THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Moltisanti on 20 Aug 2005, 09:55

I like both movies a lot. I'm a big fan of the comic but it was the Lundgren movie that got me interested in the comic. I'd stack them up like this:

Lundgren: Very good as the "dead inside" vigilante that is most often seen in the comic. He doesn't say a lot but that's true to the character. Of course when he does speak it's usually worth listening. "Work in progress."

Jane: He did a great job of showing Frank Castle become the Punisher. In fact the only time he is ever referred to as the Punisher is in the last line of the film. It's true that he was only after the people who killed his family but that should be his first reaction to their murders. I can't wait to see how Jane does in the sequel.

Both actors did a great job playing their type of Punisher. It's like Michael Keaton and Christian Bale playing Batman. Both are good for different reasons so there is no need for some rivalry between Jane and Lundgren. I'd really like to see them do a movie together at some point, maybe Lundgren playing a villain again.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Sep 2005, 05:05

THE CD IS NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER AT AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BBOTN2/

AN SACD (SUPER AUDIO CD) WITH 5.1 SOUND (!) IS AVAILABLE FROM TARANTULA RECORDS

http://www.tarantula-records.com/cgi-bin/order.cgi

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 21 Sep 2005, 08:24

Most releases I take with a grain of salt anymore. Seems like everything I hope to be released anymore either gets delayed or canceled.
I'm glad to see this come out.

I really like movie scores, but I'm sort of ecletic in what I get. Themes like this make up most of them, then there is scores like in the movie "Batteries Not Included" that I have been trying to track down for years for a good price. That one is totally different!
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

"Punisher" computer

Postby Dawn on 26 Sep 2005, 23:47

So, I happened to see this today and I thought of the Punisher. The computer case is actually called the Phantom, but it looks like a rip-off of the Punisher to me.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... -naproduct
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

WIN THE PUNISHER SOUNDTRACK CD !

Postby Jox on 29 Nov 2005, 23:56

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION HERE

http://www.annecarlini.com/ex_giveaways.php
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Nov 2005, 07:45

Perseverance Records press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE PUNISHER SOUNDTRACK, COMPOSED BY DENNIS DREITH TO BE RELEASED BY PERSEVERANCE RECORDS ON NOVEMBER 15

Composed by Dennis Dreith, the Soundtrack To Be Released For the First Time on CD

(November 4, 2005- Los Angeles, CA) – Perseverance Records is pleased to announce the first-ever release of the long-awaited, much asked for soundtrack for THE PUNISHER. The film was an adaptation of a Marvel Comics character and starred Dolph Lundgren in the title role. The CD, which contains music composed by Dennis Dreith, will be in stores on November 15.

“If society won’t punish the guilty, he will”.

In 1989, New World Pictures took a gamble on a new comic book hero. The Punisher debuted as a character in an issue of Spiderman in 1974. Eventually, Marvel Comics would create a comic book line all its own in the 1980s. New World Pictures, seeing how DC Comics characters had fared on-screen with their comic-turned movie projects, bought the rights to and began production on a film version of THE PUNISHER, with Dolph Lundgren (ROCKY IV, MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE) cast in the title role and Louis Gossett Jr. (AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN) as his ex-partner on the force. Unfortunately, New World went bankrupt soon after the film was completed, and as a result it never received a theatrical release in the U.S. It was subsequently released in America on video in 1991 and DVD in 1999, and has achieved cult status since then.

Now, some fifteen years after audiences were first introduced to Frank Castle, a.k.a. The Punisher, the soundtrack recording will finally be released! Composer Dennis Dreith worked closely with director Mark Goldblatt to create a rhythmically propulsive backdrop to the film’s exciting action. After a lengthy mission to track down the master tapes, and necessary restorative work on the masters, it finally debuts on CD, with extensive liner notes and an exclusive audio interview with both Dreith and Goldblatt.

“Resurrecting the score from the original safety masters was most gratifying. It's really great to hear the score again after all these years in it's full glory, especially since the only copy previously available was the mono home video release. Now with the release of the CD, the score can finally be heard the way we intended it,” says Dreith. “I owe a debt of gratitude to Robin Esterhammer and Perseverance Records for bringing this score back to life. Connecting again with Mark Goldblatt to do the audio interview on this collectors CD was a real added treat."

On Perseverance Records, THE PUNISHER Original Motion Picture Score, composed by Dennis Dreith, will be released on November 15, 2005.

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
Jox
Site Admin

THE PUNISHER Korean DVD

Postby Jox on 17 Dec 2005, 04:02

does anyone have the Korean DVD? is the sound better then the mono region 1?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby BrunnenMatt on 17 Dec 2005, 13:48

Hey Jox,

I have the Korean disc and it includes the same audio track as the R1 disc, the only difference is the Production Notes and Biographies/Filmographies are in Korean.

The DVD cover also labels the sound track as a Surround track like the US cover. This is also the R-Rated Theatrical cut of the movie.

The soundtrack sounds pretty good especially with the ninjas throwing those spike balls on the harbor and the explosions, but unfortunately the soundtrack is very soft in some parts.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Dec 2005, 22:14

Jox
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 22 Dec 2005, 16:57

The old one kicks the new one's ass on so many levels (other than possibly the opening credits).
-The old one doesn't take 17 minutes to get to he point.
-John Travolta just seemed bored with his role, while Jeroen was able to go from evil to fatherly and then evil again with graceful style.
-Dolph Lundgren had the perfect voice and body to make a seriously intimidating Punisher, while Thomas was only scary when he had a gun in his hand.
-There are more people killed, and in a more comic-book way too.
-Ninjas.
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Funny spoof of Dolph's Punisher movie.

Postby Tom on 09 Mar 2006, 23:48

Tom
Regular

Postby Craigie-Boy on 10 Mar 2006, 02:26

Hmm.
Well, it's...different.
Think I need a shower after watching it though.... :wink:
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Tom on 10 Mar 2006, 11:52

I needed two!

Go Dolph Dinglemyer!
Tom
Regular

Postby BrunnenMatt on 24 Mar 2006, 20:51

I notice yesterday that this is being released in R2, and it is listed as Uncut! Hopefully this will be confirmed since it is only available in the R-Rated form so far, not including unofficial releases of course :wink:.

It was listed as being available in a digi-pack what sounded interesting, and a releases date of 19.5.2006 :). It must be a German release since it included a German 5.1 track and only an English 2.0 track, but I am still stoked if it will be finally release Uncut :D.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 24 Mar 2006, 21:44

where did you find that info?
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies