BLACKJACK (John Woo, 1998, TV pilot)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BLACKJACK (John Woo, 1998, TV pilot)

Postby Scorpio on 03 Feb 2024, 12:04

Honestly, I think that in general, the video quality of the previous edition was better.
During the first half of the film, it is true that the new edition may be "somewhat" better, but in the second half of the film, it is worse. I prefer the video from the previous edition, the audio is the same in both editions.
These video captures are from the previous edition, in the image, you can see more grain and generally a little more blurry, but I still prefer this to those "stripes" that appear in the video of the new edition.

Scorpio

Postby JuV on 03 Feb 2024, 14:42

Scorpio wrote:This new edition also comes with the Blu-ray disc of the previous edition, so you can get both.

I didn't know that! I thought all the discs were the new transfer. Shame this release isn't any better...
JuV

Postby Jox on 04 Feb 2024, 19:15

Scorpio wrote:Image

Notice how the title fonts have been changed from the original ones...

Moltisanti wrote:Sorry to hear this edition doesn’t measure up. It’s a movie I’d like to upgrade over the DVD but I’ll continue waiting.

I think I've said it before but because the final product was edited and mastered in SD video, I wouldn't expect a proper HD version to ever come out (and it's not big enough to warrant going back to the film dailies and scan them to then re-edit the film, it costs way too much money for a pilot that isn't "Friends")... I would like to be wrong but I doubt it, and anything else will be some kind of upscale, and now AI might be involved.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Leigh2704 on 05 Feb 2024, 13:28

It appears to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm actually pretty happy with what's on offer on the new set. It's never seen the light of day outside of VHS here in the UK and probably never will, so I'm just pleased to have all these unseen by me versions of the film such as the 90 minute cut. I wasn't expecting 4K visuals considering the source prints anyway.
Leigh2704

Postby Scorpio on 06 Feb 2024, 19:22

Well, I didn't expect a 4K image either, but I did expect a better image than the image in the previous edition, just as Digidreams promised.
The image at 1:85 is a scam, the only thing they have done is apply a "zoom" to the image by cropping it from above and below...
And the 4/3 version has only been improved during the first half of the film, in the rest only some "filters" with Artificial Intelligence were applied, which unfortunately did not turn out well.
Obviously it is better than a VHS or a DvD, but I insist, generally speaking, I prefer the previous edition to this new one.
Scorpio

Postby JuV on 24 Mar 2024, 00:16

Isn't a "scanavo box" just a somewhat regular DVD/Blu-ray case? At first I thought it was a mediabook or hartbox, but no. There's nothing really special about this. Just a re-release of the most recent edition (which is still in stock I believe?).
JuV

Postby Jox on 24 Mar 2024, 12:24

It's what Criterion uses. It is very similar than standard Amaray except that it's fully transparent and doesn't have the Blu-ray logo on top so the cover can take all the space (and the spine is a bit larger).
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies