MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR

Postby leigh1975 on 30 Mar 2009, 17:31

Nathan wrote:Brilliant review Leigh and awesome screenshots to go with it. Keep them coming mate.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/men-of-war.html

By the way Jox, thought you might be interested to know that Men of War entered the top 50 UK dvds in some stores across the UK.

Thanks for the kind words, Nathan. I'm really the only one flying the flag for this genre of movie on the site, and I'm hoping to look at Direct Contact when it comes out. I'd love to do a Dolph retrospective over there, but reviews are generally linked to recent releases. Bugger. :wink:

PS. I already thanked him, I'd like to thank Jox again in post form for letting me look at some great reference material for MOW. Top man!
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 30 Mar 2009, 17:49

Yeah you are the only one flying the flag. It's important to keep Dolph's name in the spotlight and you're helping to do that!
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 30 Mar 2009, 18:59

It really IS a very good review! Thorough and unbiased (wich is where I would have gone wrong)! Very nice!
Men of War is quite possibly my favourite Dolph movie too.

Here´s how my review of MOW would have gone;
"So, like, Dolph is like totally fckng awesome, or whatever, and that´s like, cool or whatever so, like this movie is totally awesome, or something, so, it´s like all good or whatever.Like explosions and stuff or whatever."

Your´s is better. (marginally) Good work!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 30 Mar 2009, 19:28

dolphage wrote:
Your´s is better. (marginally) Good work!

Well, It's not bad, considering the fact that when I type, I don't use my hands, preferring to randomly bang away at the keyboard with the tip of my nose. I have it down to a fine art now, but my first article was a bit rough around the edges, titled "2khguk8&^^&*^9?@".
leigh1975

Postby dolphage on 30 Mar 2009, 22:23

You wrote "2khguk8&^^&*^9?@"?! That´s my favourite article on the dangers of time travel! I found particular joy and emotional comfort in this passage; "^^&*^9". Genious.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Mar 2009, 22:47

Nathan wrote:Brilliant review Leigh and awesome screenshots to go with it. Keep them coming mate.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/men-of-war.html

By the way Jox, thought you might be interested to know that Men of War entered the top 50 UK dvds in some stores across the UK.

Great review, our other finest critic Tom better watch out!

For a title that's not new it's great to hear it got in the top 50 charts, especially a fine piece like MEN OF WAR that cam almost unnoticed back then and deserves proper recognition, not only among Dolph classics but as a movie on its own (one you can quote and recommend to anybody)!

Thankfully with the "unheard of" Dolph actuality this year, I feel there's a trend starting with people more and more willing to revisit Dolph's filmography (and I hope there's also gonna be descent Blu-ray releases to help it too)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 31 Mar 2009, 00:41

Jox wrote:
Thankfully with the "unheard of" Dolph actuality this year, I feel there's a trend starting with people more and more willing to revisit Dolph's filmography (and I hope there's also gonna be descent Blu-ray releases to help it too)...

I think it's becoming increasingly apparent recently that Dolph never lacked the respect from the audience and critics, simply the distribution.
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 31 Mar 2009, 01:10

Oh he did lack the respect from the audience and critics but for sure there's always been an issue with marketing and distribution.

In the case of MEN OF WAR it just came a few years too late, Dolph's name already getting forgotten and ignored in the mainstream. But it was actually the one Dolph movie that got good reviews when it came out in France but nobody cared and the film was marketed as an average stupid action movie and was released at the worse time of year and the average per screen was really low so it got almost finished after one week (worse would be THE SHOOTER one year later and with terrible reviews). As for the US, the film did very well in test screenings, Miramax bought the movie back from another company with a promise of a theatrical release that they never kept so they dumped it on video supposedly just because they didn't believe Dolph would draw people as a lead hero...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 31 Mar 2009, 01:27

Hopefully he'll prove all those people wrong some day...soon hopefully.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Craigie-Boy on 31 Mar 2009, 03:09

Well, if it doesn't happen soon, then it probably won't happen at all. Dolph isn't getting any younger, and the action roles will only keep coming his way for so much longer.

Then again, if Sly can keep up the tough guy routine at over 60, then Dolph has a good few years left in him yet!

As for not believing that DL will draw audiences as a lead hero, that just seems like conjecture on the part of the studios. How do they KNOW he "won't draw an audience" if none of them are willing to give him a chance? Surely at least one studio should take a chance on him by casting him in a low-to-average budget film and releasing it theatrically. If it indeed does draw crowds, then great, others can follow suit, and who knows what that could lead to?
Many people said the same thing about Arnie during his early career - that he would never be able to hold a movie on his own without other stars around to engage the viewers' interest. And yet he became one of the biggest stars in the world, and not because of his stellar acting prowess, either.
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Jox on 31 Mar 2009, 10:10

Craigie-Boy wrote:
Many people said the same thing about Arnie during his early career - that he would never be able to hold a movie on his own without other stars around to engage the viewers' interest.

It didn't last 20 years though. That wasn't a different era too I mean arrived kind of in between: after Sly and Arnold, before JCVD and SS and didn't have any anything particular or new to bring onto the table so for most people he was just recycled poor man's Schwarzenegger, and then soon the demand for muscular heroes stopped when you had Keanu Reeves (Speed), Will Smith (Bad Boys) etc...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 31 Mar 2009, 11:11

But that´s excactly what´s bringing about the "ols shcool" action films coming back in the first place. The very same principle that made them outdated 15 years ago now brings the cycle around to bring them back into fashion. It won´t last forever this time either, but DL (and Sly and the rest) are still around for a piece of the pie, this time around aswell.
It goes in cycles, and it´s time again! We´ll see some over the top "superhuman" action heroes for a while. And I can´t wait!
Keanu Reeves can go fck himself! And Will Smith can do another season of Fresh Prince... And THEN go fck himself! It´s time for the Big Boys to take over again!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 01 Apr 2009, 16:13

While the new school action movies like Bourne are very good, they are a little too earnest, I think people are looking for fun again in the genre, and the stars we like definitely didn't take themselves too seriously.
leigh1975

Postby dolphage on 01 Apr 2009, 19:05

I LOVE the Bourne movies and to be honest I like the "average guy in extreme circumstances" concept, there´s definately more at stake if you are NOT a superhuman easily mowing through an army of henchman. But I´ve missed the one man army type of film aswell. I like both, really, but sometimes you´ve gotta take a stand and I´d choose the D-man over Matt Damon any old day of the week.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 01 Apr 2009, 19:43

dolphage wrote:and I´d choose the D-man over Matt Damon any old day of the week.

At the time of GOOD WILL HUNTING I remember thinking something like "this Matt Damon seems like a nice guy, but he probably couldn't be cast as an action hero"! Wow I was so wrong on this one but could have thought he would be starring in the next spy action trilogy?!
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies