WANTED MAN (Dolph Lundgren, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WANTED MAN (Dolph Lundgren, 2023)

Postby Jox on 29 Jan 2024, 20:26

Wow, I just received my Blu-ray from Denmark almost 2 weeks before the official release date (Feb 12)! I know what to watch tonight! 8)
(And it fits well because two days ago I got my US copy of SHOWDOWN AT THE GRAND so I can watch them in chronological order of which they were filmed -- I'm that picky haha.)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Feb 2024, 18:10

Out digitally today in Germany, before the physical release in 2 weeks.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Feb 2024, 17:24

End credits music by Sacha Chaban (who I hope will be able to release his full score since he did on his previous films)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Feb 2024, 20:58

German back cover

By the way, I didn't say anything following my viewing but I just didn't have the words and I'm waiting to watch it a second time, but I'm quite fond of it despite a few weaknesses.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Feb 2024, 13:38

Co-star Christina Villa briefly talks WM on local TV
https://kvia.com/entertainment/2024/02/ ... wood-role/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Feb 2024, 15:57

Solid German review (the disc comes out on Thursday):
https://bluray--disc-de.translate.goog/ ... d_man_2023
(note to those who might watch the German-dubbed version, apparently even the Spanish dialogues have been dubbed instead giving them subtitles...)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Feb 2024, 19:03

Raised in El Paso, actress returns to film in Las Cruces (Interview with Christina Villa)
https://www.lascrucesbulletin.com/stori ... uces,71851
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Feb 2024, 00:58

Seemingly #1 rental on iTunes/Apple Germany over OPPENHEIMER...
https://www.chartoo.de/itunes/topmovierentals
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 19 Feb 2024, 09:52

Wow, the Germans really supports the old school action heroes genre!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 01 Mar 2024, 07:07

New episode alert! This month we're looking at the long-awaited WANTED MAN! The elusive Outlaw Vern joins me once again to chat the Dolph-Kelsey Grammar-immigration thriller! Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... anted-man/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes or wherever you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 04 Mar 2024, 20:53

Vern's review
https://outlawvern.com/2024/03/04/wanted-man/
There’s one small disconnect here in that we barely glimpse Rosa when she’s a prostitute at the beginning. One of the movie’s strengths is the non-judgmental way it portrays a character with that background, so I wish we had a first impression of her then to reconsider once we see more of her life. She has this nice family, including a loving mother who calls her “my princess,” and I think a really good touch is that this seems like it could be her old bedroom, with trophies on shelves, a soccer ball, a poster of some player. It looks very lived in, a history of a previous life before she tried to start over in America, got screwed by a coyote and stuck on the streets, doing a dangerous job Johansen can insult her for.
Villa is a really good co-lead, she has a strong screen presence, and a maturity that makes it work when they hint at some sexual tension between them, though thankfully it doesn’t turn into a big thing. She initially told Johansen “I don’t give a fuck about you,” but she goes behind her brother’s back to let him call home. Then some guys immediately show up to shoot up the house. Hmmm.

Here is a reality. Dolph Lundgren is 66 years old, and recovering from cancer, and Sean told me on the podcast that he really did need ankle surgery. He can’t physically do the type of action he used to do, and if they faked it it would seem silly. So most of what he does here is shoot people, and he seems to get very lucky in being able to hit these guys before they hit him. But I really like the way they approach it: being old is one of the main themes, he’s already dealing with an injury at the start of the movie, now has a freshly stitched up (by amateurs) bullet wound. So lumbering around and wincing are part of the story. And this scene has two particularly good action bits:

1) Cuffed-to-the-bed Johansen picking up a shotgun from Rosa’s fallen cousin Salvador (Jose Trujillo), propping it on his body, shooting out the door and through the fence, and we see Salvador’s killer’s body flop out from behind it.

2) A guy is about to shoot Rosa’s mom through the window and Johansen grabs him around the neck and stabs him repeatedly with a knife he got from the kitchen. Dolph’s face really sells it.

One moment I appreciate (I forgot to mention this on the podcast) is at the end when he’s sneaking over the border with a group of his former most hated people, Mexican migrants, and he sees the joy on their faces when they seem to have made it. He smiles and experiences that relief along with them while getting a better idea of their perspective. Whether or not he still talks shit at the strip club (or pool party), he has had one moment in his life where he understood.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies