promise of a theatrical release, the film had excellent test screenings yet they ultimately decided not to give it a shot because they didn't believe people would go see a movie with Dolph as a hero.

Also time had passed between the time that the film was pre-sold (fairly high, it was a hot title in film markets) and shot (spring and fall 93) and it's release (spring summer 1995 in most countries). Dolph's aura had diminished considerably.

Dolph didn't have a deal with Miramax/Dimension, they just happened to be interested in those titles (produced by different companies) and probably thought they could make a buck with Dolph's flicks.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 01 Jul 2012, 00:42

Jox wrote:Dolph's aura had diminished considerably.

People were deaf and blind.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Coligion on 01 Jul 2012, 01:27

Jox wrote:MEN OF WAR will be released by Echo Bridge on Blu-ray in a combo with a flick called TWO ZERO (with Sean Bean) in September. Not sure what the quality will be.

http://www.amazon.com/Men-War-Bravo-Zer ... h+lundgren

I'm not keen to this being a double-pack, or the fact that Echo Bridge will release it, but at this point one can't be too picky. In my opinion, I don't mind double-packs when they house movies together from the same actor, but I don't like them otherwise. Also, Echo Bridge seems to release a number of films with altered aspect ratios and without lossless audio. I hope that is not the case here.

Mosquito wrote:I like his hair (not in The Shooter though), I think he really looked great and MoW is easily in his Top Five. Great movie with an awesome showdown fight.

I agree. I liked how he looked in this film, and also thought Terry Goddard was an excellent villain. Definitely would like to have this on Blu-Ray.
Coligion

Postby savagesketch on 01 Jul 2012, 08:15

Jox wrote:
savagesketch wrote:Was this intended to be a major theatrical release? The production values seem fairly high, not to mention the talent involved. This is hands down Dolph's best performance.

I wouldn't say "major" but it was made as a theatrical film and was released theatrically almost worldwide except in the US, UK, Germany. Sony had it for the US and then Miramax bought it from them with a promise of a theatrical release, the film had excellent test screenings yet they ultimately decided not to give it a shot because they didn't believe people would go see a movie with Dolph as a hero.

Also time had passed between the time that the film was pre-sold (fairly high, it was a hot title in film markets) and shot (spring and fall 93) and it's release (spring summer 1995 in most countries). Dolph's aura had diminished considerably.

Dolph didn't have a deal with Miramax/Dimension, they just happened to be interested in those titles (produced by different companies) and probably thought they could make a buck with Dolph's flicks.

It seems like delays are quite common with Miramax / Dimension films. I can think of a handful of films that have sat on the shelf for YEARS with them... Is there a definitive answer as to why these studios in comparison with all the others is notorious for such long delays?
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 01 Jul 2012, 10:53

All these companies can take weird decisions, they're pretty similar to the one I was working for in France (headed by the Hadida brothers also called the "French Weinsteins"). Miramax is also notorious for re-cutting films they distribute and that's what they did with THE SHOOTER/HIDDEN ASSASSIN taking out 15 mins out of it to fasten the pace, which is why there is two versions out of the film...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 02 Jul 2012, 00:11

They certainly make some weird decisions, especially with a lot of their genre titles... They've cut, recut, reshot, delayed (sometimes for years), and shuffled the releases of a ton of films. IMPOSTER, HIGHLANDER: ENDGAME, THEY, DARKNESS, TEXAS RANGERS, CURSED (which director Wes Craven went on the record and expressed his displeasure over the Weinstein's incessant reshoots and distribution), MINDHUNTERS, and VENOM to name a few... Not the best films, but still examples of the Weinsteins letting their egos get in the way, thinking they know what's best.

I realize we're getting way off topic here, but it is interesting that other countries have their versions of these guys... :D
savagesketch

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies