SKIN TRADE (Ekachai Uekrongtham, 2014)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SKIN TRADE (Ekachai Uekrongtham, 2014)

Postby Jox on 11 Sep 2015, 23:07

Blu-ray review:
http://www.cutprintfilm.com/reviews/blu ... kin-trade/
THE PICTURE 4.5/5

Skin Trade makes for an excellent looking image, especially on this wonderful blu-ray presentation. The visuals on hand are stable, solid, crisp, clear, and carnage-ridden. Of very minor concern are momentary presences of swirling within deep blacks. As stated on the commentary track, this is the first foray into the action genre for director Uekrongtham, who at that point had done mostly “art pictures,” so there is an added visual quality to Skin Trade‘s manliness. This is preserved very well in the video presentation.

THE SOUND 4.5/5

Skin Trade had two options: sound awesome, or pack up and go home. Luckily, Skin Trade sounds awesome. Cracking gunfire, crunching punches and kicks, explosions, shattering glass, shrieking bad guys. There’s no mistaking this: Skin Trade is proudly loud, and it sounds tremendous. Alternately, the quieter moments are given their due. Dialogue is clear (unless it belongs to Tony Jaa) (sorry!) and the musical score by Jacob Groth (The “Millennium” Trilogy) is appropriately presented.

THE SUPPLEMENTS 4/5

Lundgren provides a solo commentary that shares a lot of background on the making of the film, which he’d written ten years prior to its production after having read a newspaper article about the human trafficking epidemic in Eastern Europe and Mexico. He delves into every aspect of the film-making process, from working with his assortment of actors to the writing process (to the rewriting process), to considering directing the film himself before stepping aside for Thai director Uekrongtham (who could hold better control over the Thai-speaking crew). He tends to repeat himself every so often, but only briefly. It’s also amusing to hear him crack a joke and then chuckle dryly about it. It’s a good listen for fans of the film or the man himself.

Next up is “The Making of Skin Trade,” which is your typical but still informative EPK-type interviews with most of the major players. (Interview footage of Michael Jai White looks terrible for some reason.) There’s a reasonable amount of overlap in regards to the information previously provided on the commentary track, but input from other participants obviously provides different perspectives on the production.

The complete list of special features is as follows:

Commentary with Actor/Writer/Producer Dolph Lundgren
Deleted/Extended Scenes
The Making of Skin Trade
Behind the Action: Fighting You Can Believe
Interview with Dolph Lundgren
A Look at Director Ekachai Uekrongtham
Trailers for Other Magnolia Home Entertainment Releases
BD-Live

OVERALL 3.5/5

Skin Trade is likely Dolph Lundgren’s best limited release/direct-to-video offering since 2012’s Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, even though it offers an entirely different aesthetic. It’s not often when even idle praise can be offered to any of our yesteryear action stars who have all gone direct to video with their careers, so when something comes along that offers a reasonable good time and a solid pedigree of action star actors (which Skin Trade easily boasts), then there’s no harm in indulging in well-meaning and somewhat brainless action fare.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby whiteandblank on 18 Sep 2015, 11:05

I liked it. Decent storyline, decent actors, good fight scenes. Probably one of his better films.

I think D gets unnecessary flak sometimes, I watched a JCVD film (the kidney one) and I wasn't impressed with it, Skin Trade was far better, yet he seems to get better reviews?

I have also noticed that D is doing his usual quick cameo types, but also being a bit more choosy with his roles. Good fir him, and I do hope he gets into producing and directing, I think he could do really well.
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank

Postby bomaz on 24 Sep 2015, 21:31

US DVD ranking
11 new Skin Trade 27,130 units $285,950 1week
bomaz

Postby Jox on 25 Sep 2015, 10:48

That's pretty good.

Source?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 25 Sep 2015, 12:00

Yes, sorry : the weekly DVD numbers on the-numbers.com (that's where I saw that The Package made 4 million on DVD sales alone).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 25 Sep 2015, 13:59

Thanks!

And it's #10 in combined Blu-ray/DVD sales with 39,409 units sold (12,000 Blus then) and a gross of $447,177...
http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-video-sales-chart
http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-dvd-sales-chart
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 25 Sep 2015, 18:07

Skin Trade is now on Netflix Uk.
Tom
Regular

Postby whiteandblank on 26 Sep 2015, 10:48

I watched it on Sky on demand.
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2015, 13:32

On-set EPK interview
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 02 Oct 2015, 02:26

Saw this on netflix for the first time last night and I still am processing it. I felt like Dolph put in a good performance along with a serviceable one by Jaa (he over acted his role a tiny bit) but I felt like the first half was in such a rush to get to Cambodia and setup the 2nd act with Dolph going full on revenge mode that they didn't allow us to get acquainted with the characters/story better at the beginning.

Didn't really get enough time with Dolph's family to feel any sort of connection with his pain/loss. Jaa/Jade seemed to have a chemistry that I more readily identified with. Having said that it was a well crafted flick and beautifully shot.. minus a few bad quick edits/scene transitions. Def some of Dolph's better work in the last few years.

I'd give it a 6.5/10 just because it had the feel of a theatrical release but the pacing issues of the story needed to be sorted out better.
Last edited by GeneralMcFaiL on 02 Oct 2015, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 02 Oct 2015, 10:08

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:I felt like the first half was in such a rush to get to Cambodia and setup the 2nd act with Dolph going full on revenge mode that they didn't allow us to get acquainted with the characters/story better at the beginning.

Didn't really get enough time with Dolph's family to feel any sort of connection with his pain/loss.

I agree (and yet I've seen reviewers complain that the first hour was "boring" although it played out quicker on the page). There was a bit more actually, and there were scenes that were omitted from the script, notably a sequence at at his daughter's high-school show of MACBETH before the docks shoot-out, that probably cut for budget reasons. But even there I felt it may be lacking of something as you said to have a deeper connection with his family and their massacre (especially since it's such an old gimmick in action flicks)
minus a few bad quick edits/scene transitions.
Yeah well, the editing has suffered from "created differences" in the released final cut...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 02 Oct 2015, 11:50

I've come to the point in his career where I want to see more of his "acting" than I do action. And if he does do action going forward I want it to mean something... ala Liam Neeson in Taken.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby dude hallenbeck on 04 Oct 2015, 01:24

Jox wrote:
GeneralMcFaiL wrote:I felt like the first half was in such a rush to get to Cambodia and setup the 2nd act with Dolph going full on revenge mode that they didn't allow us to get acquainted with the characters/story better at the beginning.

Didn't really get enough time with Dolph's family to feel any sort of connection with his pain/loss.

I agree (and yet I've seen reviewers complain that the first hour was "boring" although it played out quicker on the page).

I don't agree here guys. I think the film had enough cruelty in it, that it's for the best we didn't get to know Dolph's family well enough. If it didn't have to do with such a depressing subject matter, I'd probably agree.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 04 Oct 2015, 10:46

We don't know the box-office figure but SKIN TRADE seems to be doing well in Japan, where it's still playing (since July 25) and will do until the end of November and moving to more theaters and cities:
Hokkaido, Tohoku, Hokuriku, Kanto, Kansai, Chubu, Chugoku, Shikoku, Kyushu and Okinawa 9regions.
Skin Trade is due to be released Ehime, Shikoku in Nov 28.

http://www.eigakan.org/theaterpage/schedule.php?t=380

Thanks to our Japanese correspondent Ringy for the heads up! 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Oct 2015, 10:14

Interviews by David J. Moore, VideoScope Magazine #96

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies