UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING (John Hyams, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: THE NEW DIMENSION - 3D (2011) (in dev)

Postby preacher on 07 Sep 2010, 00:42

Maybe the lightnings (more 'Highlander' than US) and bluish look (too different from bottom part) are a bit over the top but still pretty cool.

Yeah It's a bit over the top.
It is supposed to be a reference Frankenstein where the monster is awakened by lightning.

I loved the focus on the 'Frankensteinian' themes in part 3.

Little Van Damme's better run when giant Dolph is after him!

8)
preacher
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Sep 2010, 00:51

Oh nice! Yeah it was brilliantly done (as the BLADE RUNNER homage was too).

Actually my masters thesis tackled with the echoes of the Frankenstein (and Prometheus) myth/creature in Dolph's filmography (mostly in earlier films from ROCKY IV to BRIDGE OF DRAGONS), as the "machine" turning against his creators while searching/finding its humanity...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 07 Sep 2010, 01:03

Yeah it was brilliantly done

Yeah it was.
The sequence where he turns against Dr Collin was very well crafted in particular, I think.
Scott enters and kills Topov and then turns and faces Dr Collin. We then see Collin in a wide-shot and it becomes clear how small, alone and helpless he is. Brilliant photography and editing there. Scott hasn't turned on him yet, it's like a preface of whats to come.

I know I am geeking-out now but i just love that scene.
preacher
Regular

Postby Dragonrage on 07 Sep 2010, 15:13

preacher wrote:By the way, Dragonrage.
I saw your Weapon-poster on the Van Damme-boards (where I am a silent spectator) and I really like it. Very nice composition, colors and good choice of photos!
Watch out or some distributor will steal that one too. ;)

O thank you...

I had a big problem with pictures. I had this idea to put their faces in the silhouettes of weapons...and I had bunch of pictures of weapons...but almost non of them worked as I planed. In the end...that picture with gun and bullets was OK...and I ad knife and some other stuff, but color add a loot to final look...

Yeah..that is always a possibility. Well...now its to late for putting water markers hehe....
Dragonrage

Postby Nathan on 05 Oct 2010, 18:14

According to Sheldon Lettich on the VanDammeForum, Van Damme is looking forward to US-4 but since John is still working on the script, it's almost certain it won't start in October. That and the fact Dolph seems to know very little about it. I knew from the start that October was too optimistic. I think it's possible we'll have the same situation as 2009 where Dolph films US-4 in March and goes straight onto The Expendables sequel, deja vu? Sly did quote March as an early as possible starting date for the sequel, I know he works fast but I'd place my bet on the middle of 2011 for TE-2, if anything.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nathan on 05 Oct 2010, 18:20

Jox wrote:Yep...

Fuck me, that was quick... :wink:
Nathan
Regular

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW DIMENSION - 3D (2011) (in dev)

Postby Jox on 26 Oct 2010, 21:33

Rumor has it on the VD forum that this could start filming in February 2011 (with a possible start date on the 14th), but we also know that the script isn't ready and Dolph hasn't confirmed it yet...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 27 Oct 2010, 01:44

Beat me to it... :wink: I think this is realistic, I always said it wouldn't start in October, I think February is definately a more realistic date and will hopefully give Hyams enough time to "get his shit together" as they say in the hood... 8)
Nathan
Regular

Postby Warchild on 29 Oct 2010, 15:17

If US4 is to be filmed then i don't want to see Dolph in it for just 10 minutes and JC for 20 minutes, i want to see Dolph and JC both having the same amount of time like they did in the first movie.

I mean Dolph was the best character in US3 and had only 3 scenes in the whole movie, same thing happen in TE where he played a great character and had only 5 or 6 scenes only, now they need to give Dolph a bigger role in these sequels.
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 17 Nov 2010, 20:47

Speaking of sequels are you excited to be shooting your first 3D movie with the new Universal Soldiers film?

Well, I haven’t actually signed up for the movie yet. I don’t think they can afford me now! Not after Expendables.

http://screenstalker.com/2010/11/17/one ... -lundgren/

SJ: Will you be in Universal Soldier: A New Dimension?

DL: I don’t know yet. I haven’t seen the script. I know it’s all on IMDB and all that but no, I don’t know. Hopefully there’s a way to work that into my schedule.

SJ: Are you surprised where that story has gone?

DL: I’ve never done any sequels so it’s kind of new to me. It was weird throwing Van Damme around after 18 years, wearing more or less the same outfit. It felt kind of strange but I suppose that’s where the business has gone now. It’s just so hard to get something released that anything that has a built in audience, any kind of name trademark value you keep doing them.

http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/mov ... -lundgren/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MFS on 29 Nov 2010, 20:30

Jox wrote:
Speaking of sequels are you excited to be shooting your first 3D movie with the new Universal Soldiers film?

Well, I haven’t actually signed up for the movie yet. I don’t think they can afford me now! Not after Expendables.

http://screenstalker.com/2010/11/17/one ... -lundgren/

SJ: Will you be in Universal Soldier: A New Dimension?

DL: I don’t know yet. I haven’t seen the script. I know it’s all on IMDB and all that but no, I don’t know. Hopefully there’s a way to work that into my schedule.

SJ: Are you surprised where that story has gone?

DL: I’ve never done any sequels so it’s kind of new to me. It was weird throwing Van Damme around after 18 years, wearing more or less the same outfit. It felt kind of strange but I suppose that’s where the business has gone now. It’s just so hard to get something released that anything that has a built in audience, any kind of name trademark value you keep doing them.

http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/mov ... -lundgren/

I fully agree with the last part about how hard it is the make something "new" in Hollywood, and I like how he almost sounds sad about it, 'cause it is sad, it really is.

Still, Universal Soldier: Regeneration was simply awesome, and I hope he knows that, so if his schedule allows it, he'll be in the next one. And I hope they can afford him as well, even if they don't pay as good as Uwe Boll does. :wink:
MFS

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2011, 12:23

Pre-sales continued at this week's European Film Market at the Berlin Festival
http://www.screendaily.com/news/distrib ... 29.article

Screen Daily says Michael Jai White also co-stars and production could be starting in a month?
Foresight Unlimited sells out on Universal Soldier 4

Foresight Unlimited owner Mark Damon has announced a slew of sales on Universal Soldier: A New Dimension, the fourth entry in the action canon set to begin production in a month.

Dolph Lundgren, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Michael Jai White star and John Hyams will direct following his work on Universal Soldier: Regeneration.

Pre-Berlin deals closed in the UK (Optimum), Germany (Telepool), Australia (Transmission), Japan (Nikkatsu), Taiwan (SSG), South Korea (Joy n Contents Group), Russia (Daro), Scandinavia (Mis.Label), English-speaking Canada (eOne) and Benelux (Les Filmes D’Elysee).

Rights also went in Latin America (California), the Middle East (Shooting Stars), Thailand (IPA), Turkey (Mars), South Africa (Nu Metro), Eastern Europe (SPI), China (HGC), India (Superfine), Indonesia (PT Amero) and Malaysia (Ram Indo). Sony holds US rights.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 16 Feb 2011, 20:24

Great news all round in my opinion, Michael Jai White is an up and coming name and a great fighter, as well as having a unique toughness and snarl, I don't care how many times Dolph plays Andrew Scott, he's always interesting and steals the show and if it means more great fights and action then I'm in. Fuck Van Damme, he brought jack shit to the table last time round, apart from his reluctance to do any fucking work.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nathan on 17 Feb 2011, 00:29

NoFear on the VanDamme forum said Mike Pyle's manager confirmed he is in US-4, for the moment.
Nathan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies