THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

Postby lt.brannigan on 17 Jul 2018, 04:03

Possibly, but i didn't even see a button to add to my watchlist.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 23 Jul 2018, 15:27

ART OF THE CUT with Oscar nominee, Mark Goldblatt, ACE
https://www.provideocoalition.com/art-o ... blatt-ace/
HULLFISH: You were second unit director on Robocop and you directed Dead Heat and The Punisher. How did your editing skills translate to being a better director?

GOLDBLATT: My editing skills tell me what I think I need to make a scene better. Of course, as an editor, you’re dealing with a film that’s already shot, so you’re a little late in the game to be writing out a list of shots that you wish you had. One of the things that editing gives you is an understanding of the different pieces of film and what you want to cover a scene with. As the storyteller, you want to highlight aspects of the story or the psychology of the story, or the psychology of the characters involved in the story — the conflict and the quest and the mystery of the film. How would you tell this story? There’s a billion different ways in which to do it. In editing, you know what those ways are, just by compartmentalizing it into the type of building blocks or shots that you have to make the final picture. They’re rudimentary skills in a sense.

You can manipulate space and time. You can jump into the future or the past. You can tell stories linearly or not. A lot of times people make the analogy between making clothing and making a movie. A movie is a suit made out of whole cloth. You start with a concept. You cut it to a design pattern. You put the pieces together, trying to make them work together — making a great piece of clothing or a great piece of cinema. It’s a magical mystery tour. It’s technological. It’s intellectual. It’s spiritual. You can be very decisive in what you’re doing and methodical: I will go to this close up of the hand coming down, and now a big close-up of the quill of the pen.

It’s all based on the script, but once you shoot the script you’re in another place. You have the script; it’s on the table. But THIS is what you’ve shot and this is what you’ve got to make a movie out of. You can manipulate that footage. You can add new lines of dialogue. You can add shots to it if you have the time or the inclination or the inspiration and keep making it better and better and better. You get in tune with the process and it tells you when to make the next cut. You’re finding the rhythms. You let the universe speak to you and tell you where to make the next cut. It creates the next layer of storytelling.

Editing a movie during dailies is a race against time. You need to deliver intelligence and feedback to your filmmaking collaborators concerning what has already been shot, and about what might be needed in addition. You’ve got to let them know.

HULLFISH: On the shows you directed, what was your relationship with your editor?

GOLDBLATT: The best projects I’ve worked on and the best collaborations I’ve had are occasions when the director lets me loose to do my thing. When I direct, I need to take advantage of the editor’s objectivity. They’re fresh to the material. They have no emotional investment in the creation of that material. They don’t care how many hours that you spent on set to get this great crane shot. The director wants it in the movie because of how long it took to get. The editor knows the movie is better off without it.

You’ve got to be ruthless with the material, because you’re making a movie. It’s a process in which you’re sifting and winnowing through the material and responding to it in ways that you didn’t know you were going to be responding to because the material takes on a life of its own.

https://cdn.provideocoalition.com/app/u ... r-1989.jpg
Jeroen Krabbe wraps the punisher 1989 which Goldblatt directed.

HULLFISH: Why did you choose not to co-edit with those editors that you worked with? Or did you, and you were just uncredited?

GOLDBLATT: I did do behind-the-scenes editing, because I couldn’t resist and I think I’m pretty good at it. Why wouldn’t I want to utilize myself? Of course I want to edit my own movie, but I’m also in collaboration with another person. That is key to the moviemaking process. It’s such a collaborative process, and one of the things that you get is a type of objectivity that the editor comes to it with a fresh perspective that’s different than yours.

You, as the director, already have a perspective. You created the shot-list. You did the storyboards. You conceptualized what your intention was with that footage, and you conceptualized how that footage would be shot. Then you shot it and interacted with the actors and they had their input. Different things happened: the sun went down too fast and you lost your light. You had to make the scene work even though you didn’t get to shoot everything on your shot-list. Whatever it is that happened, you now have a new reality. You have to deal with the film in a new way.

That’s where the collaboration with somebody who has objectivity can help you. As a director, I want an editor to show me what they’re thinking, not what they think I want to see. I know what I want. Tell me something new. Show me what you think is working and what isn’t. Take the opportunity to make this movie project YOUR movie project as well. Imprint your identity into it, too. That’s collaboration.

I respect the work that my collaborators do. I give them the space to do what they do and then we argue and we disagree, then compromise and move on. That’s healthy creative collaboration.. Let’s find the best possible way to present each moment in the movie.

https://cdn.provideocoalition.com/app/u ... rshall.jpg
Punisher set w Brian Marshall – Goldblatt directing.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jul 2018, 21:49

Jox wrote:
Jox wrote:Japanese special edition coming on September 4 8)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07C81WCL4/

2-discs set including:
- the Uncut theatrical release,
- the R-rated version,

Special packaging,
booklet (program reprint?),
mini-poster,

and existing extras produced from the German release:
- director's commentary,
- the longer workprint cut,
- behind the scenes reel (aka "gag reel"),
- trailers

Official page from distributor:
http://www.happinet-p.com/jp3/releases/HPXR-255

From Google Translate, it seems the workprint cut will be featured in 2 versions, the vintage Beta tape transfer, and a re-edit with the available HD footage from the final feature film...

Reversible cover:

Trailer for 4 upcoming Japanese Blu-ray releases including THE PUNISHER
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jul 2018, 19:52

Closing on the VHS to Blu-ray retrospective: the Blu-rays

(my apologies to you for being a bad influence, lt.brannigan ;) )
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Jul 2018, 21:36

The textless 1989 art commissioned by "L'Ecran Fantastique" mag by cult artist Laurent Melki
https://www.melki.org/product-page/poster-johnny

The original magazine cover and French book:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Jul 2018, 20:01

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlvuYxzhKdY ... ofamblanco
theartofamblanco
"The Punisher" - alternative movie poster Preliminary Rough Concept pencil sketch- this is another unfinished movie poster project from 2016, I loved this movie as a kid and always wanted to do my own movie poster of it. I hope to finish it in oils sometime late 2018 or early 2019

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Aug 2018, 21:20

Jox wrote:Apparently it's now on Netflix!
Anybody to confirm it's the 1989 movie?

https://www.netflix.com/title/70000803

Still nothing?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 04 Aug 2018, 00:43

Nothing.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 07 Aug 2018, 16:56

Producer Gale Anne Hurd (THE TERMINATOR 1 & 2) on THE PUNISHER 1989 and 2004:
“First of all, I have to say that the gentleman who directed that movie is a very close friend of mine, Mark Goldblatt, who edited ‘The Terminator,’ ‘Terminator 2’ and ‘Armageddon’,” Hurd said. “So I think that all I can say is that the movie wasn’t released theatrically here and the awareness level is primarily among the fans of the comic book. And if you read the boards, as I do, there are a lot of people who actually liked that film. We made an entirely different film. The inspiration was different. Frank Castle obviously wears a skull iconic logo a lot, which Dolph Lundgren didn’t, so I think they’re two completely different movies, two completely different tones.”

www.comingsoon.net/extras/features/4218 ... e-punisher
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2018, 21:00

Filming commenced 30 years ago!

Rare behind the scenes pic:

Day 1 was shooting this tense scene with Nancy Everhard:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Aug 2018, 17:35

Punisher comics relaunch artist Greg Smallwood to me:
I didn't actually intend for the likeness to be as strong as it is but the positive reaction to the first cover encouraged me to maintain it for future covers. I don't want to do an exact likeness but Dolph's portrayal is definitely archetypal for me - he's my favorite cinematic Punisher.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 25 Aug 2018, 18:50

That's awesome, makes me wish Dolph kept playing the Punisher for a few years. Cause that last cover clearly takes it's visual cues from more recent Dolph pictures.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2018, 11:41

First look at the Japanese Blu-ray edition coming on September 4 8)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Pwnisher on 31 Aug 2018, 09:11

I just preordered the Japanese Punisher bluray from yesasia.com. I used the Honey app coupon code NEWFACEBOOK2 and saved $2. Hey, it's something, isn't it?
Pwnisher

Postby Jox on 31 Aug 2018, 11:24

Cool! 8)

For those interested, YesAsia offers free shipping internationally
https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-puni ... /info.html
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies