COVER-UP (Manny Coto, 1990)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: COVER-UP (Manny Coto, 1990)

Postby Tom on 14 Sep 2023, 21:26

I did definitely get Punisher vibes from the intro and that's always been part I really liked. There are a lot of great atmospheric parts in Cover Up, but yeah they just asked too much of the audience with the final twists. I think perhaps that's what spoils the dramatic clocktower finish for me. Because visually, Dolph making his way through those packed streets is eye catching for sure.

I think the main thing that nudges The Shooter above this for me, is Maruschka Detmers. She really elevates it. Assumpta Serna is also really good in the film, making a lot from a small but memorable role.

Both are kind of nearly but not quite. I love Israel as a setting (and we get a sense of it that we don't in Last Patrol for example) and I also love Prague as a setting too. I'm chatting with Sean on I Must Break This Podcast about The Tracker soon and interestingly I felt that had potential but was way wide of the mark of even Cover Up and The Shooter. And also it's way below Hidden Agenda as far as Dolph's conspiracy thriller films (And it's a genre I love too).
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 15 Sep 2023, 19:06

Tom wrote:I think the main thing that nudges The Shooter above this for me, is Maruschka Detmers. She really elevates it. Assumpta Serna is also really good in the film, making a lot from a small but memorable role.

He certainly was facing actresses with a solid acting background in theater and auteur films (whom I'm still surprised accepted to be in this movie considering their type of work), not former models or wannabees.

Both are kind of nearly but not quite. I love Israel as a setting (and we get a sense of it that we don't in Last Patrol for example) and I also love Prague as a setting too.

Yup, the other strong assets of these two.

I'm chatting with Sean on I Must Break This Podcast about The Tracker soon and interestingly I felt that had potential but was way wide of the mark of even Cover Up and The Shooter.

Yeah, it could have and totally missed the mark, the location choice and orchestral score are probably its two redeeming qualities.

Icon's newly edited trailer

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Mar 2024, 22:28

Have you ever thought that the COVER-UP title sequence (and music) was in the same vein as THE PUNISHER's?
https://www.instagram.com/p/C48ppiVh7Au/
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies