MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Stadanko on 18 Aug 2012, 06:14

Plan on it. Plus, waiting to see if anyone responses to my post on blu-ray.com.

edit:

someone on blu-ray.com confirmed it is indeed 1:78:1.
Stadanko

Postby Stadanko on 20 Aug 2012, 21:13

ok, I got ahold of the old Disney/BV widescreen release of "Men of War" today. I compared the movie shot for shot over this morning. this isn't a simple case of cropping or open matting. it's been literally REFRAMED. I unfortunately don't have the ability to do screen shots but take my word for it. I'm an anal retentive bastard . there's more info on the top for sure, and more info on the bottom, but the whole framing has moved to the left in some scenes.. meaning we see a lot more info on the left and part of the right that was on the dvd isn't there. However there are scenes where both sides ARE cropped. it's pretty obvious that it's not a hack and slash crop job but it's not a true open matte either. more like they completely reframed it.

So yeah I would hold off. Echo Bridge is so unorganized/clueless, that another release of this will likely fix this issue (stand alone version?). Equilibrium was released twice by them, they ended up fixing the OAR (2:35:1) in the 6 pack version, which coincidentally contains another lundgren film.

So I'm waiting.
Stadanko

Postby Coligion on 21 Aug 2012, 03:59

Stadanko wrote:So yeah I would hold off. Echo Bridge is so unorganized/clueless, that another release of this will likely fix this issue (stand alone version?). Equilibrium was released twice by them, they ended up fixing the OAR (2:35:1) in the 6 pack version, which coincidentally contains another lundgren film.

So I'm waiting.

Do you really think we might see a re-release of Men of War in stand-alone packaging or in some multi-pack release? This new two-pack version just came out with a string of other Miramax films housed as double-features. Men of War was the only one I had interest in. I wonder if any of the other titles suffer from the same problems?

Equilibrium has actually been released a whopping three times by Echo Bridge. I'm not sure if they kept recirculating the title out of all the fan's complaints, but I fear Men of War may not get the same attention by comparison.
Coligion

Postby Stadanko on 21 Aug 2012, 04:44

No doubt in my mind it will be released once again in some way. Probably a 6 pack instead but one can dream for the stand alone version.

Yep alot of those other two packs have issues too. Some have OAR issues and include cut versions of the films. This isn't the case for the crow pack their putting out. They have given that a new transfer, fixed the OAR, new audtio, and it's now the directors cut. So.... if they pay attention to something like crow city of angels. I think there is some hope here.
Stadanko

Postby Coligion on 21 Aug 2012, 06:10

Stadanko wrote:No doubt in my mind it will be released once again in some way. Probably a 6 pack instead but one can dream for the stand alone version.

Yep alot of those other two packs have issues too. Some have OAR issues and include cut versions of the films. This isn't the case for the crow pack their putting out. They have given that a new transfer, fixed the OAR, new audtio, and it's now the directors cut. So.... if they pay attention to something like crow city of angels. I think there is some hope here.

I suppose that is a good thing it is not just an isolated issue with Men of War. I already caved and picked up the Equilibrium found in the six-pack, so I'd be primed for another release this way for the future.
Coligion

Postby Coligion on 15 Sep 2012, 23:36

Stadanko wrote:As usual with echo bridge titles, some wal-mart stores have this out early (along with several other of their double features). I expect best buy will have these soon as well but $5 at wal-mart.

I came across this for $5 at Walmart, so I couldn't resist. All in all, it's not too bad of a release. I know most will be turned off by the 1.78:1 ratio, but that kind of stuff doesn't bug me like others. The video was noticeably sharper than my DVD and the audio seemed to have a little more punch, too. Be nice if it gets a stand alone release with original aspect ratio someday, but I'm pretty happy after only spending $5. :)
Coligion

Postby Jox on 19 Nov 2012, 15:36

Polish VHS
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Dec 2012, 11:53

Brazilian trailer
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 21 Dec 2012, 22:08

Stadanko wrote:No doubt in my mind it will be released once again in some way. Probably a 6 pack instead but one can dream for the stand alone version.

The Crow City of Angels looks good in their release? That was the best one in the series. If it really looks that good, maybe I should check it out.
Travis
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 22 Dec 2012, 23:36

Travis wrote:

The Crow City of Angels looks good in their release? That was the best one in the series. If it really looks that good, maybe I should check it out.

I'd say it's GREATLY inferior to the original Brandon Lee classic, but it's definitely incredibly underrated, and I have a lot of time for CoA.

If you go for the UK version, it's the director's cut, it has a better (excellent) transfer with no interlacing, great 5:1 and better features than the US one. Plus it's in a slipcase with Crow: Salvation in a seperate Blu-ray box, not like the US one which came with the godawful Wicked Prayer. It's priced at around 12 quid here, which is about 800 pesos in the phillipines I believe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crow-City-Angels-Salvation-Blu-ray/dp/B006C156HS/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1356208642&sr=1-2
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 09 Jan 2013, 02:34

Dubbed clip :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dida on 22 Mar 2013, 13:38

I have been in contact with a Dutch filmdistributor named Dutch Film Works. Since a year they are releasing some cult-movies on their label Cult Proof. I asked them what are the next releases and in June they mentioned Men Of War!

All the other Cult Proof releases here in Holland were also released on blu ray! This is the only thing I know so far..... I will keep you informed. It could be we have an dvd and blu ray release of Men Of War here in Holland in June.
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby Dida on 22 Mar 2013, 13:56

I just had a reply from my contactperson at Dutch Film Works. He confirmed that Men Of War will be on dvd and blu ray in Holland. Release will be June 18, 2013...
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby Jox on 22 Mar 2013, 14:57

Good news, yet I hope the quality is good then because I haven't heard great things about this company releases. But this means others will probably follow, a good MOW Blu-ray would be nice!
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies