THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Tom on 04 Jun 2007, 15:15

Excellent find. I can see why they were cut, for pacing reason's, though personally I'd like to see them put into a new cut of the film as I think they feature some of Dolph's best acting moments. Krabbe and Gossett Jr brought the best out of Dolph in the scenes they shared, so some extra scenes between Dolph and Gossett Jr would have been more than welcome.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 04 Jun 2007, 15:46

Shortly after filming the movie, Dolph also said he really liked those scenes, being a normal guy with his family and all.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 16 Jun 2007, 12:03

Without a doubt some of the best/most important scenes of the movie. Pretty much all the emotional investment of the audience gets lost without this build up.
And it is very well written and acted. INSANELY well written and acted for a Marvel movie in the late eighties. It has real charm and warmth and truly makes us sympathize with the Dolpherato and care about the outcome of the movie.
(I care and sympathize with the Punisher anyway just cause I like to watch Mr. Lundgren dish out the Dolphage and kill people, and I think he should have an unlimited license to kill even in real life)
But...
It´s difficult to say how much these scenes would have slowed down the movie. I think it would have been worth it.
dolphage
Regular

Postby dvdvision on 09 Jul 2007, 18:02

No one ever complained of the absence of the original X-Men costumes in the X-Men movie, I fail to see why many complains about the same thing in the original Punisher.

Plus one look at Thomas Jane in his medium sized skull t shirt, confirms that it looks silly as Robert Kamen said it would. Boaz Yakin should be proud, instead of bickering on details of no importance. The essence of the character is all that count.
dvdvision

Postby The_Canadian on 10 Jul 2007, 04:27

dvdvision wrote:No one ever complained of the absence of the original X-Men costumes in the X-Men movie, I fail to see why many complains about the same thing in the original Punisher.

You have no idea how many times I have used this very same argument.
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby dvdvision on 26 Jul 2007, 15:36

I just got hold of the Japanese LD in pristine mint form.

Once I get my hands back on my old LP player, I'll post impressions, but apparently, it is the only NTSC copy out there totally uncut (without ugly inserts in lower shape than the movie) and in bombastic stereo !
dvdvision

The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren) vs. The Punisher (Thomas Jane)

Postby dolphage on 28 Sep 2007, 16:19

Found this:

http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/ ... eek-80.htm

"The Top 5 Movie Match-Ups We Want to See"
Scroll to the bottom of the page for this guys version of what would happen if DL´s Punisher met Jane´s.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Geoff on 28 Sep 2007, 16:51

The outcome is how we would have liked.

Although (and I know this has been done) Jane did make a damn good Frank.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Rover on 28 Sep 2007, 19:01

Haha, pretty funny website :)
Lundgren was better as the Punisher, he was darker, more lunatic and threatening than Jane...He even looked a bit like Elvis :lol:
But the storyline of the 2005 version was better.
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Geoff on 01 Oct 2007, 09:59

Thats because the story came direct from a Punisher Comic already written by Gareth Ennis.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Jox on 01 Oct 2007, 10:48

Tell me if I'm wrong but there wasn't any Ennis' Punisher at the time of Lundgren's...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 01 Oct 2007, 18:35

Jox wrote:Tell me if I'm wrong but there wasn't any Ennis' Punisher at the time of Lundgren's...

You're right, Ennis is one of the most recent writer in this serie :)
Too bad, one of his stories adapted as an 80s action flick would have kicked ass indeed
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Geoff on 01 Oct 2007, 19:49

Sorry not being clear Ennis wrote the verison (known as Welcome Back Frank) which was largley used for the 2004 verison (including Mr Bumbo, Dave & Joan) other bits were just made up not the DL verison.
Geoff
Regular

Postby Rover on 04 Oct 2007, 12:01

Geoff wrote:Sorry not being clear Ennis wrote the verison (known as Welcome Back Frank)

Huh! I understood why they want to call the new movie Welcome back Frank :D
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Geoff on 04 Oct 2007, 16:21

I think they do yes, there was more to that story that was not covered in the 2004 film.
Geoff
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies