THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

Postby alex.sp89 on 16 Jan 2022, 14:55

HI and Happy New Year 2022 to all of u members and admin. Maybe late but better than never. Was out of country and busy. Let the new year bring new hope and peace during this hard time all over the world and pandemic.
I was wondering will we ever get the US official Blu ray release of the Punisher (1989) in a new 2k, 4k or UHD HDR release. Honestly as I said before New World Pictures catalog was bad transferred before. But recently I purchased Wanted Dead or Alive (1987) starring Rutger Hauer in Blu ray from Kino Lorber and I would want to say I was really impressed. This movie is also New World Pictures MP and it was very good treated - much better than the German Blu Ray edition of the same movie released before. Now I wait for the 4K release of The HItcher (1986) again with Hauer which was terrible treated again on German BD because they couldn't find original elements negatives. Finally thru WB team who owns HBO now they found the masters in their vaults.
I really want Kino Lorber to release The Punisher (1989) in the US. The Minion (1998) transfer was also good ...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 17 Jan 2022, 21:24

It's a tricky question and my investigation did not provide me many answers except that Lionsgate still has the US domestic rights.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Jan 2022, 12:16

It appears THE PUNISHER '89 is now streaming on Disney Plus in Sweden and perhaps other European territories.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 19 Jan 2022, 18:26

If Lionsgate owns it in the US then a small chance to get a good transfer any soon. They remaster in bulk cheap and medium quality old movies from their catalog ( a lot of artifacts -scratches, dirt, color damages on footage). Only if Lerner from Millenium having business colab. with Lionsgate can say his word in this re-master and release in the US of The Punisher 89. Taking in consideration they are doing all together the Expendables franchise right now, with Lundgren...
alex.sp89

Postby alex.sp89 on 27 Jan 2022, 23:02

Talking about Mark Goldblatt I have to say Vinegar Syndrome finally released Dead Heat 4K which I consider a very good transfer. Great upgrade to the earlier BD transfer (one of the worst I saw in my life), Good job Vinegar - I noticed they improved the quality of some old B action flicks like Martial Law 1-2 (much better again than German earlier release). Yes The Punisher is a MUST 4k for the future. If i am not wrong admin U are active on blu-ray.com under Jerry Dam nick ?
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 28 Jan 2022, 11:40

Vinegar Syndrome (and their label Fun City) is a fantastic company, I couldn't dream for any better distributor to gloriously release THE PUNISHER in 4K, if only they could snatched the rights away from Lionsgate...

If i am not wrong admin U are active on blu-ray.com under Jerry Dam nick ?

Maybe...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Feb 2022, 19:57

Rare finds from the production thanks to cast and crew members.
Notice the fake wedding photo meant as a decoration prop, you can't even see it in the workprint cuts...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 09 Feb 2022, 21:07

Really cool pics. Seeing all this pics with Frank Castle family make me feel this movie was intended more story driven revenge movie. The tone was more serious ( drama of Frank Castle especially with that dark speech mad eyes deleted ending ) and in result ended to be more a fast paced action movie and Louis Gossett Jr. character out of place, undeveloped a bit . When they switch the gears in genre and tone I think Gossett didn't want to do some re-shots or wasn't asked by producers or director because he wouldn't do it for free because he was an Oscar recipient ( he used to say Oscar gave him opportunity never to get a job for less than 1 million dollar). Or maybe am I wrong ?
alex.sp89

Postby lhz on 13 Feb 2022, 19:48

Jox wrote:Vinegar Syndrome (and their label Fun City) is a fantastic company, I couldn't dream for any better distributor to gloriously release THE PUNISHER in 4K, if only they could snatched the rights away from Lionsgate...

Synapse and Kino Lorber would be 2 great candidates aswell IMO. The release of Suspiria for the first mentioned is pure madness and the purest 4K restoration I've ever watched for old movies along with Shining, 2001 and Blade Runner.
But we already know that as they blasted us at the time with their yet unmatched HD edition of RED SCORPION. 8)
lhz

Postby Jox on 14 Feb 2022, 18:53

We already know that Synapse won't go through the trouble for this one, Kino Lorber would be awesome, I mentioned Vinegar notably because THE PUNISHER and its 70s exploitation feel seemed to fit better with the kind of title they'd go for... But firstly it depends on what Lionsgate does with it and if they're likely to sublicense the rights. :|
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 15 Feb 2022, 09:28

The Punisher Cast of Characters | Illustration | by Marten Go
Attachments
f623fd70b08fa3f10f657e77d716d616.jpg
f623fd70b08fa3f10f657e77d716d616.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
alex.sp89

Postby lhz on 16 Feb 2022, 16:32

Jox wrote:But firstly it depends on what Lionsgate does with it and if they're likely to sublicense the rights. :|

This is really weird they still haven't sublicensed the rights in US as they did in EU...
Knowing that a territory as US still didn't get any HD release feels like an anomaly.
lhz

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2022, 18:07

Lionsgate only has North American rights.

It's Fox (therefore Disney now) who has owned the worldwide rights since 2012, which have been handled on their behalf by sales agents Hollywood Classics and now Park Circus.

But it still doesn't explain why Lionsgate hasn't done anything with it (would have been perfect when the Netflix series came out)... :?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 16 Feb 2022, 21:40

I guess we will never now what is holding Lionsgate to releasing it (especially when you own a Marvel brand).

I would not be surprised that Disney would diffuse it more largely through their platform Disney+ in a close future, they won't keep it only on the Swedish Disney+ forever.

As I never bought the classy Japanese blu ray edition, do you think the German one still remain the reference edition (with quality transfer and bonus all in the balance) or does the Japanese one now compete on the same level of overall quality and contents ?
I am pretty concerned that I still own the best edition for this classic. :mrgreen:
lhz

Postby Jox on 17 Feb 2022, 11:29

lhz wrote:I would not be surprised that Disney would diffuse it more largely through their platform Disney+ in a close future, they won't keep it only on the Swedish Disney+ forever.

Apparently it's not just on Disney+ in Sweden but in several European territories.

lhz wrote:As I never bought the classy Japanese blu ray edition, do you think the German one still remain the reference edition (with quality transfer and bonus all in the balance) or does the Japanese one now compete on the same level of overall quality and contents ?
I am pretty concerned that I still own the best edition for this classic. :mrgreen:

Image-wise, the transfer is the same as the second German fully HD uncut version, but the Japanese disc has a better track in lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0 instead of Dolby Digital 2.0...

The special features are the same (workprint cut, audio commentary, BTS reel, trailers) but the Japanese edition adds a couple of separate deleted scenes that are not on the workprint and that apparently were in a version once broadcasted on Japanese television. (These scenes are therefore dubbed in Japanese.)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies